US Erection 12 *AND* 16

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 pm
Lol, UK you missed that one already; check back about three pages. Typical SL avoidance/distraction tactic.
We on the other side of the fence (who use the other side of our brain) like to wait until all the facts are in

... before making serious responses to the latest Trumped-up accusations.

But we do get a good chuckle out of you half-cocked folk running around with your arms flailing wildly. :D

You people and your ASSumptions amirite! :lol:

ASS soon ASS it hits the leftist media y'all are off and running! :lol:

Scream it for me again, c'mon... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Serious personality swapping going on here. Everything alright SL?

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:32 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:27 pm
Serious personality swapping going on here. Everything alright SL?
Oopsie thanks I edited it... note to self: Never drink and post! :drink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:32 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:27 pm
Serious personality swapping going on here. Everything alright SL?
Oopsie thanks I edited it... note to self: Never drink and post! :drink:
LOL then when would we post? First thing in the morning?

Seriously though, I wasn't responding to accusations against Trump. I was responding purely on the matter of a business' finances. Cos, you know, your rationalisation was sounding as bad as the Dude talking about bonds.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully that's still funny in the morning. G'night!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3669
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by ukcanuck » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:09 am

5thhorseman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 pm
ukcanuck wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:31 pm
Speaking of cashing in, I see that the next G7 meeting will be held in the swamp thing’s personal resort...

What will be the defense for that? He doesn’t own the swamp his kids own it?


Watch out here comes the straw man carrying a red herring hoping no one will notice
Lol, UK you missed that one already; check back about three pages. Typical SL avoidance/distraction tactic.
He’s providing the venue at cost???

That’s the defense?

And I’m deluded !?

Lucky it’s a hockey chat site and you don’t have to say that with a straight face.

This issue alone should be enough to impeach anyone. Even if it were done at cost. Whatever that means, the appearance of impropriety should be enough.

The fact that it hardly moves the needle beyond the needling of our beloved Doctor Strangelove is pretty much all that needs to be said about how we are all drowning in the swamp.

This presidency is more than the failure of a fat greasy pig, it’s the failing of democracy. Just like capitalism, democracy seems to fall into cronyism too easily.

There has to be a better way.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:09 am
This issue alone should be enough to impeach anyone.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 4744
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Per » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 am
ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:09 am
This issue alone should be enough to impeach anyone.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yup. UK is right on the money.

E-M-O-L-U-M-E-N-T-S :look:
The plain purpose of the foreign emoluments clause was to ensure that the country’s leaders would not be improperly influenced, even unconsciously, through gift giving, then a common and generally corrupt practice among European rulers and diplomats. An early version of the clause, modeled on a rule adopted by the Dutch Republic in 1651 that forbade its foreign ministers from receiving “any presents, directly or indirectly, in any manner or way whatever,” was incorporated into the Articles of Confederation (1781) as Article VI, Paragraph I: Nor shall any person holding any office of profit or trust under the United States, or any of them, accept any present, emolument, office or title of any kind whatever from any King, Prince or foreign State; nor shall the United States in Congress assembled, or any of them, grant any title of nobility.

All but the prohibition of titles of nobility was dropped from the initial draft of the Constitution but eventually restored at the request of Charles Pinckney, who argued at the Constitutional Convention for “the necessity of preserving foreign Ministers & other officers of the U.S. independent of foreign influence.” The final text of the clause included a provision that permitted acceptance of foreign gifts with the explicit approval of Congress, perhaps reflecting the awkward experience of Benjamin Franklin, who as American minister to France had been presented with a bejeweled snuff box by Louis XVI and, not wishing to offend the king, asked Congress for permission to keep it (permission was granted).

Although there has been some debate regarding the exact meaning and scope of the foreign emoluments clause, nearly all scholars agree that it applies broadly to all federal officeholders, appointed or elected, up to and including the president. That interpretation is supported by the historical record, such as it is, of the Constitution’s drafting as well as by the past practice of presidential administrations and Congresses. Thus Edmund Jennings Randolph, one of the Framers, remarked at the Virginia ratifying convention that the clause protected against the danger of “the President receiving Emoluments from foreign powers,” even asserting that a president who violates the clause “may be impeached.” There was no recorded dissent from Randolph’s view. From at least the early 19th century, presidents who were offered gifts by foreign states routinely requested Congress’s permission to accept them, and foreign rulers were politely informed (sometimes by the president himself) of the constitutional restriction regarding gifts. (The sole exception seems to have been George Washington, who accepted a print from the French ambassador without consulting Congress.)

