Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by theman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:30 am Bogo is a Luke Schenn type. He’s big and physical and he’ll be cheap.
If he's cheap and can hit and fight, then I am for signing him as a #6.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:28 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:26 am Bean and Fleury are both strong skaters
Ok I confess I dont know either player whatsoever :P

Bowgosian tho....fuck that
Beggars can't be choosers though and that's where they're almost at with the defense. Or they could suck it up and ride it out and let some contracts expire but that may mean no playoffs next season and I'd bet that costs Benning his job.

Watching limited amounts of Mike Futa on Sportsnet and he seems like a rational, intelligent dude. Canucks should kick the tires on him in some capacity.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 pm Matt Benning only $1M AAV x2, that's what Stecher should get.

Brodie got $5Mx4, Shattenkirk $3.9Mx3, Schultz $4Mx2 - Thus Barrie should be happy with $5M x 5yrs or 4yrs in this flat cap era.
Krug just got $6.5Mx7.

Barrie and Krug have very comparable stat lines despite Barrie's down year.

Krug is smarter defensively, but he was possibly insulated by strong defensive partners and a killer team defense. He's now on another similar team and should do well. However their career stats are so close it will be interesting to see what happens.

Shattenkirk has been a yo-yo since leaving St. Louis. Brodie and Schultz are not in the same category of talent as Krug and Barrie.

I can't see Barrie taking $5M or less to go anywhere for more than a couple of years after Krug's deal.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I have trouble seeing him sign for less than 5 years though. Hes 29 and this is when he is supposed to set himself and his kids up for life.

I can easily see him joining the canucks but I doubt he'll sacrifice his future to do so
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:30 am Bogo is a Luke Schenn type. He’s big and physical and he’ll be cheap.
Wouldn't want much term though, right? That wouldn't be good.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It’s quite simple for me, Benning is approaching every contract now with Petey’s and Hughes next windfall contracts in mind, he has too. People need to get past 30 year old players like Markstrom and Tanev walking for very nice retirement contracts. Everything needs to be about Hughes and Petey and building around those 2. I’m just glad that Benning has clued in to this and is trying to avoid putting himself in a tough spot once those 2 elite level stars are getting 1/4 of the teams payroll

Nobody expected Petey and Hughes to be this good and this good fast in which for me is why I excuse Benning on some of his existing shitty contracts

Patience is required here, a majorIt’s portion of those shitty contracts will be gone over the next 2 seasons

Now it’s about not signing anymore stupid contracts. Holtby’s contract is a perfect example of a good signing, let’s continue on with that and be patient with what’s being built here

For all the love for Tanev let’s not forget his history with injuries, he’s not getting any younger.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:05 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:45 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:43 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 pm Remember folks. Columbus just gave away Ryan Murray and Markus Nutivaara for a fifth round draft pick and Cliff Pu, respectively and that's a rough equivalent pair to Stecher/Tanev. Owners are instructing gms to unload contracts, finding a couple of defencemen in this climate should be easy.
Time to offer sheet Cernak.
What the hay, why not try it eh. Tampa is in a heck of a bind right now. They might not be able to match. :twisted:
Or Pulock. Islanders have to get Barzal, Towes, and Pulock signed with $9 million to work with but they're still in better shape than the Canucks.

Pulock. Hell of a player w/o buzz for whatever reason. Prefer him to Barrie (especially with Hughes has the #1 PP).
Hono_rary Canadian
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:03 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:05 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:45 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:43 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 pm Remember folks. Columbus just gave away Ryan Murray and Markus Nutivaara for a fifth round draft pick and Cliff Pu, respectively and that's a rough equivalent pair to Stecher/Tanev. Owners are instructing gms to unload contracts, finding a couple of defencemen in this climate should be easy.
Time to offer sheet Cernak.
What the hay, why not try it eh. Tampa is in a heck of a bind right now. They might not be able to match. :twisted:
Or Pulock. Islanders have to get Barzal, Towes, and Pulock signed with $9 million to work with but they're still in better shape than the Canucks.

Pulock. Hell of a player w/o buzz for whatever reason. Prefer him to Barrie (especially with Hughes has the #1 PP).
Definitely. What would he cost though?

NVM. Just saw he's RFA.

Offer sheet him Jimmy!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

From Kenward on Twitter:

Interesting opening 24 hrs of #NHL Free Agency.

Only 4 players across the entire market get new deals with AAV’s north of $5 million

And the follow teams have made no- more than one signing so far:

CAR 0
LAK 0
NYI 0
PHI 0
SJS 0
CBJ 1
DAL 1
NJD 1
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
It’s looking like the Oilers and Tyson Barrie are closing in on a 1 year agreement. Being finalized. Likely just shy of $4 mil.
9:50 AM · Oct 10, 2020·
Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli
Tyson Barrie turned down more money elsewhere to join the #Oilers, including a $6 million offer.
9:53 AM · Oct 10, 2020·
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:36 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 pm Matt Benning only $1M AAV x2, that's what Stecher should get.

Brodie got $5Mx4, Shattenkirk $3.9Mx3, Schultz $4Mx2 - Thus Barrie should be happy with $5M x 5yrs or 4yrs in this flat cap era.
Krug just got $6.5Mx7.

Barrie and Krug have very comparable stat lines despite Barrie's down year.

Krug is smarter defensively, but he was possibly insulated by strong defensive partners and a killer team defense. He's now on another similar team and should do well. However their career stats are so close it will be interesting to see what happens.

Shattenkirk has been a yo-yo since leaving St. Louis. Brodie and Schultz are not in the same category of talent as Krug and Barrie.

I can't see Barrie taking $5M or less to go anywhere for more than a couple of years after Krug's deal.
Guess we both wrong, Barrie 1yr, $4m? Crazy.

Stecher to Detroit 2yrs
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I guess Barrie wasn't a priority for the Canucks if 1yr./$4mill didn't get done
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am I guess Barrie wasn't a priority for the Canucks if 1yr./$4mill didn't get done
Wouldn’t Barrie at that amount be better than what they currently have? Did JB have that little faith in Barrie improving the team even at that amount?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am I guess Barrie wasn't a priority for the Canucks if 1yr./$4mill didn't get done
Is planning to pad his stats with McDavid on the PP for a year and then hunt for a new contract? He couldn't do that here behind Hughes.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun
two years, $1.7M AAV
Detroit Red Wings
UPDATE: The #RedWings today agreed to terms with defenseman Troy Stecher on a two-year contract.
Well, Topper will be happy.
"evolution"