Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by damonberryman »

"The process always involves attempts at a negotiated settlement. You have to believe that the district attorney does not have irrefutable evidence of guilt or they would absolutely pursue charges."

Sounds like her word against his. In the US that means the person who has the money to hire the best lawyer will win
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

rikster wrote:
Yes called out indeed
This might make it easier for you Blob...

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

How did Justin Schultz get to 3.9 so quickly?

Going through that list certainly puts things into perspective, suddenly Sbisa's contract doesn't look too bad after all. There are a number of decent contracts there but so many over payments. Just goes to show that the costs for dmen is very high.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote:
Top 30 for sure. Hey, wait. We have a bad contract, just like every other team. Wow. we need a new GM!!!!
Because there's only one shitty contract on the Canucks right ??
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:
rikster wrote:
Yes called out indeed

91 points in 203 games.

At his current rate it'll be interesting to see which milestone Luca Sbisa hits first, 100 points or 500 Games Played.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Top 30 for sure. Hey, wait. We have a bad contract, just like every other team. Wow. we need a new GM!!!!
Because there's only one shitty contract on the Canucks right ??
I'm still waiting to see a signing that really makes me think: "we got a great deal." Tanev is probably his best signing, and even his contract is fairly "market value" looking at the above link. The rest range from underwhelming to dumpster fire.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Good News out of Boston.
All three of the Bruins’ first-round picks failed a conditioning test on Thursday, Joe Haggerty at Comcast Sportsnet reports.

Zboril, DeBrusk, and Senyshyn failed to complete six back-and-forth 300 metre sprints in under one minute per each run. The trio of 18-year-olds even had three minutes of rest between each sprint.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sbisa held the d together when there were some injuries for a half dozen games.
Single-handedly got us into the playoffs? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

Too name a few more players/contracts I would take Sbisa over:

Wisniewski, Niskanen, Phaneuf, Marc Staal, Andy Green, Petry, Bieksa, Campbell, Beauchemin, Nikitin

Those are just the d-men who have worse contracts than Sbisa.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BladesofSteel wrote:Too name a few more players/contracts I would take Sbisa over:

Wisniewski, Niskanen, Phaneuf, Marc Staal, Andy Green, Petry, Bieksa, Campbell, Beauchemin, Nikitin

Other than Phaneuf and Nikitin I agree with none of those names . Orpik is probably worse but as I said Luca is among the very worst and among a few garbage contracts handed out by Iggy .
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
rikster wrote:
Yes called out indeed

91 points in 203 games.

At his current rate it'll be interesting to see which milestone Luca Sbisa hits first, 100 points or 500 Games Played.
Yeah like that is all that matters when it comes to D-men. Schultz is such a stalwart defensively the Oilers were considering converting him to forward. Not sure why they would do such a thing. How about he sucks defensively. But that don't matter, he puts up points on the PP. 5 on 5? BFD
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:Too name a few more players/contracts I would take Sbisa over:

Yeah I agree, his 3 year, $10.8 million contract and no NTC is an awful contract. Ballards $4.2 million per year was much more pliable. Jabrones like IN and Booze McKenzie had no issue with Keith Buyout Ballards contract.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Topper wrote:... for all to squeeze.
Only buffalo stepped up with the tweezers

I guess they had to with the mad frenzy of teams vying for the services of Franson. There were so many offers to choose from he took all summer to mull them over, finally choosing to sign $2 million per year less , 3-4 years less than what all the CC'ers here anticipated the great BC born and raised beloved Cody Franson would sign for and with the worst team in the league. Phew, great decision Cody
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

The rest range from underwhelming to dumpster fire

The level of whining going on over Sbisa's contract for some reason reminds me of the level of whining going on in our political system...

While the Americans have their scandals known as Benghazi and IRS and Emails to name a few, we Canadians, not wanting to be outdone, have our own little scandal which is the Duffy trial...

I just don't think a Senator who got cheating on his expense account and a member of his party repaying the bill from his personal account ranks up there with what the American's scandals are over...

So while other teams deal with contracts to the likes of Phaneuf and Staal ( who will be paid as much this year as what Sbisa will be paid over the life of his deal ) and Campbell and Stastny to name a few, we have the Sbisa contract to fret over...

Only in Vancouver, eh...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Luca is among the very worst and among a few garbage contracts handed out by Iggy .
Good point Blob and one which the Jim Benning cock chomping gang can't seem to fathom . It isn't JUST the Sbisa contract that raises red flags about this mans ability to navigate a salary cap. There are just as many NTC as when Eye Bags was here and for all intents and purposes Luca may as well have one .

Jim Ignitowski scares the hell out of me when it comes to the cap especially if this team ever gets competitive again under his watch . Think of it like the dude managing his paycheque every two weeks . He has to make 2000$ last for fourteen days . So he makes his mortgage payment which he's already behind on and pays his cell phone bill. He ignores his home phone bill and the hydro while making a meager payment to Terasen gas. He spends 100$ on groceries for his family and puts 20$ in his Yugo . Then he proceeds to the liquor store where he buys a couple flats of Lucky and a case of royal red . Stops by Rummys for an eight ball and his cheque is gone . Sure he gets pissed all weekend and end up with purple teeth and a bloody nose but he has no money for the next 11 days . He has done this repeatedly over the years but some people are gullible enough to think he will actually change his habits in the future . He can't and neither can Iggy . Hopefully he doesn't saddle this team with too many royal reds ( Sutter, Miller , Dorsett) or lucky lagers ( Sbisa) for when the next guy comes in .
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I see parallels with the whining over Sbisa with the whining over young KB3 and Alex Edler. I don't know if Sbisa will ever develop into what KB3 was or Edler is, but the whining has found a new place to hang its cork screw.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.