Rebooted Around the League - 23/24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Rebooted Around the League - 23/24

Post by Chef Boi RD »

As long as MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar are playing on the same team, they are gonna be one of the favourites to go to the cup. Not surprised. Feel bad for the Jets, I like that team.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Looks like Travis Green is going to Ottawa...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The leaves oddly enough will have a ton of cap space freed up this summer with Murray, Bertuzzi, Domi, Muzzin, Klindberg, Samsonov, Edmunson and Brodie coming off the books to fix what they need to fix.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:12 pm The leaves oddly enough will have a ton of cap space freed up this summer with Murray, Bertuzzi, Domi, Muzzin, Klindberg, Samsonov, Edmunson and Brodie coming off the books to fix what they need to fix.
$18.5 million isn't that much to plug that many holes. Robertson and Lilligren need contrats too. They will be in worse shape next year than this if they don't dump some of the core 4. New coach. same stinking pile....rince, repeat.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:12 pm The leaves oddly enough will have a ton of cap space freed up this summer with Murray, Bertuzzi, Domi, Muzzin, Klindberg, Samsonov, Edmunson and Brodie coming off the books to fix what they need to fix.
$18.5 million isn't that much to plug that many holes. Robertson and Lilligren need contrats too. They will be in worse shape next year than this if they don't dump some of the core 4. New coach. same stinking pile....rince, repeat.
Yup.

And Chef, LTIR guys Murray, Muzzin, and Klingberg disappearing doesn't increase cap-room at all.

Edmundson was eating up just $875K of the Leaves cap.... his actual AAV was $3.5M.

Lyubushkin was eating up just $687K of the Leaves cap.... his actual AAV was $2,75M.

Losing those kinds of cap-hit players is an overall negative.

I look at it this way.

Bertuzzi, Brodie, and Samsonov will walk (Edmundson + Lyubushkin + Gio too) and they'll re-sign Domi @ $3.5M-per.

They end up with ~ $10M to somehow bring in a true #1 goalie and a top-pairing RSD.

Don't forget about the $6M in raises to Pigman/Nylander.

If they can acquire the players they need at low-ish cap-hits, the changes then would be...

Top 6 gritty forward out for a dee upgrade and a goaltending upgrade.

Now if they decide to try to pressure Marner into waiving his NMC, other possibilities open up.

But that seems unlikely, which would leave their off-season path (plan) fairly straightforward IMO.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:04 pm
Tciso wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm
Yup.

And Chef, LTIR guys Murray, Muzzin, and Klingberg disappearing doesn't increase cap-room at all.

Edmundson was eating up just $875K of the Leaves cap.... his actual AAV was $3.5M.

Lyubushkin was eating up just $687K of the Leaves cap.... his actual AAV was $2,75M.

Losing those kinds of cap-hit players is an overall negative.

I look at it this way.

Bertuzzi, Brodie, and Samsonov will walk (Edmundson + Lyubushkin + Gio too) and they'll re-sign Domi @ $3.5M-per.

They end up with ~ $10M to somehow bring in a true #1 goalie and a top-pairing RSD.

Don't forget about the $6M in raises to Pigman/Nylander.

If they can acquire the players they need at low-ish cap-hits, the changes then would be...

Top 6 gritty forward out for a dee upgrade and a goaltending upgrade.

Now if they decide to try to pressure Marner into waiving his NMC, other possibilities open up.

But that seems unlikely, which would leave their off-season path (plan) fairly straightforward IMO.
They will be a border line dumpster fire. They spent most of their draft picks too. I really hope they keep the core 4, as that guarantees they stay shitty longer. Little cap. Few picks. Few prospects.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Tciso wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:09 am They will be a border line dumpster fire. They spent most of their draft picks too. I really hope they keep the core 4, as that guarantees they stay shitty longer. Little cap. Few picks. Few prospects.
They currently have 4 picks in the first four rounds for the next 3 years - 4/12 (2/6 in the first 2 rounds) :D

They either keep the "core 4" :oops: or start a rebuild by selling assets for picks. I see them going into the next season with them, then see what happens as tavaras and marner are UFAs - should be quite the shit show next year. :D
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Marner and Tavares only have one more year left. They are better off to drain the swamp and let them leave in 2025. That opens up a shit ton of cap to improve the ass end and add some fucking grit. I’d clean house and fire the works of Shanahan and stick mostly with the same core for a year. Give the new guys a chance to purge. I hope Chief doesn’t go there. Too much respect for him. He doesn’t need that pressure cooker.

I think Nylander is a good player. Matthews is a star but he’s a bit of a shit wimp. But that said they are a good 1-2 punch up front. They need a stud D man. Reilley is a great #2 guy. I hate the Keafs but they do have some nice pieces.

I say bring Keenan in!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

the draft lottery happens this afternoon. Currently, the Flames have the 9th pick and have a 5% chance of winning the draft lottery. The Flames have never drafted in the top 3 in franchise history (except for 2 - 2nd overall picks when they were in Atlanta). The hockey Gods owe us one :roll: :roll:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
BoS
CC Rookie

Post by BoS »

BCExpat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:07 pm the draft lottery happens this afternoon. Currently, the Flames have the 9th pick and have a 5% chance of winning the draft lottery. The Flames have never drafted in the top 3 in franchise history (except for 2 - 2nd overall picks when they were in Atlanta). The hockey Gods owe us one :roll: :roll:
Yeah, you’re barkin up the wrong tree with the Hockey God neglect there ExPat.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Sorry mang, but not only have we been screwed over in draft lotteries by the Hockey Gods since franchise inception, BUTT you guys Otto'd your way to a cup win.

No sympathies from this here GDHTMB.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

BoS wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm
BCExpat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:07 pm the draft lottery happens this afternoon. Currently, the Flames have the 9th pick and have a 5% chance of winning the draft lottery. The Flames have never drafted in the top 3 in franchise history (except for 2 - 2nd overall picks when they were in Atlanta). The hockey Gods owe us one :roll: :roll:
Yeah, the hockey gods are a fickle bunch. Perhaps if you pray to them in a Conan way they might listen?
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Canucks have had a 1st overall pick. I'm not saying the hockey Gods owe the Flames a stanley cup - they crossed that bridge back in '89. They paid for that with 35 years of mediocrity after that. Oh well, if they get Iginla jr. in this draft, I'll be happy.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

BCExpat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:27 pm
The Canucks have had a 1st overall pick. I'm not saying the hockey Gods owe the Flames a stanley cup - they crossed that bridge back in '89. They paid for that with 35 years of mediocrity after that. Oh well, if they get Iginla jr. in this draft, I'll be happy.
Pardon me….?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Dude gets a Cup while he was still young to celebrate properly, and comes here bitching about draft luck! :D BCE should know better.... :oops: