2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rocky Dennis
CC Veteran

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:34 pm I wouldn’t trade Bo alone for the pick
+1
Although I admit not knowing much about the draft prospects. I'm just totally averse to parting with Bo anytime soon.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Mëds wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:17 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm I definitely think they need to change the draft lottery. Said it for years.

I like some of Burke's thoughts on it.

If you win the lottery you can't pick 1st overall again for 3-5 years.

You also can't pick in the top-3 the following season.

Only the bottom 10 teams should have a shot at the top-3.
I like the idea of a completely different seeding. Take all the teams that miss the playoffs. Rank them from best to worst winning percentage from the TDD to the end of the season. The team with the best winning percentage drafts first and so on. This completely takes away any notion of tanking. In fact it gives teams a huge incentive to win. It rewards GMs who make astute moves to keep their team competitive during the rebuild years. It takes 100% of the randomness out of it.

Handle rounds 2-7 the way you do now. But they have to fix the system. I don't know how it would have worked out for us over the last 4-5 years as I haven't done the math so this idea, which is not original to me, isn't based upon bias. It simply rewards teams that always try to ice the best line up and always try to be competitive and win. And I hate the randomness of the lottery. It still rewards incompetence and tanking.
The only problem I see with your idea there Wids is that it would absolutely punish a team like the we were this year.....decimated by injuries which probably tanked our winning percentage a fair amount. If they could somehow factor in an algorithm that could account for man-games lost to injury or something that tempered things.....i dunno.
... it wouldn't have made a lick of difference this year. We would have drafted about 10th...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Hawks - Turcotte (local kid)
Lanche - Cozens (need centre, Jost busting)
Kings - Podkozlin (need scoring)
Wings - Byram (need D, tons of young forwards)
Sabres - Boldy (need wingers, too many centres)
Oilers - Krebs (local kid, can play wing)
Ducks - Dach (need forwards, perry, Getz, kesler done)
Canucks - Zegras or Soderstrom or Caulfield
Yes please to Zegras or Soderstrom. Caulfield I like, but he's sooooo small he's a tough one to figure out. He's even smaller than Debrincat and I'm not sure if that translates. Maybe it does and I look stupid, I just like going bigger player if all else is equal.
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:33 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:34 pm I wouldn’t trade Bo alone for the pick
+1
Although I admit not knowing much about the draft prospects. I'm just totally averse to parting with Bo anytime soon.
Ya I don't think I trade Bo for any of the picks this year, especially since I assume we'd have to include the 10th overall as well. 10th + Bo is worth more than Jack Hughes, IMHO.

Next year is a better draft so perhaps it would change then, but for this year I hope Jimbo just keeps his pick and drafts either a top 6 forward (lots of choices) or a top 4 D (Soderstrom should be available).
Carlyee
CC Veteran

Post by Carlyee »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:42 am
+1
Ya I don't think I trade Bo for any of the picks this year, especially since I assume we'd have to include the 10th overall as well. 10th + Bo is worth more than Jack Hughes, IMHO.

Next year is a better draft so perhaps it would change then, but for this year I hope Jimbo just keeps his pick and drafts either a top 6 forward (lots of choices) or a top 4 D (Soderstrom should be available).
Keep Bo Trade Brock.
Rocky Dennis
CC Veteran

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Also thought I'd add that it's good to see this thread getting back on track

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

The real problem with the draft is the agent giving these kids advice.

Telling a 21 year old to accept the 70 million dollar 8 year deal, where all the kid (Andy probably most parents see) is the money.. they can't say no.

If McDavid signs a 2 year deal with Edmonton instead of 8, and Edmonton (or other perennial bottom team) is not making the appropriate moves forward, they tell ownership (or not) they are not renewing and are traded at TDD or gonzo in Fa (Tavares).

