Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Per »

Hank wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm Back on track...

Canucks Young Guns

Per, what's he saying?
"I'm here in Sundsvall with Jonathan Dahlén and Elias Pettersson.
I thought you should get to try on your new jerseys.
How does it feel?"
EP: "A bit large. But with all the hockey gear under it should be alright."
JD: "Nice looking jerseys. Feels great!"
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Per wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:15 am

Canucks Young Guns

Per, what's he saying?
How does it feel?"
Reporter: "But that's already a boy's x-small size, Elias."
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Technically speaking, Elias is 6’2. The sleeve of an extra small would end near his elbow. That would be a crap response by the reporter. The guy is lanky, but not short. Now a more reasonable response would be if the reporter wondered how Elias got the the jersey over the top of his huge alien forehead. Those two together kind of remind me of pinky and the brain.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:05 am Those two together kind of remind me of pinky and the brain.
And they're here to take over the (NHL) world. ;)
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

CP... is a joke, man.

He'll move up to a boy's small size jersey soon enough. ;)
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Canucks Young Guns

Per, what's he saying?
How does it feel?"
I liked my translation much better...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:05 am Now a more reasonable response would be if the reporter wondered how Elias got the the jersey over the top of his huge alien forehead.
There, ya see Per? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Canucks Young Guns

Per, what's he saying?
How does it feel?"
I liked my translation much better...
Of course. As a Trump supporter you obviously don't care that much for the truth, right? :lol:

Try reading this book. It's not about politics, but about understanding how to get to the facts rather than falling victim to all the prejudices we all carry with us, and to some extent are part of human nature.

https://www.amazon.ca/Factfulness-Reaso ... 1250107814
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:03 pm Try reading this book. It's not about politics, but about understanding how to get to the facts rather than falling victim to all the prejudices we all carry with us, and to some extent are part of human nature.
Gonna hafta pass... that book certainly hasn't helped you in that regard old friend. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Gaudette working way toward Canucks roster
Forward, Hobey Baker Award winner proud of 'blue-collar' background

LINK
"His freshman year at Northeastern he wasn't this fancy-type player or highly skilled player that you would have seen his junior year in his Hobey Baker year," Johnson said. "I could see that and I could see that it was going to come together slowly, but what you did see was this dog-on-a-bone compete [level] and that he finished every check and with that character, with that compete level, when everything did come together, you knew he was going to be a scary player."

"He's had an incredible offseason, he's continued to work and try to improve and I'm excited to see even a more evolved product," Johnson said. "I think [we will see] the best version of Adam come September.

"I expect him to come in and have a huge training camp for us."

Gaudette sounds ready to do so.

"I've always been kind of a guy who's been looked down on, that won't really get anywhere, but I embraced that, took that in and turned it around and used it as motivation," Gaudette said. "I think that, no matter what, people are going to doubt [me] at every level. I've already heard it about the NHL and nothing would make me more satisfied than to just go in and prove them wrong."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gaudette strikes me as a Travis Green type, he'll probably be TG's fave in short time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Just hoping one of Gaudette or Pettersson get one of the centre spots along with Horvat, Sutter and Beagle. I’d hate to see Gagner or Granlund get in a centre spot over either of them.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:56 pm Just hoping one of Gaudette or Pettersson get one of the centre spots along with Horvat, Sutter and Beagle. I’d hate to see Gagner or Granlund get in a centre spot over either of them.
Granlund will play wing again, but we are prolly hanging onto Gagner just in case one of those kids isn't ready for center duties..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Michigan coach Mel Pearson via TSN:
Mel Pearson on Will Lockwood: We have high expectations for him, and I mentioned that to Jim Benning.

Will Lockwood looks fantastic, it's the best shape I've seen him in. He's got definition top him this year, he's worked extremely hard. He's a very dynamic player and we missed him
I'm feeling a little better about our power play now than I did last week. Everyone here at @umichhockey is very excited to get Quinn Hughes back for another year

We just sat back and let Quinn and his family do its business with the #Canucks. Quinn and I talked this past Friday, had a candid conversation..and later that night, after talking with Vancouver and his parents, he was coming back
Mel Pearson on Hughes: He wanted to make sure we were on base with the things he wanted to accomplish this year-getting stronger, getting better as a player. He wanted to know if he could go out and shoot pucks a couple times a week in the morning, wanted to work on his shot more.

