The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m definitely not putting Vegas money on Toronto this playoff season. Too many playoff hardened, battle tested teams to get through in the east - Boston, Tampa, Washington.

Muzzin was a useless addition to the team. Andersson has a history of choking in big games, Nylander disappears in the playoffs, mind you he hasn’t re-appeared since disappearing in last year’s playoffs. Gardiner is a choker. Matthews doesn’t seem to have another gear post season and Tavares is the eastern conference version of Regular Season Joe Thornton. Tavares has a putrid playoff history, not what I call a winner like a Patrice Bergeron etc
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:38 am I’m definitely not putting Vegas money on Toronto this playoff season. Too many playoff hardened, battle tested teams to get through in the east - Boston, Tampa, Washington.

Muzzin was a useless addition to the team. Andersson has a history of choking in big games, Nylander disappears in the playoffs, mind you he hasn’t re-appeared since disappearing in last year’s playoffs. Gardiner is a choker. Matthews doesn’t seem to have another gear post season and Tavares is the eastern conference version of Regular Season Joe Thornton. Tavares has a putrid playoff history, not what I call a winner like a Patrice Bergeron etc
With this many crappy players, I am shocked they are where they are.

Muzzin has been a useless addition. 100% Agreed. But that is on the coach not the player. There is zero justification in having Hainsey 2nd in TOi since that trade.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:44 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:38 am I’m definitely not putting Vegas money on Toronto this playoff season. Too many playoff hardened, battle tested teams to get through in the east - Boston, Tampa, Washington.

Muzzin has been a useless addition. 100% Agreed. But that is on the coach not the player. There is zero justification in having Hainsey 2nd in TOi since that trade.
We could have told Dubas that about Muzzin. We saw him all the time, like we saw your choke goalie all the time when in Anaheim. A very meh player overrated by playing with Doughty. A rookie GM mistake. The player that would have been best for Toronto’s and they keep avoiding to do it but Babcock would love it is - Chris Tanev. Reilly and Tanev have great chemistry. Dumbass Dubas fucked up BIG time, or they should have targeted Montour. Muzzin of all D-men? Ouch
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:54 am

We could have told Dubas that about Muzzin. We saw him all the time, like we saw your choke goalie all the time when in Anaheim. A very meh player overrated by playing with Doughty. A rookie GM mistake. The player that would have been best for Toronto’s and they keep avoiding to do it but Babcock would love it is - Chris Tanev. Reilly and Tanev have great chemistry. Dumbass Dubas fucked up BIG time, or they should have targeted Montour. Muzzin of all D-men? Ouch
So Dubas should have acquired Pesce instead and lost Kaperi Kapanen? Because that's a big reason Muzzin was acquired. Muzzion is fine, he's just being used wrong. Unless of course you agree with Babcock that he's worse than Ron Hainsey, which I will laugh at.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I park Kapanen in that whatever disposable forward category. The leaves have enough forwards, too many that are similar. Their D is their Achilles heal will again be their downfall this playoffs. You truly are not valuing wingers like Kapanen over a string defence are you, Tuna? Good luck, against Chara and McAvoy or Hedman and McDonough or Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:29 am I park Kapanen in that whatever disposable forward category. The Leaves have enough forwards, too many that are similar. Their D is their Achilles heal will again be their downfall this playoffs. You truly are not valuing wingers like Kapanen over a string defence are you, Tuna? Good luck, against Chara and McAvoy or Hedman and McDonough or Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen.
You sound like you are a fan of Larsson for Hall trade.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Larsson is a throwback D-man struggling with the new NHL. Poor example, very poor.

The Sabres made the smartest trade deadline deal for a D-man in Montour. I’m a huge fan of Montour. His style of game suits the new NHL. The Sabres have a very strong defence heading into the playoffs, watch out for them, that’s team definitely has the potential to upset teams

I also like Washington’s move of adding depth defenceman - Jensen.

Dubas fucked up at the deadline
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am Larsson is a throwback D-man struggling with the new NHL. Poor example, very poor.

