2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Puck wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:15 pm Is this thing really of any use? Or is it just the NHL trying to mimic the NFL?
Who was it that couldn't do a single pullup? Was that Willie Nylander?

With the way NFL prospects train for the combine at the expense of any other form of training, I'm not sure there is much use for the combine.
Bennett was the pull-up king
0 for.
Blobbee is a huge fan of Sam “flex arm hang” Bennett
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:43 am Blobbee is a huge fan of Sam “flex arm hang” Bennett
LOL, I haven't heard that term since Grade 8 PE.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Raph Lavoie would be awesome, what's great to see is his points are good 5v5 as well, so he isn't just piling up the points on the powerplay.

Also good to see is he only gets better in the playoffs & doesn't disappear.

In addition he's not like Brock Nelson - a big body who isn't physical, this article illustrating dude plays like a true power forward, playing physical and can play in trenches on top of having a wicked shot.

Lavoie will probably play in the NHL at the same size as Mark Stone 6'4" 219lbs, Lavoie like Stone just has to work hard on his skating, but they have all the other NHL attributes to succeed.

Halifax Mooseheads forward Raphael Lavoie is showing he can do a little bit of everything ahead of the NHL draft.

Score, hit, even chirp.

“Game gets hard and sometimes, it happens that we say love words to each other, I think it’s part of the game,” said Lavoie.

The 18-year-old from Chambly, Que., is the top-ranked draft-eligible player at the Memorial Cup and is heading to Sunday’s final after producing a goal, assist and 12 shots on net in three round-robin games.

Lavoie’s blend of soft hands and strength were on full display in the Mooseheads’ 4-2 round-robin win over the Guelph Storm.

as the game got more physical, he didn’t shy away and won a 1-on-1 battle with Guelph blue liner Sean Durzi by overpowering him and sending him crashing into the net. Lavoie even had a few choice words for Durzi after the whistle.

“You need to be mobile, strong on your feet because guys are gonna push you,” said Lavoie. “I have a pretty big body, try and use it as much as I can. Hockey is physical, you need to hit.”

Mooseheads coach Eric Veilleux added: “He’s a good two-way player, works hard and can defend. He does it all on the ice, loves taking the puck to the net … For me, he’s a complete player.”

The six-foot-four, 198-pound Lavoie is powerful and deceptively mobile, and a threat to score with his wrist shot any time he cuts across the opposition’s blue line.

He considers himself a natural power forward that prefers to play the wing, but can shift to centre when needed.

Lavoie scored 17 times in his first 16 playoff games before ending the post-season first in goals (20) and second in points (32).

He has an NHL top-notch shot,” said Veilleux.

Linemate Samuel Asselin says at times in the post-season, Lavoie put his teammates on his back.

“He really, really improved his game during the playoff run and since then he’s been so good for us,” said Asselin.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn ... -nhl-draft
IF Boldy isn't there at #10 I'd think long and hard about reaching a tad for Lavoie who is ranked #11 by FC, #12 ISS and #14 by Bob McKenzie.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I always have one red flag with projected top-6 forwards coming out of the Q. When it comes to the modern era, unless we're talking about a Crosby or MacKinnon level talent, guys who score close to 1.5 ppg in the Q tend to struggle to produce at a level that people hope for. Defense just isn't as prioritized in that minor league compared to its counterparts to the west.

So a guy like Lavoie, clocking 73 points in 62 games is good, but he will be 19 this year, so a bit further along the development curve than some of his teammates and opponents. Last year he was below 1 ppg.

The lack of a focus on D in that league also becomes a factor with guys like Lavoie who are big bodies and produce at higher rates because the Q is generally a "softer" league as well, his size won't be as much of a factor when he hits the big time.

Just pointing out the obvious I guess.

I will say that I would be more comfortable with a pick like this kid though based on what was pointed out about the percentage of his points coming at even strength.....that's actually huge in the NHL.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:55 pm
Topper wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:52 pm but this pic of Middlestadt.....

