Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal · @DhaliwalSports
7th Jul 2020 from TwitLonger

We could find out soon if Jack Rathbone decide’s to sign with the Canucks.
A new CBA transition rule may potentially speed up defenseman Jack Rathbone decision on signing with the Canucks or return for another season at the U of Harvard.

When the new CBA is announced there will be a 53-hour window to sign rookies and burn a year on their contracts.

Because Rathbone is 21 years old, he would sign a 3 year deal.

Based on what we’ve learned on the transition rule, the Canucks can sign Rathbone at noon ET the third day after the CBA agreement is signed, ends 5pm ET the fifth day.

IF Rathbone signs, he would get no signing bonus and would not play this season in the return to play format but it would still burn the first year of his 3 year contract.

Will Harvard hockey even play next season, seems less likely as each month passes. Some think there will be no fall sports at Harvard.

Is Europe a possibility for Rathbone, everything is on the table but not likely.

Rathbone has a decision to make, sign with the Canucks and burn a year off his deal or continue to play the waiting game with Harvard.

We may get clarity soon on one the top defenseman prospects in the Vancouver organization.

Talked with a scout in the NCAA today on Rathbone : "Great pick by the Canucks, this is a great kid who comes from a great family. He is a slick puck moving defenseman who defends well. Offensively he is really good as well, has a bomb of a shot from the point. He passes the puck like a pro.”

by Rick Dhaliwal
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He will sign. They may try to get him to play in Europe for a year especially with the uncertainty of the AHL but he will have the summer to mull it over. Its a no brainer for him to sign now as it is for the Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

31 points in 28 games / 5.11 (looks bigger), 190 lbs. Left defense (future one-two punch).

Your right Wids. Play a high caliber game next season but still strut your stuff at camp.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Micky wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:51 pm

31 points in 28 games / 5.11 (looks bigger), 190 lbs. Left defense (future one-two punch).

Your right Wids. Play a high caliber game next season but still strut your stuff at camp.
Looks like a player. Hope he signs, I more hopeful for him than I am Juolevi. I'm a big Tryamkin fan too so adding the two of these guys would be really good adds for next season IMO.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Everyone deals in rumors. In these difficult times, it's bloody well worse!!
Taj@taj1944
Drance: "There are whispers that Jack Rathbone is a higher than normal level flight risk. "

Drance mentions that next week is crunch time with Rathbone and if they can't sign him in the 3 day window, they need to pivot and look at dealing him. #bombshell #rathbonewatch
10:09 PM · Jul 10, 2020·
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Micky wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:34 am Everyone deals in rumors. In these difficult times, it's bloody well worse!!
Taj@taj1944
Drance: "There are whispers that Jack Rathbone is a higher than normal level flight risk. "

Drance mentions that next week is crunch time with Rathbone and if they can't sign him in the 3 day window, they need to pivot and look at dealing him. #bombshell #rathbonewatch
Harvard players tend to be prone to being a flight risks. Look at their recent history - Vesey, Fox and Kerfoot. I’m resided to the fact we ain’t signing him. Maybe we can trade him to get rid of a contract, I’m good with that

I guess the long and short of it is Harvard has a proud history of producing disloyal graduates. Are we surprised.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 am
Micky wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:34 am Everyone deals in rumors. In these difficult times, it's bloody well worse!!
Taj@taj1944

Harvard players tend to be prone to being a flight risks. Look at their recent history - Vesey, Fox and Kerfoot. I’m resided to the fact we ain’t signing him. Maybe we can trade him to get rid of a contract, I’m good with that

I guess the long and short of it is Harvard has a proud history of producing disloyal graduates. Are we surprised.
I'm sorry if this doesn't work out. Re-supplying our defense from within is a good thing. Now more than ever, money is everything.

But like you say, unloading a bad contract would be a God-send at this point.