The Sabres made the smartest trade deadline deal for a D-man in Montour. I’m a huge fan of Montour. His style of game suits the new NHL. The Sabres have a very strong defence heading into the playoffs, watch out for them, that’s team definitely has the potential to upset teams

So Dubas adding depth wasn't a good idea but the other ones were? Is there any move the leaves have ever made you think was ok?
If Kapanen was traded you'd suddebly be a much bigger fan of him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:58 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:54 am

So Dubas should have acquired Pesce instead and lost Kaperi Kapanen? Because that's a big reason Muzzin was acquired. Muzzion is fine, he's just being used wrong. Unless of course you agree with Babcock that he's worse than Ron Hainsey, which I will laugh at.
Was Muzzin's value inflated by being Doughty's partner for so long? Not saying he's worse than Hainsey, but he might be a #4 guy at best. Time will tell. As for Babcock, I've never thought him to be an amazing coach, he's good, but his success has always been behind a very well stocked bench. "Weaker" coaches have done more with less.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am Larsson is a throwback D-man struggling with the new NHL. Poor example, very poor.

So Dubas adding depth wasn't a good idea but the other ones were? Is there any move the Leaves have ever made you think was ok?
I’m never going to be a Leaf fan but I can be objective. The Muzzin acquisition was stupid, I am not a fan of him, his type of game is yesterday’s news. You don’t win big games with your Kapanen’s but do with a strong D. With Marner, Kapanen and Nylander you can afford to lose one of them, not Marner obviously but Dubas should have dealt Nylander for a quality D-man. No reason to have both Kapanen and Nylander. The leaves are not balanced. Too much money on forwards. There are too many playoff teams in the East that have a better defence group than the leaves. Toronto won’t get past Tampa and Boston is their kryptonite
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am
BigTuna wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 am

So Dubas adding depth wasn't a good idea but the other ones were? Is there any move the Leaves have ever made you think was ok?
I’m never going to be a Leaf fan but I can be objective. The Muzzin acquisition was stupid, I am not a fan of him, his type of game is yesterday’s news. You don’t win big games with your Kapanen’s but do with a strong D. With Marner, Kapanen and Nylander you can afford to lose one of them, not Marner obviously but Dubas should have dealt Nylander for a quality D-man. No reason to have both Kapanen and Nylander. The Leaves are not balanced. Too much money on forwards. There are too many playoff teams in the East that have a better defence group than the Leaves. Toronto won’t get past Tampa and Boston is their kryptonite
We'l see. They have the 4th best record in the NHl currently.

And you claim to be objective yet you can never see any positive in any Leaf move ever. If every move is bad, shouldn't they be a bottom feeder? And they are really 0-1 against Boston and that series they lost in game 7 in the 3rd period. It is grossly unfair to include 2013 as only 2 players remain from that team.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tuna do you find it peculiar how well the Islanders are playing without Tavares?
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pm Tuna do you find it peculiar how well the Islanders are playing without Tavares?
No. Not at all. They have the Jack Adams winner they added, plus they have .930% goaltending. They never had that when Tavares was there. surely you can't be suggesting they are better because Tavares left?

2017-18 Islanders

Jaroslav Halak 54 3024 161 3.19 20 26 6 1583 0.908 0 1
Christopher Gibson 8 427 26 3.65 2 3 2 258 0.908 0 0
Thomas Greiss 27 1492 95 3.82 13 8 2 784 0.892

2018-19 Islanders:
1 Robin Lehner 27 36 34 20 10 5 72 1043 971 .931 2.07 4 2086 21 .618 2 76 23.17 8.3
2 Thomas Greiss 33 32 30 17 10 2 66 913 847 .928 2.25 4 1757 20 .667 5 79 17.31 6.9

That+coaching is why they are far better. They didn't go from 31st in GA to 1st because of no Tavares. LOL
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So charlie, coaching and goaltending, two things Tavares is still doing without.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pm Tuna do you find it peculiar how well the Islanders are playing without Tavares?
No. Not at all. They have the Jack Adams winner they added, plus they have .930% goaltending. They never had that when Tavares was there. surely you can't be suggesting they are better because Tavares left?

2017-18 Islanders

Jaroslav Halak 54 3024 161 3.19 20 26 6 1583 0.908 0 1
Christopher Gibson 8 427 26 3.65 2 3 2 258 0.908 0 0
Thomas Greiss 27 1492 95 3.82 13 8 2 784 0.892

2018-19 Islanders:
1 Robin Lehner 27 36 34 20 10 5 72 1043 971 .931 2.07 4 2086 21 .618 2 76 23.17 8.3
2 Thomas Greiss 33 32 30 17 10 2 66 913 847 .928 2.25 4 1757 20 .667 5 79 17.31 6.9

That+coaching is why they are far better. They didn't go from 31st in GA to 1st because of no Tavares. LOL
So Trotz and Lehner/Greiss is the reason why a non Tavares Islanders led team is miles better than a Tavares Islanders led team?

Lol, whatever helps you sleep at night, Tuna