Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:15 pm
Micky wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:52 am I have a totally different opinion. If Nicky wants to be an NHL player, he's blowing it every year he spends over in mother russia.
What kind of positive exposure has he got so far from afar. I'll tell you---diddly squat. I've searched.
He's not 23 anymore! NHL life is passing him by.
Some times what seems logical, isn't. Out of sight, out of mind-----Holy F**k, I'm 30, WTHeck happened...?
He'll come over if you make it worth his while, but his heart is in Ekaterinburg. But give him more money than he's worth, with certain ice time guarantees, and he's willing to talk. I just wish Jimmy had traded his rights a couple of years ago.
The good news is we'll get him in his prime at $2M X 3 and then throw him away like a wet napkin.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:39 am Plus having a second ruskie come along with the Pod may help the kid adjust to NHL. The pod is going to be a big part of this team in a few years.
Agree completely and Pod, Hoglander, and Rathbone all play with an edge too. Over the next couple years all three should be on the team and it could represent a solid 5 year window where they're adding a blue chipper each year on an entry level deal. Anything can happen, it's shaping up to be a great time to be a Canucks fan again.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It is all good to be a canucks fan again. Gotta love the upswing years...the skys the limit
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Next season starts on Sep 19th in the SHL but not till December in the NHL. This creates a special situation for SHL players with a valid contract for next season that have recently signed with the NHL, such as Nils Höglander.

The NHL and the SHL has now agreed that they can remain with their current SHL teams till Nov 17th, which means they can play the first two months of the SHL season before crossing the Atlantic to join their NHL teams.

This could let a player like Höglander come flying out of the gates when the NHL starts as he will be in mid season mode already, yet I guess it could also mean really heavy legs at the end of the season if he has played some 20+ SHL games as warmup and then a full NHL season.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 am Next season starts on Sep 19th in the SHL but not till December in the NHL. This creates a special situation for SHL players with a valid contract for next season that have recently signed with the NHL, such as Nils Höglander.

The NHL and the SHL has now agreed that they can remain with their current SHL teams till Nov 17th, which means they can play the first two months of the SHL season before crossing the Atlantic to join their NHL teams.

This could let a player like Höglander come flying out of the gates when the NHL starts as he will be in mid season mode already, yet I guess it could also mean really heavy legs at the end of the season if he has played some 20+ SHL games as warmup and then a full NHL season.
Playing plenty in a high caliber situation is better then long stretches of non competitive practice. He's young. He can take it.
It will obviously be a spell before any semblance of normality will be seen in the AHL, the minor league for signed NHL players developing,
maturing or not NHL ready yet.
Quite frankly, if there are safe places in Europe for signed NHL players to play temporally, it would be of great value to them.
Alas, I fear many will just sit around North America with absolutely sweet fuck-all to do. Not good. We can't put blinders on;
The NHL is keeping the interest high with their playoff plan and at least twenty-four cities are having camps in their own buildings,
(feel bad for the other seven...it should have included at least a training camp for them too).

It's hard for me to believe anything will improve for AHL cities before the new year, and that's hopeful.
SO:, Per; Can you see temps in Sweden and other European countries? Ones that are safe of course...
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Per wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 am Next season starts on Sep 19th in the SHL but not till December in the NHL. This creates a special situation for SHL players with a valid contract for next season that have recently signed with the NHL, such as Nils Höglander.

Interesting, but I seriously wonder if the NHL will look to a full 82 game season next year.

If they shorten to 70 games, that should shave almost a month off the season's length. I guess the trick is going to be, how to maximize the number of games from the moment that tickets can be sold again and get that gate revenue back. But if that's not likely for the 20/21 season, I would rather they shorten the season by 2 months, have a full playoff that's mostly on-schedule (starting in April), then 21/22 is back on track. The other benefit is that puts the playoffs at a time of year that won't compete with NBA playoffs for once.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:42 pm It is all good to be a canucks fan again. Gotta love the upswing years...the skys the limit
Benning says thank you and adds a special thanks for remaining calm during the tough process of getting this organization top to bottom back to respectability just like the constant calm seas of Doc, Topper and the Chef whom all 3 believed in us the whole way
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Micky wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:37 am
Quite frankly, if there are safe places in Europe for signed NHL players to play temporally, it would be of great value to them.
Alas, I fear many will just sit around North America with absolutely sweet fuck-all to do. Not good. We can't put blinders on;
The NHL is keeping the interest high with their playoff plan and at least twenty-four cities are having camps in their own buildings,
(feel bad for the other seven...it should have included at least a training camp for them too).