The league, having seen the escapades of our young Quinn Hughes, would kinda be a selling point for a guy like Rathbone. No, he's not as good but there are similarities. Still hope he signs here.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Micky wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:30 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 am
Taj@taj1944

I'm sorry if this doesn't work out. Re-supplying our defense from within is a good thing. Now more than ever, money is everything.

But like you say, unloading a bad contract would be a God-send at this point.

The league, having seen the escapades of our young Quinn Hughes, would kinda be a selling point for a guy like Rathbone. No, he's not as good but there are similarities. Still hope he signs here.
He’s probably more influenced by the route fellow alumni before him like Kerfoot, Vesey and Fox have taken than Quinn Hughes, and Im assuming Harvard is very supportive of that since, well, they stay in school longer
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Don't forget John Marino, another Harvard RHD the Oilers drafted and had to trade to the Pens just to salvage a late round pick. As a rookie, 26 points in 56 games with a +17 is very impressive.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Prospect pool list ranking?

1. Podkolzin
2. Hoglander
3. Rathbone
4. Lind
5. Juolevi
6. DiPietro
7. Rafferty
8. Woo
9. Lockwood
10. Brisebios
11. Gadjovich

Throw in Tryamkin and McEwan with the graduated - Petterson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Demko, Gaudette. Great trades Miller and Toffoli. Clendenning, Bonino for Sutter and Lockwood. Great asset management McCann for Gudbranson for Pearson. Carcone for Leivo. Great signings - Roussel, Myers. I’d say Yup, Doc and I were right about Benning. Absolute Genius

We good
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 am Prospect pool list ranking?

1. Podkolzin
2. Hoglander
3. Rathbone
4. Lind
5. Juolevi
6. DiPietro
7. Rafferty
8. Woo
9. Lockwood
10. Brisebios
11. Gadjovich

Throw in Tryamkin and McEwan with the graduated - Petterson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Demko, Gaudette. Great trades Miller and Toffoli. Clendenning, Bonino for Sutter and Lockwood. Great asset management McCann for Gudbranson for Pearson. Carcone for Leivo. Great signings - Roussel, Myers. I’d say Yup, Doc and I were right about Benning. Absolute Genius

We good
I’d go
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Ratbones
DiPietro
Woo
Gadjovich
Lind
Lockwood
Rafferty
Juolevi
Brisebois

The rest of the post is a blob of random shit, not much to do with Young Guns.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RathBone Thugs N Harmony talking about Johnson and Higgins.
Rathbone: They've been great. Especially Chris Higgins and Ryan Johnson and the local scouts there. Being an asset and a resource I can reach out to.

Being in that dialogue with them throughout the season but giving me the space to play my game. Was a relationship I cherished.
So Weisbrod brought him up in the 2017 draft,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ApK-R ... u.be&t=183

Rathbone talking about Higgins and Johnson, I don't see much of brackett here.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 am

1. Podkolzin
2. Hoglander
3. Rathbone
4. Lind
5. Juolevi
6. DiPietro
7. Rafferty
8. Woo
9. Lockwood
10. Brisebios
11. Gadjovich

We good
I’d go
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Ratbones
DiPietro
Woo
Gadjovich
Lind
Lockwood
Rafferty
Juolevi
Brisebois

Couple of the random guys I'm watching for at some point to take a run at 4th line, grinding and PK duty are Focht and Keppen. Will be interesting to see how they progress.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 am

1. Podkolzin
2. Hoglander
3. Rathbone
4. Lind
5. Juolevi
6. DiPietro
7. Rafferty
8. Woo
9. Lockwood
10. Brisebios
11. Gadjovich

We good
I’d go
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Ratbones
DiPietro
Woo
Gadjovich
Lind
Lockwood
Rafferty
Juolevi
Brisebois

Gadjovich ahead of Lind? What-da-fuck? Gold Jerry! Gold!!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Not holding out a lot of hope for Gadjovich. He has the same problem as the day he was drafted - speed. Great hands, good size, but he Just isn’t quick enough. He hasn’t improved enough to hold out much hope. He still might improve, but he should probably be behind everyone else on these lists.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.