Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by theman »

rats19 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 pm I don’t think he is quite done yet ... I hope anyways 8-)
Looking at capfriendly, it appears that even the 'economical' teams are at the cap floor. I would love it if the Canucks could move Loui to one of them but I am not sure if that will happen. Not sure what else Benning can do until he is able to move that contract.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

theman wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:04 pm
rats19 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 pm I don’t think he is quite done yet ... I hope anyways 8-)
Looking at capfriendly, it appears that even the 'economical' teams are at the cap floor. I would love it if the Canucks could move Loui to one of them but I am not sure if that will happen. Not sure what else Benning can do until he is able to move that contract.
There’s Sutter and Sven too..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am
UWSaint wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:11 am Before the RFA signings, I figured that 2019-20 Stetch + VIrtanen + Gaudette + Motte would equal an AAV of 2020-21 Virtanen + Motte + Gaudette. I was off, it was cheaper. By about the difference between 2019-20 Markstom and 2020-21 Holtby.

JB did a good job with this. He selecting the right players to let walk (Stech because he wasn't worth the QO, as the free market demonstrated; Markstom because he wasn't good enough for the retirement contract for a team with backup ready to be promoted in that time and an excellent plan B). And he signed the RFAs to reasonable and even a bit team friendly deals.

At the end of the day, take a step back. With a flat cap, this is a slightly better team than the one that started last season.
I will go ahead and say that this team is, right now, quite a bit better seeing as their primary acquisition shored up the franchises most glaring weakness with a premium solution...defense. Tanev/Stetcher out < Schmidt/internal promotion.

The loss of Toffoli stings offensively but his presence wasn't a solution to getting pucks out of danger and up the ice.

Of course this is assuming Demko wasnt overreaching with his coming out party and is a legit 60 game/year goalie.
Quite a bit better? That’s a stretch. I’d still like to see another veteran defender brought in.

Schmidt >>> Tanev
Olaf/Cafferty/Brisebois << Stecher
Demko << Marky
Hawryluk <<< Toffoli

Leivo and Fantenberg are gone as well. The depth has taken a big hit. I think improvements can be made from within with guys like Petey, Hughes, Demko, Boeser improving. Shaggy Jake who the hell knows?

I hope Elmer isn’t done with this roster.
Please see the bolded red above (Toffoli wasn't here).

Schmidt >>>>>>>>>> Tanev.

Stecher is easily replaced (and with a lower cap hit).

Holtby/Demko could turn out to be as good as Marko/Demko.

(on paper you might be right about Marx over Holtby, but Demko has improved so)

But as always, thank you for tempering our expectations...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:40 am
Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:32 am
Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:21 am At least it means LE can get minored.
LE was always going to get minored if he's still here.
Geez Doc! Hatchings and chickens and all that shit, mm?

I hope your right.
He was benched for 21 regular season games and the final 6 playoff games.

Then there would be the obvious strategy of sending him down to get him to retire.

Yeah, he was always going to get minored if there are minors and he's still here.

Not sure why you think the inevitable re-signing of Jake has any effect on dat dere.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

@ Doc I was responding to Brown Lizzy’s hot take that the team was “quite a bit better”

I don’t see it.... yet. I love the addition of Schmidt, have always liked this player. If nothing else happens, I could see a similar level of play in the coming season and a team ready to battle for a playoff spot.

As I said, hopefully Benning isn’t done yet. The depth has taken a hit for now.

I know better than trying to temper anyone’s expectations. :lol:

I’m just happy the team is finally competitive again after being so shitty. I still think we are a couple years from seeing a true contender but the ride should be fun.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

UWSaint wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:11 am Before the RFA signings, I figured that 2019-20 Stetch + VIrtanen + Gaudette + Motte would equal an AAV of 2020-21 Virtanen + Motte + Gaudette. I was off, it was cheaper. By about the difference between 2019-20 Markstom and 2020-21 Holtby.

JB did a good job with this. He selecting the right players to let walk (Stech because he wasn't worth the QO, as the free market demonstrated; Markstom because he wasn't good enough for the retirement contract for a team with backup ready to be promoted in that time and an excellent plan B). And he signed the RFAs to reasonable and even a bit team friendly deals.

At the end of the day, take a step back. With a flat cap, this is a slightly better team than the one that started last season.
I will go ahead and say that this team is, right now, quite a bit better seeing as their primary acquisition shored up the franchises most glaring weakness with a premium solution...defense. Tanev/Stetcher out < Schmidt/internal promotion.

The loss of Toffoli stings offensively but his presence wasn't a solution to getting pucks out of danger and up the ice.

Of course this is assuming Demko wasnt overreaching with his coming out party and is a legit 60 game/year goalie.
Quite a bit better? That’s a stretch. I’d still like to see another veteran defender brought in.

Schmidt >>> Tanev
Demko << Marky
Hawryluk <<< Toffoli

Leivo and Fantenberg are gone as well. The depth has taken a big hit. I think improvements can be made from within with guys like Petey, Hughes, Demko, Boeser improving. Shaggy Jake who the hell knows?

This is a debatable claim.

I firmly believe that Stetcher was a player who made everyone around him worse. He juggled pucks then moved them like a hot potato. He rarely processed pucks smoothly which was a beacon to forecheckers to cover the closest outlet options. Whats odd is Tanev was starting to do the same...

Change my mind!

Oh and the guy coming in to help Demko is a very good goaltender as well so that claim is also debatable

Yup...quite a bit better indeed

:mex:
If you need air...call it in
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Micky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 am Jake Virtanen talks for almost 20 minutes on Sportsnet radio and didn't even mention this:
Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff
Tyler Myers is apparently taking on the Tanev 'dad' role. Virtanen works out with him every morning in Kelowna: 'he treats me like his son'
11:28 AM · Oct 22, 2020
Talked plenty on how much JT miller had been helping him this season.

contract structure..
2020-21: $1.7M
2021-22: $3.4M
This is really a shit or get off the pot contract. RFA with a $3.4 mil cap hit means a big qualifying offer, , or he goes unqualified. But, he is very affordable this year. And, the best part is we can fit him into the cap with a bit of monkeying around - without- having to dump a contract and assets.

Benning is likely not done, but if he is, the team is in fair shape, and we know the rookies will get a pile of games in. With such a messed up potential year coming up, I am hoping JB stands pat, and plays the pss out of some rookies. He can now wait until things go back to normal, instead of being a seller.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Schmidt >>> Tanev
Demko << Marky
Hawryluk <<< Toffoli

As for the goaltending, did you miss that Holtby was signed? The guy had a single off year and has had many great seasons. Chances are good that he will get things worked out. If you asked me last year who I would rather have as a starting goalie, I'd have taken Holtby in a heartbeat. Markstrom's never been one of the leagues elite, Holtby has. Perhaps Markstrom's a slightly better pick to have a better season this year than Holtby, but Holtby + Demko with another year of experience (and confidence from standing on his head against Vegas) is basically a wash and certainly doesn't deserve more than one <.

As for the defense, two << for a bottom pair is a lot smaller downgrade than the upgrade of >>> for a top 4 improvement. Overall contribution to the team must factor in 21-22 minutes a night vs. 14-15 minutes. And as for those young guys being a downgrade on Stecher, I think that its fair to conservatively project that each individually more likely to be a step back than a step forward (or holding serve), only one needs to exceed a conservative projection to match the capability of last year's bottom pair.

The future of the Canucks requires that training wheels be taken off of the players in the system and they be given their shot. Wanting another veteran D is understandable, but I really don't think that the Canucks would be wise to sign a veteran bottom pairing guy to play in the bottom pairing (given what's currently under contract). League minimum tweeners like Fantenberg for competition are fine; a "reliable" vet who isn't better than someone in the top 4 is not worth diminishing any other aspect of this roster. You don't know whether these system players can swim until you throw them in the water.

[I see as I was typing this while multitasking SL basically covered these points....]
Hono_rary Canadian
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm @ Doc I was responding to Brown Lizzy’s hot take that the team was “quite a bit better”
Right, and he was commenting directly on UW's statement:

"this is a slightly better team than the one that started last season."

UW said "slightly better team" than the one that started last season

... and Wiz responded with “quite a bit better team” (than the one that started last season).

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm I’m just happy the team is finally competitive again after being so shitty. I still think we are a couple years from seeing a true contender but the ride should be fun.
It's already fun. :rockin:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 am Stecher
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 am Stecher
Doc, what's with the Micky-like obsession with that poor dog? (Sorry Micky, I wanted an analogy Doc would understand. :D )
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they are only slightly better, Boeser scores and they beat Vegas.
Western finals sound good.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

@ UW, I meant to type in Holtby where I typed in Demko.

I agree that they need to play these young guys to find out what they are. I don’t think there is much there as none of them was close to bumping Stecher, Benn or Fantenberg out of a job. But I guess we will see. If they could sign a decent defender who can anchor the 3rd pairing and kill penalties that would be good. Play a kid and Benn as your 6/7.

Again as shitty as Stecher is he would be the clear #5 D man on this team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:48 pm If they are only slightly better, Boeser scores and they beat Vegas.
Jake will get us there... :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:48 pm If they are only slightly better, Boeser scores and they beat Vegas.
So fucking close :evil:
"evolution"