W-GDT: Canucks host oil - May16 - 7pm - R2G5

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: W-GDT: Canucks host oil - May16 - 7pm - R2G5

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:35 pm So you love Lindholm now, eh Dude?

I’ve made the appropriate adjustments
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:05 pm
BoS wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:04 pm Mikheyev is listed as day-to-day
Make it week to week...
Let’s hope it’s month to month
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

So I was an hour behind when I started watching the game. All good, didn't know the score and neither did the kids. Beginning of the 2nd, Sportsnet puts a helpful alert on the top-right of the screen telling me that the Canucks Oilers game is 2-2 late in the 3rd. Do I want to switch to that channel?

For fucks sake Spoilernet don't you know that I'm already watching the game? And on top of that, don't you know that I am not watching live? Fucking hell!

Anyways, we decided to fast forward to 13 minutes left in the 3rd and want from there. Amazed to see the shots were 34-17 in our favor. I don't think we got many shots from that point on. Looks like we fast-forwarded through the best part of the game, but glad we won in regulation. My heart couldn't have taken the OT.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

* Canucks forecheck looked a lot better. Watching them pressure more served as a reminder that the Oilers blue line is not very confident or quick. They burped up lots of pucks.

* The PK was noticeably better, better gap control, more aggressive. More aggressive doesn't mean better, but against the Oilers #1 unit it seems to because they are still going to be able to make the plays that passivity is designed to take away.

* The PP was also noticeably better, though it didn't score. Better entries, more player movement, and more urgency towards the net. When the Canucks PP suffers, its when they don't use going low as an option for entry or to set up up high; it is when they are stationary; and it is when they make hero passes that are simply moving the puck about (instead of a hero pass for an immediate scoring chance).

* When the PP doesn't score but looks good, "momentum" seems to continue. All goalless PPs are not the same.

* "Cole, up the wall, not out." Repeat.

* Little things matter. Failure to clear, then clear with control, led to an extended shift led to a bad line change led to the first Oilers goal.

* So if the Canucks played their best game of the series and it was a nailbiter, who gets credit for the Oilers? Not their D, that's for sure. But great game by Pickard and their depth lines really were pretty good.

* The best defense again McDavid and Draisaitl is to play in their end when they are on the ice.

* Knoblach's played McDavid and Draisaitl (and Bouchard) way too much in the series. It shows more in the defensive end than the offensive end. They get the adrenaline bump with a chance to make something happen; they don't tax their reserves in the defensive zone. We see this again and again, every year. Forwards playing those kinds of minutes do so at a trade off.

* EP40 was moving his feet much better, that's the main difference, and that's why he had a good game. (Well, that and having better linemates). But he was still a bobble machine. Wrist/hand; still my hypothesis.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:34 am So I was an hour behind when I started watching the game. All good, didn't know the score and neither did the kids. Beginning of the 2nd, Sportsnet puts a helpful alert on the top-right of the screen telling me that the Canucks Oilers game is 2-2 late in the 3rd. Do I want to switch to that channel?

For fucks sake Spoilernet don't you know that I'm already watching the game? And on top of that, don't you know that I am not watching live? Fucking hell!
Oh, that's rough. In the US, in the regular season, I get games through ESPN+, which carries all out of market, non nationally televised games. They make you sit through ads -- fair enough, I suppose; the package is less than the cost of NHL Center Ice 10 years ago and you get a lot more with ESPN+ (other sports). But what bugs me is that the majority of the ads are for ESPN+. While watching ESPN+. While only having access to the ad because you've made the ESPN+ purchasing decision....

I am glad that when I was a kid and watched the USA beat the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics on what I didn't know was a delayed feed, my dad didn't tell me that he'd already heard on the radio the US won the game....
Hono_rary Canadian
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

UWSaint wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:12 am I get games through ESPN+, which carries all out of market, non nationally televised games.
The ESPN+ Ads are horrible - and repeated non-stop. Still a good deal - but - I find their streaming to be much worse than any other service. I get a ton of buffering and low-res with them - vs none with Sling (needed for playoffs).
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cornuck wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:18 am
UWSaint wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:12 am I get games through ESPN+, which carries all out of market, non nationally televised games.
The ESPN+ Ads are horrible - and repeated non-stop. Still a good deal - but - I find their streaming to be much worse than any other service. I get a ton of buffering and low-res with them - vs none with Sling (needed for playoffs).
I went to Hulu Live for the playoffs and its also far better. Which is crazy since I am also getting ESPN+ through hulu (or at least that's how I watch it).
Hono_rary Canadian
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

UWSaint wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:28 am
Cornuck wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:18 am
I went to Hulu Live for the playoffs and its also far better. Which is crazy since I am also getting ESPN+ through hulu (or at least that's how I watch it).
My friend tells me that if CBC Gem does not show game 6 that they might need to find 'alternative ways' of watching the game.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

UWSaint wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:28 am I went to Hulu Live for the playoffs and its also far better. Which is crazy since I am also getting ESPN+ through hulu (or at least that's how I watch it).
I didn't think of Hulu live - I've got the Disney/ESPN/Hulu package - but when the first playoff game up, I "assumed" that ESPN+ would have "ESPN" in it - but nope! So found that Sling had it, and so far, all the Playoff games.

Sounds like you thought ESPN+ streaming was also 'lacking'?
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cornuck wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:35 am
UWSaint wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:28 am I went to Hulu Live for the playoffs and its also far better. Which is crazy since I am also getting ESPN+ through hulu (or at least that's how I watch it).
I didn't think of Hulu live - I've got the Disney/ESPN/Hulu package - but when the first playoff game up, I "assumed" that ESPN+ would have "ESPN" in it - but nope! So found that Sling had it, and so far, all the Playoff games.

Sounds like you thought ESPN+ streaming was also 'lacking'?
Yes, I thought it was lacking, too. Though streaming through NHL's app was pretty terrible, too. Never know how much it has to do with service provider and wifi use, but I found it inferior to other kinds of streaming. Having said that, I felt it improved slightly from year 1 (perhaps app updates?/i generally watch through hulu app and not through browser). Still not close to ideal, still not nearly as good as Center Ice through dish in the 2000s, but I've not been too upset because it isn't a premium price and its not a downgrade from the NHL app options I had been using for the few years before the ESPN+ switch.

Did you know in the US cable carriers pay the same or more to ESPN to carry ESPN than we do to get ESPN+? Its crazy; lots of cable recipients don't even watch the channel. But live sports basically keeps cable in business because streaming, as good as it has become, is still inferior.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

UWSaint wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:44 am live sports basically keeps cable in business because streaming, as good as it has become, is still inferior.
This is fact. I hate the rubbish streaming bullshit but the cost of a monthly satellite service plus the center ice package is like a grand plus more up here....so ya no thanks
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:29 pm ... center ice package is like a grand plus more up here....so ya no thanks
Holy shit! I've had ESPN+ as part of the package for 2 years now. Before that, I had the NHL package for "1 team" - and that was about $120.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Zadorov mocking Kane for whining to to refs was priceless!

"WAH WAH WAH" :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:02 pm Zadorov mocking Kane for whining to to refs was priceless!

"WAH WAH WAH" :lol:
Twas’ solid. Big Z is awesome.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

May as well add a link for anyone who missed this classic - https://www.facebook.com/reel/804518744614065