It's just getting physically stronger. That will help his containment defensively and his shot.The other things are just in the game. Playing with a bit more bite, physicality at times. His explosiveness in his skating. He's an elite skater, but can get better.
Keep forgetting about Lockwood, add another energy beast to the pile of Canucks prospects. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

That clip with the jerseys was actually a teaser for a lengthy interview (in writing) on that same website.
Now, I'm busy vacationing, but I've taken a few minutes now and then to translate that thing, and I'm finally done.
See, this is more of a fan site, so the writer hasn't cleaned up the answers as much as reporters usually do, and sometimes the kids are a bit all over the place. Some places I've written "sick, unreal," when the Swedish expression actually is "sjukt overkligt" which would literally translate as "sickly unrealistic". I think my translation is as close as you can get to the gist of it though. I've also written "damned fun" when the Swedish phrase is "skitkul" which means "fun as shit". Once again, trying to get the gist across while staying close to the original. Bear with me. Here goes:

PUBLISHED: 22 JULY, 2018
In the footsteps of the Sedin twins: “If we ever become that good, I’ll take that any day of the week”

Ronnie Rönnkvist

In Vancouver they are spoken of as the Sedins’ successors. Elias Pettersson and Jonathan Dahlén is the Swedish duo that has made a whole supporter group see a bright future. The goal is crystal clear: playing for the Vancouver Canucks next season. Preferably together.
“I don’t think it is a coincidence that I was traded from Ottawa to Vancouver in February and then they drafted Elias,” Jonathan Dahlén tells hockeysverige.nu.

SUNDSVALL/SÖDRA BERGET (HOCKEYSVERIGE.SE)

Elias Pettersson and Jonathan Dahlén. These are the two Swedes most talked about in Vancouver now that Daniel and Henrik Sedin have chosen to shelve their skates. Many hope that the duo will be able to fill the twins’ shoes when it comes to offensive cooperation. Of course it is unfair to put that kind of pressure on a 19-year old and a 20-year old, but at the same time the thought of what they will be able to achieve in the NHL is titillating.

Hockeysverige.se arranged to meet the two Vancouver players at Södra Berget (a mountain, and also a conference centre by the same name situated on top of that mountain) in Sundsvall for an interview about the chemistry between them and their thoughts around moving to Canada to make the roster of the “Swedish” team the Vancouver Canucks.
“Why hockey? I played both hockey and soccer when I was little and I was better at hockey,” Elias Pettersson laughs as we sit down at a table with a view of Sundsvall.
“Sure, hockey isn’t fun every day, buy almost every day. At the same time it’s always great comradery with the team, and it’s always fun to win.”

Dahlén: “I also did soccer and I was also interested in several other sports, but I thought hockey was more fun. Then I had this soccer coach when I was 13. I was living in Gothenburg at the time and playing for Örgryte. The coach said “if you want to stay on the team you have to quit hockey.” Then I felt that hockey was more fun, so I went with that instead.”

BROUGHT TOGETHER ON TIMRÅ’S J20-TEAM

Already as juniors in Timrå (Dahlén came from HV71 and Pettersson from Ånge) the duo had a chance to play together and there was on ice chemistry from the start.
Dahlén: “I mean, Elias did fairly well in Växjö as well... (laughs) We only played together after Xmas (2014/15) on the J20 team. He was brought in and had some sick figures (4 goals, 13 points, in six games). We played together and that went well.”
Pettersson: “We both make fast decisions out there, we want to create good offense and we think alike on the ice. Most of the time, at least,” the 19 year old laughs and Dahlén adds: “I like to go on a rush into open spaces. It’s a bit more fun if I know I will get the puck there.”
Pettersson: “You could say we are two different styles of play that think alike.”

You have both proven, you Elias in Växjö and Jonathan in Timrå, that you can perform without the other player, do you sometimes get fed up with being described as a duo?
“They compare us like we should become The New Sedins. No pressure, but…” Elias Pettersson laughs and continues: “I don’t know if we have the kind of chemistry like them yet, but if we ever become that good, I’ll take that any day of the week.”
Dahlén: “I think that it was good for both of us to get away from that for a while. Elias did really well in Växjö and when I returned to Timrå I did well without him in Hockeyallsvenskan. It was probably nice for both of us to get that confirmed. Not just for the outside world but also for ourselves, to know that we are two good hockey players in our own right. Of course we play well together and our different styles of play are a good fit. If we get to play together for as long as the Sedins did, I think we can have some great fun.”

”CLOSE TO A PERFECT SEASON”

The duo had near perfect seasons, but on separate stages. Elias Pettersson got to win both the Swedish and the World Championship, while Jonathan helped get Timrå promoted to the SHL.