It's hard for me to believe anything will improve for AHL cities before the new year, and that's hopeful.
SO:, Per; Can you see temps in Sweden and other European countries? Ones that are safe of course...
I think the Swedish leagues will probably rule against an influx of players that do not sign for the full season. It would make a joke of the league if they had a bunch of superstars playing one third of the season and then taking off. Then have regular players who have been benched for two months pick up the slack....

The players who are currently under contract and meant to head over to the NHL next year is a different matter. They are just a handful, they will be staying on with the teams they already play for and they are generally not the main stars of their team at this point; it’s mostly young players who have not reached their peak yet, but show a lot of potential.

That being said, there may be other leagues that would be interested. NHL stars would put asses in seats and raise the interest in countries where hockey is still struggling. And in case the league cannot enforce a ban, there will certainly be teams that would be interested. Anything to increase revenue.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:26 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:42 pm It is all good to be a canucks fan again. Gotta love the upswing years...the skys the limit
Benning says thank you and adds a special thanks for remaining calm during the tough process of getting this organization top to bottom back to respectability just like the constant calm seas of Doc, Topper and the Chef whom all 3 believed in us the whole way
The reality is if Benning picked who most of this board wanted in 2017 and 2018 (myself, you and Doc included, Topper doesn’t comment much on who the team should draft), he would be out of a job here. While I believe Noah Dobson, Cody Glass and Gabe Vilardi will all be good players, they aren’t Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson. The impact those two kids have made on the team has been massive. If he didn’t draft back to back Calder finalists and the team didn’t improve 20 + points ( pace wise anyways), he’s kicking a rock down Hastings Street.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

You probably mean who, right?
I can’t make heads or tails of that sentence otherwise.
Last edited by Per on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 am
The reality is if Benning picked who most off this board wanted in 2017 and 2018 (myself, you and Doc included, Topper doesn’t comment much on who the team should draft), he would be out of a job here. While I believe Noah Dobson, Cody Glass and Gabe Vilardi will all be good players, they aren’t Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson. The impact those two kids have made on the team has been massive. If he didn’t draft back to back Calder finalists and the team didn’t improve 20 + points ( pace wise anyways), he’s kicking a rock down Hastings Street.
So you mean most people who don’t post here? But you, Doc and the Dude do. Makes no sense.
Or do you mean most people not on the Vancouver Canucks board of directors? :eh:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Doc, please help. :(
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I edited for you Per
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 am
The reality is if Benning picked who most of this board wanted in 2017 and 2018 (myself, you and Doc included, Topper doesn’t comment much on who the team should draft), he would be out of a job here. While I believe Noah Dobson, Cody Glass and Gabe Vilardi will all be good players, they aren’t Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson. The impact those two kids have made on the team has been massive. If he didn’t draft back to back Calder finalists and the team didn’t improve 20 + points ( pace wise anyways), he’s kicking a rock down Hastings Street.
The impact of Hughes and Pettersson has been massive and it was immediate, which is incredible. History in the making as we haven't seen anything like it in the team's 50 years, especially with Hughes being a defenseman. Maybe Linden followed by Bure is somewhat close because of Bure?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Benning says thank you and adds a special thanks for remaining calm during the tough process of getting this organization top to bottom back to respectability just like the conasda dfdssfhp sskellsh Doc, Topper sasdfaehykg ssitsssa mphhh soslurpp mpbigss ssdphsllhs the whole wasgpptsss mphhh mmmphhhh......
Could you say that again Dude, kinda hard to understand.....I think you musta had a coupla cocks in your mouth or something.