:lol:

Ok hes an exception. He'll be retarded forever
When is the last time Dude did a pull-up with those razor thin Kermit the frog pipes?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Swamp ass McKenzie has to Billy Ray Cyrus all his T-shirts (customized muscle shirts) cause hes got too much arm fat on his hairy arms
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Red Wings at 6 are the mystery team. I’m assuming Turcotte, Cozens and Byram will be the next 3 to go after Hughes and Kakko. Red Wings last few draft picks

2018 - Zadina - RW
2018 - Veleno - C
2018 - Berggren - RW
2018 - McIsaac - D
2017 - Rasmussen - C
2017 - Lindstrom - D
2016 - Cholowski - D
2015 - Svechnikov - RW
2014 - Larkin - C
2013 - Mantha - RW
2013 - Bertuzzi - LW

Probably Centre or Defence is their priority, so it should be a centre they pick if the 5 I say are gone by their 6th. Toss up between Zegras or Dach. Or Cozens, Turcotte if available at 6.

Detroit also needs D, could be a team who will try to move up to draft Byram or drop back (Canucks 10th) to daft - Broberg or Soderstrom

Buffalo and Coilers will be snapping up wingers Podkozlin or Boldy. Maybe one of them - Caulfield. Highly doubt it’s Edmonton after selecting shrimp - Yamamoto. I only see Buffalo as the team who could reach for Caulfield

Anaheim - the table scraps after the first 8
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:53 am The Red Wings at 6 are the mystery team. I’m assuming Turcotte, Cozens and Byram will be the next 3 to go after Hughes and Kakko. Red Wings last few draft picks

2018 - Zadina - RW
2018 - Veleno - C
2018 - Berggren - RW
2018 - McIsaac - D
2017 - Rasmussen - C
2017 - Lindstrom - D
2016 - Cholowski - D
2015 - Svechnikov - RW
2014 - Larkin - C
2013 - Mantha - RW
2013 - Bertuzzi - LW

Probably Centre or Defence is their priority, so it should be a centre they pick if the 5 I say are gone by their 6th. Toss up between Zegras or Dach. Or Cozens, Turcotte if available at 6.

Detroit also needs D, could be a team who will try to move up to draft Byram or drop back (Canucks 10th) to daft - Broberg or Soderstrom

Buffalo and Coilers will be snapping up wingers Podkozlin or Boldy. Maybe one of them - Caulfield. Highly doubt it’s Edmonton after selecting shrimp - Yamamoto. I only see Buffalo as the team who could reach for Caulfield

Anaheim - the table scraps after the first 8
Them passing on Hughes is so funny, and lucky for us.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Detroit is already regretting passing on QH. To be honest, Detroit’s drafting the last while is quite underwhelming. Holland is overrated
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm Detroit is already regretting passing on QH. To be honest, Detroit’s drafting the last while is quite underwhelming. Holland is overrated
Great analysis
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:35 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm Detroit is already regretting passing on QH. To be honest, Detroit’s drafting the last while is quite underwhelming. Holland is overrated
Great analysis
Agreed
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2015 draft

19th overall - Svechnikov - Holland
23rd overall - Boeser - Benning

2018 draft

6th overall - Zadina - Holland
7th overall - Hughes - Benning
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think Holland is a decent hockey guy but his amateur scouting hasnt been good enough. He may be better suited to transition a team like the coil from bumbling around with their young assets into contenders. I wouldnt write holland off just yet
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 am
I think Holland is a decent hockey guy but his amateur scouting hasnt been good enough. He may be better suited to transition a team like the coil from bumbling around with their young assets into contenders. I wouldnt write holland off just yet
His ship sailed when Lidstrom and Datstyuk retired. He’s done, stick a fork. His current rebuild in Detroit is far less than flattering to say the least.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 am
I've been saying for years that Holland is a below-average drafter. He himself acknowledges the blind luck involved in hitting home runs on fluke picks in Zetterberg and Datsyuk - "if I knew they'd be that good, I'd have picked them in the 1st". He was able to win Cups in the 2000s due to stellar drafting in the 80s - which is completely insane - and two fluke picks in 98 and 99.

However, he has been very good at trades. He is very much plugged in to the old boys network, and it seems like every GM takes his calls. That Mantha deal last year was one of the best/most lopsided trades in recent memory.

He was able to be a buyer at the deadline for years, without ever giving up too much in a trade - I remember how much he regretted giving up Shawn Matthias at the deadline, and look how he turned out...actually, he was so upset about losing Matthias because he was literally the best prospect he'd drafted in several years, nuff said.

He could pull off a drastic draft day trade that could turn the team's fortunes, but the Coilers have needed somebody to better drafting at any position other then 1st overall. I'd have little faith in Holland being that person, but he could be the one to surround himself with the right team of scouts. In which case, watch out.