Edmonton can have all the first overall picks they want if the players keep moving on.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

+1

We won't be drafting top 10 next year, so it don't matter.
Rocky Dennis
CC Veteran

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 am
+1

Keep Bo Trade Brock.
This I'm still not opposed to even though, like HW, I was really pleased to see how he finished the season. Especially in contrast to a lot of the lacklustre play (effort?) we saw at points during the season. That all being said, I still don't do 10OA plus Brock for 1OA. Does anyone make that deal straight up? Don't think Jersey does. If I'm trading Brock, it's for a young, high end d-man.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 am
+1

22 and 36 in 60 minute games. Dragged 24 games into gimmick time to pad the win total to get to 81 points. There’s a good chance they are drafting top 5 next year.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 am
Mëds wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:17 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm I definitely think they need to change the draft lottery. Said it for years.

I like some of Burke's thoughts on it.

If you win the lottery you can't pick 1st overall again for 3-5 years.

You also can't pick in the top-3 the following season.

Only the bottom 10 teams should have a shot at the top-3.
I like the idea of a completely different seeding. Take all the teams that miss the playoffs. Rank them from best to worst winning percentage from the TDD to the end of the season. The team with the best winning percentage drafts first and so on. This completely takes away any notion of tanking. In fact it gives teams a huge incentive to win. It rewards GMs who make astute moves to keep their team competitive during the rebuild years. It takes 100% of the randomness out of it.

Handle rounds 2-7 the way you do now. But they have to fix the system. I don't know how it would have worked out for us over the last 4-5 years as I haven't done the math so this idea, which is not original to me, isn't based upon bias. It simply rewards teams that always try to ice the best line up and always try to be competitive and win. And I hate the randomness of the lottery. It still rewards incompetence and tanking.
The only problem I see with your idea there Wids is that it would absolutely punish a team like the we were this year.....decimated by injuries which probably tanked our winning percentage a fair amount. If they could somehow factor in an algorithm that could account for man-games lost to injury or something that tempered things.....i dunno.
... it wouldn't have made a lick of difference this year. We would have drafted about 10th...
We'd be around 8th.

Top 5 would be some mix of Florida/Arizona/Anaheim/Montreal/Edmonton.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 am
+1

22 and 36 in 60 minute games. Dragged 24 games into gimmick time to pad the win total to get to 81 points. There’s a good chance they are drafting top 5 next year.
Way to early to make that call. If they add a top six left winger and a top four right side defensemen over the summer, plus a few tweeners they can call up from Utica, they have a very good chance of making the playoffs.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:35 pm
As for trading the pick - I don’t see Jimbo moving up, it’s just too expensive. I could see him trading a couple of Tanev, Hutton, Sutter, etc for some 2nds, 3rds or 4ths, but unless Jimbo wants to trade Tanev for a 2nd and then flip both is 2nds for a late 1st I doubt much will happen at the top end of the draft.
We will get a very good player - stay the course, keep drafting, and hopefully trade some of the dead wood for extra picks.

Good sense wins the day!! Trying to trade up would absolutely be expensive. Why? Because it would involve one of Bo, Brock or Pete.
LMFAO, I don't think so.
You see young Jack last nite? He's a 17 year old kid. "HOWEVER"; and by no means trying to be an ass or someone with a dislike agenda,
WOULD anyone think it prudent to speakith to New Jersey at a later time?

Quinn for Nico Hischier and your 2020 1st. I don't even know if I would, but do you explore stuff like this?
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

+1

Hopefully you're right - will depend on what they do this off-season, as I think without some changes that's right around where they will be next year too.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Hawks - Turcotte (local kid)
Lanche - Cozens (need centre, Jost busting)
Kings - Podkozlin (need scoring)
Wings - Byram (need D, tons of young forwards)
Sabres - Boldy (need wingers, too many centres)
Oilers - Krebs (local kid, can play wing)
Ducks - Dach (need forwards, perry, Getz, kesler done)
Canucks - Zegras or Soderstrom or Caulfield
Usually some teams lists differ vastly from most mock lists, I can see some teams where they value Soderstrom more than others - being the top right handed dman available.

+ Zegras being highly touted.

Those two being in the top 9 should bump a couple good players to #10.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.