Pettersson: “I view my season as, not unreal, but I could not have imagined as I joined Växjö during summer practice that I would do so well and that we would win the championship and I would go on to win the world championship as well. And then Timrå got promoted! I couldn’t have wished for more. It was a near perfect season. I would have loved to win the Champions’ Hockey League and the World Juniors as well, but it was a truly great season.”
Dahlén: “The dream for quite some time has been to bring Timrå back to the SHL. It was sick, unreal, to get promoted, and I didn’t really see it coming, even though we won the regular season. We beat Leksand, I shouldn’t say easily; we had a hard time in the first game, but then we controlled the series. Against Karlskrona we felt we were the better team all along, so we weren’t really worried, even when they won the first two games and were ahead 2-0 and 3-1 in the series. We felt we were playing so much better than Karlskrona so that sooner or later the tables would turn. And they did.”

How much did you follow each other during the season?
Pettersson: “We keep track and follow each other. Of course it became easier when Dahlén came back here, as I always follow Timrå anyway.”
Dahlén: “I was not that interested in the SHL in general, but watching Elias play for Växjö was fun. They won almost every game and scored lots of goals. That made it damned fun to watch Växjö’s games especially as Elias scored a lot of goals.”

What do you think of Elias’s exploits this season after having moved up to a higher league?
“You can’t really say anything that hasn’t already been said about it. It was sick, unreal, and not many who could have done the same ar that age.”
Are you surprised?
“I knew he would do well in the SHL, but it’s not like I would have guessed he would score 56 points, win the Swedish championship and dominate in the playoffs.that he would get a world championship gold medal to boot, I can honestly say I was not expecting that (laughs).”
“I didn’t believe that either,” Elias Pettersson says with a faint smile.

HAVEN’T EVEN GIVEN THE AHL A THOUGHT

Now they are putting their time in Sweden behind them for the time being and are looking forward to - hopefully - many seasons in the NHL and then mainly for Vancouver.
Pettersson: “We both want to play in the NHL as soon as possible and we are of course talking about getting to play together in Vancouver. We are not practicing together during the summer, but we are pushing eachother and are very determined. That is sufficient motivation, that we want to get there as soon as possible.”

Dahlén: “Naturally it has been great for me to have been over there, playing with Utica and getting to know how it feels. To know that I could handle playing there. I mean, I have only really played in Hockeyallsvenskan. Then it feels good to already know I can deliver on the AHL level. I feel like it’s not impossible to go directly from Hockeyallsvenskan to Vancouver. I’ll step out on the ice and give all I have.”

If it’s initially the AHL?
“I haven’t given that a thought, I’ve just been aiming for the NHL,” Elias Pettersson says, who of course is fully aware that he might get to start the season in the AHL.
“Sure, it could be that I don’t play in the NHL from the get go. If I don’t, it doesn’t mean my life is over. There are players that weren’t even drafted that are in the Hall of Fame. It’s a long career.”
Dahlén: “I can’t count on playing for Vancouver. We’ll see what happens, but I will give all I’ve got at camp to play in the NHL. If I get sent down I will keep that same attitude and just keep going in order to get moved up as soon as possible.

Pettersson: “Of course I don’t either count on playing in the NHL directly, but just like Jonathan I will do everything I can to get to play in the NHL as soon as possible. But then it is not my decision to make.”

HOPING TO GET A CHANCE TO PLAY TOGETHER IN THE NHL

Are you hoping you get to play together in Vancouver?
“Absolutely!” they answer in unison.
Pettersson: “that would be damned fun!”
Dahlén: “To go from playing on Timrå’s J18 team to Vancouver together would be a sweet ride!”
Pettersson: “To first play together in Timrå, Jonathan gets traded and I get drafted by Vancouver so we end up in the same NHL organisation while we both entertain the dream of playing in the NHL.”
Dahlén: “I don’t think it is a coincidence that I was traded from Ottawa to Vancouver in February and then they drafted Elias. I don’t know, but such a huge coincidence, that can’t be.

Did you talk to Daniel and Henrik Sedin and did they give you any advice to heed as you go to Canada?
Pettersson: “You’ve talked to them more than I have, as you were overthere practicing last summer. I’ve only said hello to them, but I have a hard time imagining that I won’t talk to them moving forward, as they are going to stay around over there.”

Dahlén: “I even met them before the draft. They were actually asking about Elias, about “that centre from Timrå”. That was before he was even drafted. They are the most humble people in the world and they have had sick careers, so you really sit there with rabbit ears and try to absorb everything they say.”

Pettersson: “I also don’t see anything negative in there being other Swedes around there. It is nice to be able to speak Swedish at times too. But we will have to see if they end up within the organisation and how involved they will be. Vancouver probably wants them to be there to help the younger players, but they may want a short break from hockey. Then again, you never know,” Elias Pettersson concludes, before the two of them head out in the 32° heat to go to one of the many fine beaches at Alnö.
Last edited by Per on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.