The foreign emoluments clause also broadly encompasses any kind of profit, benefit, advantage, or service, not merely gifts of money or valuable objects. Thus, it would prohibit a federal officeholder from receiving special consideration in business transactions with a foreign state (or with a corporation owned or managed by a foreign state) that gave the officeholder a competitive advantage over other businesses. Arguably, as the legal scholar Laurence Tribe and others have suggested, the clause would forbid even competitively fair transactions with foreign states, because the profit accruing to the officeholder would fall within the ordinary meaning of “emolument,” and because such arrangements would threaten exactly the kind of improper influence that the clause was intended to prevent.
You may try to argue that this is a hostile and partial description, but hey - it’s as text book and objective as it gets; it’s straight from a dictionary! :lol:

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-i ... nts-clause

If any other president than Trump had committed such a jaw dropping violation of the constitution it would be the only thing people talked about. But Trump has raised the bar by producing scandals on a weekly or almost daily basis, so now people hardly even blink at this text book example (see above) of an impeachable offense. Sad really. Our expectations are so much lower. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:43 pm

WPE

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Per wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 pm
You may try to argue that this is a hostile and partial description, but hey - it’s as text book and objective as it gets; it’s straight from a dictionary! :lol:

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-i ... nts-clause
Not sure if serious.

The Emoluments Clause has to do with governmental officials accepting what could be construed as bribes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_of_Nobility_Clause

(usually you link to Wikipedia but for some reason you chose Britannica for the 1st time ever) :wink:

Do you really think G-7ers staying at the Doral could be construed as bribery? :roll:

Secretary of State Edmund Jennings Randolph resigned in disgrace in 1795 btw.

(ironically enough due to a foreign bribery scandal)

Since then the rules for impeachment have changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachme ... ted_States

It is laughable to suggest The Donald could be impeached for this.

(which is why no impeachment-happy Dem is even suggesting it)

The Donald is a unique Prez in that he came in owning countless top hotel chains and whatnot.

(as opposed to Obama who came in with nothing and is now worth $150M)

Everyone knew from the get-go that because of dat dere lawsuits were inevitable

... as foreign money was going to flow into Trump holdings.

But impeachment because of it?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This Doral question is nothing new, this stuff has been going on since Inauguration Day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

Inauguration Day? That reminds me: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!" Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:43 pm
WPE
Yes we are aware of your "thoughts" on this matter:
Reefer2 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm
WPE

Likes incest, why else would he comment about how “hot” his daughter is at the age of 16?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To quote Bugs Bunny: OMG wot a maroon!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:10 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:43 pm
WPE
Yes we are aware of your "thoughts" on this matter:
Reefer2 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm
WPE

Likes incest, why else would he comment about how “hot” his daughter is at the age of 16?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To quote Bugs Bunny: OMG wot a maroon!
Never change Strange, no matter how stupid you look.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3669
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by ukcanuck » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:02 pm
Per wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 pm
You may try to argue that this is a hostile and partial description, but hey - it’s as text book and objective as it gets; it’s straight from a dictionary! :lol:

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-i ... nts-clause
Not sure if serious.

The Emoluments Clause has to do with governmental officials accepting what could be construed as bribes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_of_Nobility_Clause

(usually you link to Wikipedia but for some reason you chose Britannica for the 1st time ever) :wink:

Do you really think G-7ers staying at the Doral could be construed as bribery? :roll:

Secretary of State Edmund Jennings Randolph resigned in disgrace in 1795 btw.

(ironically enough due to a foreign bribery scandal)

Since then the rules for impeachment have changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachme ... ted_States

It is laughable to suggest The Donald could be impeached for this.

(which is why no impeachment-happy Dem is even suggesting it)

The Donald is a unique Prez in that he came in owning countless top hotel chains and whatnot.

(as opposed to Obama who came in with nothing and is now worth $150M)

Everyone knew from the get-go that because of dat dere lawsuits were inevitable

... as foreign money was going to flow into Trump holdings.

But impeachment because of it?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This Doral question is nothing new, this stuff has been going on since Inauguration Day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

Inauguration Day? That reminds me: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!" Image
There has been plenty said about trumps refusal to disclose his finances. His bullshit sleight of hand to divest himself of his investments. We all know he’s a con man even his base knows it (they pray for his redemption all the time) And thank you for repeating my point for me. This egregious flagrancy doesn’t move the needle, it should be impeachable but it’s not. It’s not because we are all numb to it. Especially you doc. You call us deluded but you’ll accept and defend your orange lord until you’ve twisted yourself into knots.

You can’t even admit holding the G7 at his on resort is a conflict of interest. Holy shit so much for objectivity

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21985
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:00 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:45 pm
There has been plenty said about trumps refusal to disclose his finances. His bullshit sleight of hand to divest himself of his investments. We all know he’s a con man even his base knows it (they pray for his redemption all the time) And thank you for repeating my point for me. This egregious flagrancy doesn’t move the needle, it should be impeachable but it’s not. It’s not because we are all numb to it. Especially you doc. You call us deluded but you’ll accept and defend your orange lord until you’ve twisted yourself into knots.
I'm twisted in knots?? :lol:

You and yours:

viewtopic.php?p=358046#p358046

viewtopic.php?p=349834#p349834
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Post Reply