Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:44 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:40 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:24 am
I’m more surprised about Stecher. I thought he’d be the back-up plan to Tanev, but we’ll have to wait and see if Rafferty/Chatfield is a downgrade to Stecher.
We won’t have to wait and see. Either player is a massive downgrade from Stecher. And he isn’t even that good.
Chef Blobbee, c’mon! “A massive downgrade”??? What is it with you man? Stecher ain’t that good
I know he isn’t that good. I said that. The other two guys are terrible. Cafferty is one year younger than Stecher and he has one eye, yellow teeth and is already losing his hair. Chatfield had 3 points in the AHL. These players are putrid.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle has officially become the CC resident pessimist

How about we wait til the GM is done....mmmmmmmkay?
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 am Doyle has officially become the CC resident pessimist

I just pointed out that the two players Berry Picker mentioned are garbage. That is all.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 am Doyle has officially become the CC resident pessimist

I just pointed out that the two players Berry Picker mentioned are garbage. That is all.
Are we gonna need to light the Dogfart batman call? How close is the nearest 7-11 to you right now?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We’ve just witnessed a tectonic shift in Benning and his teams (Aquas included) approach to money management. I believe all along that they were going let Markstrom and Tanev walk. They are 30 year old players who just got doled out retirement contracts the Canuck Brass want no part of anymore. Hughes and Petey and their surprisingly quick rise into generational level talent has changed the thinking. I will park Demko into that category as well which was why it was easy to let the 31 year old Marky walk.

But IMO the big stumbling block with Markstrom was the NMC, and with the Seattle expansion draft it was a no go for camp Canuck and a go for Markstroms camp

Tanev is 30 and very fragile, he’s an injury waiting to happen. I’m OK with this.

Again it’s all about the new core now and keeping the teams cap situation manageable when Petey and Hughes get paid.

As someone said, Toffoli was a rental, live with it, accept it.

Patience is required, the young core is in place, they just got the very important playoff experience in what it takes to win, YUGE. Let’s just shed these bad contracts with old men over the next 2 years and keep adding to this next wave through drafting and developing. Save cap space for when we really need it to fill holes
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:50 am
I’m more surprised about Stecher. I thought he’d be the back-up plan to Tanev, but we’ll have to wait and see if Rafferty/Chatfield is a downgrade to Stecher.
We won’t have to wait and see. Either player is a massive downgrade from Stecher. And he isn’t even that good.
Chef Blobbee, c’mon! “A massive downgrade”??? What is it with you man? Stecher ain’t that good
I know he isn’t that good. I said that. The other two guys are terrible. Cafferty is one year younger than Stecher and he has one eye, yellow teeth and is already losing his hair. Chatfield had 3 points in the AHL. These players are putrid.
Im not seeing a major downgrade here Blobbees
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

More patients? My gosh.. :o

Tanev ice time--https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... vch01.html

Stecher ice time--https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... htr01.html

You don't just snap your fingers and say, "It's ok, we can compensate for this from within our organization".
Nope! Has to be a deal for a legit D-man without losing a high pick or one of the five top forwards.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 am We’ve just witnessed a tectonic shift in Benning and his teams (Aquas included) approach to money management. I believe all along that they were going let Markstrom and Tanev walk. They are 30 year old players who just got doled out retirement contracts the Canuck Brass want no part of anymore. Hughes and Petey and their surprisingly quick rise into generational level talent has changed the thinking. I will park Demko into that category as well which was why it was easy to let the 31 year old Marky walk.

But IMO the big stumbling block with Markstrom was the NMC, and with the Seattle expansion draft it was a no go for camp Canuck and a go for Markstroms camp

Tanev is 30 and very fragile, he’s an injury waiting to happen. I’m OK with this.

Again it’s all about the new core now and keeping the teams cap situation manageable when Petey and Hughes get paid.

As someone said, Toffoli was a rental, live with it, accept it.

Patience is required, the young core is in place, they just got the very important playoff experience in what it takes to win, YUGE. Let’s just shed these bad contracts with old men over the next 2 years and keep adding to this next wave through drafting and developing. Save cap space for when we really need it to fill holes
Who are you talking to? I’ve been saying to let the garbage contracts expire. I was the one okay with not signing any of the three UFA while you guys beat off to OEL. Yet NOW you are telling others to be patient. I never wanted that guy at the sticker price. He’s the fifth highest paid D man in the league and he isn’t in the top 20.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 am
Try opening your eyes
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 am
Try opening your eyes
Again, Stecher isn’t that special, Blob
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Button said Rafferty is NHL ready. When I saw him two years ago in the NHL, I thought he looked fine. I certainly am willing to see how this pans out. Benning says Chatfield Is ready. I haven’t seen anything that says that to me, so I’m more pessimistic, but if he can hold his own as a defensive defensemen and he splits time with Benn on the bottom pair that will help. Neither has to make the team, but that would be ideal. If they don’t, Hughes probably has to switch to the right side. If they sign Fantenberg as rumoured (or a reasonable left side replacement) that might be sufficient, too. There are all kinds of possibilities.

Myers Hughes
Rafferty Edler
Benn Juolevi/Rathbone
Chatfield Fantenberg

Hughes Edler
Myers Juolevi/Rathbone
Chatfield Fantenberg
Benn Brisebois

Let’s see how the rest of the off-season plays out, see who is added, and see how training camp goes before we join the urine crew.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Another way to think of this is if the Canucks had signed Tanev, they wouldn’t have signed Stecher.
Then Tanev would have gotten injured in the first few games and we wouldn’t have had either.
We’d have the same defence as I outlined above anyways.
At least the way things are now, Benning will be trying to add a defensemen this off-season, and we don’t have to worry about Tanev breaking down.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:23 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:52 pm What's the deal with Madison Bowey? Wasn't he a guy everybody was hot on a few years ago?
Madison Bowey is so dumb

... he makes Michael Del Zotto look like Michelangelo! :mex:
Is he? I never really watched him, I just remember people were clamouring to get in him here.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:02 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:52 pm What's the deal with Madison Bowey? Wasn't he a guy everybody was hot on a few years ago?
Madison Bowey is so dumb

Is he? I never really watched him, I just remember people were clamouring to get in him here.
I'm just going by what Cap fans and Wings fans say about him.

Tools but no toolbox they say...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:08 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:02 pm
Madison Bowey is so dumb

I'm just going by what Cap fans and Wings fans say about him.

Tools but no toolbox they say...
PouliotV2.0 then. Career must be in a shambles if the Red Wings would rather have Biega and Stecher down the right side than him. Have a feeling he'll end up here, maybe on a 2 way.