2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:18 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:16 pm A revised mock draft

1. Hughes - NJD
2. Kakko - NYR
3. Turcotte - Hawks
4. Byram - Avalanche
5. Podkozlin - Kings
6. Cozens - Detroit
7. Caulfield - Sabres
8. Boldy - Oilers
9. Dach - Ducks
10. Zegras - Canucks
The runt will still be there when van picks. Praying hes not cuz i suspect...
The Ducks could very well pick Caufield at #9, the best sniper in the draft.
The Ducks could use a future number one center. We all know this. Sam Steel has shown some early promise, but no one can definitively say that he will ever be able to take over the Ryan Getzlaf role down the line.

At the most basic level, what the Ducks need more than anything else, is someone who can put the puck in the net. A lot. Anaheim ranked 24th in goals for over the last three seasons. That’s not going to cut it if Bob Murray wants to bring a championship back to Orange County.

Cole Caufield is small. Looking at him on the ice, he looks like a kid sitting at the adult table at Christmas dinner. But he has a secret weapon: the ability to score goals almost at will. His stock has been rising lately, but if he is available at 9th overall, the Ducks should absolutely take what is almost certainly the best pure-goal scorer in this year’s draft.

https://www.anaheimcalling.com/2019/5/2 ... y-prospect
NJD - Kakko
NYR - Hughes
Hawks - Byram
Avs - Turcotte
Kings - Dach
Redwings - Podkolzin
Sabres - Cozens
Oilers - Zegras
Ducks - Caufield
Canucks - Boldy
Philly - Krebs
Wild - Soderstrom
Highlights of Caulfield----

Now what is very noticable.
1-his skating isn't really that good.
1A and most important; Nobody touches him. Never have all that time in the NHL
Stay away
"evolution"
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Yeah, hopefully Anaheim would take Caufield because that would mean (hopefully) Benning would have a shot at taking the likes of Boldy. If you look at the lack of shrimp forwards a-la Point, Gaudreau and Marchessault in the SCF one suspects that size and durability still count in the playoffs.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BingoTough
CC Veteran

Post by BingoTough »

Topper wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:19 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:46 am This has been a hoot but I gotta go to Costco
how long will this job last, or do you go their for dinner?...free samples and a dog
Then off to the airport duty free for a nightcap!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:19 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:46 am This has been a hoot but I gotta go to Costco
how long will this job last, or do you go their for dinner?...free samples and a dog
Been over a year now. Thanks for asking I guess.

Do they give you a dust mask when you dig in the mine or does your beard just absorb all that shit, then you wash it out later?

Just curious
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:02 pm I always have one red flag with projected top-6 forwards coming out of the Q. When it comes to the modern era, unless we're talking about a Crosby or MacKinnon level talent, guys who score close to 1.5 ppg in the Q tend to struggle to produce at a level that people hope for. Defense just isn't as prioritized in that minor league compared to its counterparts to the west.

So a guy like Lavoie, clocking 73 points in 62 games is good, but he will be 19 this year, so a bit further along the development curve than some of his teammates and opponents. Last year he was below 1 ppg.

The lack of a focus on D in that league also becomes a factor with guys like Lavoie who are big bodies and produce at higher rates because the Q is generally a "softer" league as well, his size won't be as much of a factor when he hits the big time.

Just pointing out the obvious I guess.

I will say that I would be more comfortable with a pick like this kid though based on what was pointed out about the percentage of his points coming at even strength.....that's actually huge in the NHL.
Good points, he would be a good pick in the 15-20 range, but not a top 10 caliber type.

prayin' for Boldy! nhl size, vision, skills, has the best tool kit to be a #1 LW.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

. . . . . . . . .Canuck's scouting staff warming up.

It's cool. Listen to it. Watch it. I wouldn't lie to ya.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

From Carol Schram:

"The only player Jim Benning name-checked when he spoke with Ben Kuzma of The Province about the Canucks' combine interview process was goaltender Spencer Knight of the U.S. National Team Development Program. Should we read anything into that?"

Button has him ranked 22 overall, top rated N American goalie.

Maybe Jim thinks he is going to get an extra pick around that range?

Benning also said:

"While speaking with Kuzma, Jim Benning did offer a glimpse into what might happen in a draft interview that would make the Canucks less likely to draft a player:

“Yeah. If we don’t get a good feel — whether it’s the personality or drive and willingness to face adversity and develop as a player in the AHL — there may not be the mental toughness and it’s too easy for them to give up.”

Interesting he adds in the part about willingness to play in the AHL as part of their development, trying to get a feel if they will give him headaches I guess.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:07 pm From Carol Schram:

"The only player Jim Benning name-checked when he spoke with Ben Kuzma of The Province about the Canucks' combine interview process was goaltender Spencer Knight of the U.S. National Team Development Program. Should we read anything into that?"

Button has him ranked 22 overall, top rated N American goalie.

Maybe Jim thinks he is going to get an extra pick around that range?

Benning also said:

"While speaking with Kuzma, Jim Benning did offer a glimpse into what might happen in a draft interview that would make the Canucks less likely to draft a player:

“Yeah. If we don’t get a good feel — whether it’s the personality or drive and willingness to face adversity and develop as a player in the AHL — there may not be the mental toughness and it’s too easy for them to give up.”

Interesting he adds in the part about willingness to play in the AHL as part of their development, trying to get a feel if they will give him headaches I guess.
I hope JB would not take a goalie in the 1st round regardless of how many picks he has. Would like to see a calculation on how many goalies were picked 1st round vs. how many games they played in the NHL.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

It appears the Blackhawks fans are diehard set on Turcotte.

https://www.the-rink.com/chicago-blackh ... -turcotte/

So Byram could go to the Avs or Kings with Cozens taken before/after Byram.

--

Interesting post from Canucks about Zegras and Seider.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-scouting-c ... =289593026
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Such a dirty rotten shame the lottery didn't kick us up with the draft being here.
And the Canucks select; Bowen Byram !
What a coup it would be to still do that without saying bye-bye to Bo, Brock, Pete or Quinn.
Oh well...............ffs
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:32 pm I hope JB would not take a goalie in the 1st round regardless of how many picks he has. Would like to see a calculation on how many goalies were picked 1st round vs. how many games they played in the NHL.
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/e ... aders.html
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Benning won’t be picking a goalie in the first round

He will take a forward at 10 and likely D men in rounds 2 and 3. Or maybe not. Unless they are sold on Broberg, all signs point to Boldy/Newhook/Zegras or a faller.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Unless they deal Demko at the draft, not seeing us drafting Knight.

Zegras gets compared to Pettersson quite often, interesting. I’m on board with taking him if he’s still there at 10.

I don’t think Boldy is getting past Buffalo or Edmonton
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Any of the projected top 12 players look to be solid prospects. We're going to get a good asset...unless we take the runt. Hes primed to suck once he gets leaned on
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm Any of the projected top 12 players look to be solid prospects. We're going to get a good asset...unless we take the runt. Hes primed to suck once he gets leaned on
Cole when there are actually dudes trying to stop him:
"evolution"