Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:23 pm
Anyone have any prognostications as to who they thing might be a pleasant surprise (with the emphasis on surprise)?
My question a few posts ago was about Dahlen and that i think he may be that suprise come September.

He was a point a game player for Timra the past 2 years and was a key cog for them jumping out of the alsvenskan into the SEL if I'm not mistaken. He also was the leagues MVP.

Those are some impressive accomplishments considering hes only 20 years old .

He has my vote for a potential usurper come training camp
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

IMO, Goldobin will have to hit it out of the park in pre-season.
If not? There is no way he'll do the up and down to Utica thing, (70k in the minors), no way.
It'll be more like, " Help me, Igor. Get me outta here! I wanna go home.

Guess he could end up on another NHL team but doubt the Canucks will do that for next to nothing.
I hope he makes it but just hard to imagine it playing out that way.

There may well be room for Dahlen.

What will piss me off is that if after all the shenanigans, Mr. Virtanen doesn't claim a spot.
At that point, I start chanting: NO MORE :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Will be interested in the two buddies, Palmu and Gadjovick. If they are skating better as rumoured, they could be pleasant surprises. Dark horses to make the team, but possible early call-ups if they do well. Palmu looked good against his fellow prospects. He’ll be interesting to watch as the quality of competition gets jacked up.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I’ll be interested to see how Palmu and Gadjovich do in camp just to see how they stack up with the regulars. I don’t see them getting a sniff till next year at least, but do think they’ll play in Vancouver at some point. Utica should be fun to watch this year.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:23 pm I didn't really follow either Goldy or Lipstick earlier in their careers, but is there really that much of a difference from Dahlen? Asking from a lack of knowledge, not trying to disagree (and I'm too lazy right now to do any in depth research).
The main difference if you are on a Canucks message board is that we haven't seen one play for the Canucks and therefore is going to be great....

That's only kind of a joke. The point is that at 20 years old, there were lots of high hopes for Goldobin and he was (I am sure) pencilled into many Sharks top 6s.... Leipsic less so; more warts, less heralded prospect. When he was Dahlin's post draft year, he was included as a B prospect (add, not centerpiece, which was a 1st) in a deadline deal to Toronto in 2015; quickly surpassed in Toronto by other forwards (the already drafted Nylander and the soon-to-be drafted Marner); exposed in the expansion draft because, well, Connor Brown had better potential. Leipsic had a great set of opening games for the Canucks, but my view is that the odds are very much against him being a contributor. Still, worth an AHL defenseman that the Canucks didn't see as part of their long term plans.

I'm holding out for Goldobin, though. H improved his play as much as Virtanen did last year (compared to where they started the season). Maybe more so, though in more subtle ways (which is why it appears to have gone mostly over the heads of certain posters....). His realistic ceiling might be Sven Baertschi. That's not terrible.
Hono_rary Canadian
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Goldobin has flashes of amazing talent and pretty goals. But I haven't seen that complete game from him. He shows his frustration when he isn't producing points. He has that ability to be electrifying but also the penchant for quitting on a play.
At times he appears disinterested and floats. At times he uses his speed to get back defensively. As others have said he needs to be top six or nothing.

The comparison to Baertschi is a good one. He may need a change of scenery to have his breakout year, or at least a coach who is willing to let him play. At the end of last season it was clear Green decided, or it was decided for him, that through hell or high water the kids had to play, and play more. The results were there. Goldobin had his best showing as a Canuck, found chemistry with Virtanen, and started to show a more consistent game. I think if the Canucks continue to be patient and let him play he could have a 20-20 type of season.

With him though, he will never ever be given the long leash like I suspect a Dahlen or Pettersson will be given. Or that Jake was given year one. I’d like to see the Canucks give him a long solid look and opportunity this season.

Leipsic is more a spit balling energy guy with speed to burn and flashes of skill. He’s also learned the defensive side of the game. He has some jam to his game. A mouthy agitating asshole. While he could probably hold down a top six position in a depth role I see him more as a third line player who can provide secondary scoring while agitating the opposition. Even though he’s a small guy he will hit. He’s not afraid to mix it up and is strong on the forecheck. I see a little of Burrows, Cook and Hansen in him. And for him to stay in the NHL he has to become that type of third line player. I see him as more of a Granlund replacement than anything.

Dahlen, well he’s yet to play a NHL game. While as a prospect he is high up there until we see his pro game its far too early to see what he’s got.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Absolutely fantastic to hear the voice of reason. :)
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 am
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:23 pm I didn't really follow either Goldy or Lipstick earlier in their careers, but is there really that much of a difference from Dahlen? Asking from a lack of knowledge, not trying to disagree (and I'm too lazy right now to do any in depth research).
The main difference if you are on a Canucks message board is that we haven't seen one play for the Canucks and therefore is going to be great....

That's only kind of a joke. The point is that at 20 years old, there were lots of high hopes for Goldobin and he was (I am sure) pencilled into many Sharks top 6s.... Leipsic less so; more warts, less heralded prospect. When he was Dahlin's post draft year, he was included as a B prospect (add, not centerpiece, which was a 1st) in a deadline deal to Toronto in 2015; quickly surpassed in Toronto by other forwards (the already drafted Nylander and the soon-to-be drafted Marner); exposed in the expansion draft because, well, Connor Brown had better potential. Leipsic had a great set of opening games for the Canucks, but my view is that the odds are very much against him being a contributor. Still, worth an AHL defenseman that the Canucks didn't see as part of their long term plans.

I'm holding out for Goldobin, though. H improved his play as much as Virtanen did last year (compared to where they started the season). Maybe more so, though in more subtle ways (which is why it appears to have gone mostly over the heads of certain posters....). His realistic ceiling might be Sven Baertschi. That's not terrible.
I’m afraid Goldie is too weak on the puck and doesn’t quite have the foot speed to play at the nhl level, liepsic I could see playing a 3rd 4th line role with his skating abilities if he’s unable to crack the top 6. Dahlen again seems more aggressive on the puck but who knows.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:17 am IMO, Goldobin will have to hit it out of the park in pre-season.
If not? There is no way he'll do the up and down to Utica thing, (70k in the minors), no way.
It'll be more like, " Help me, Igor. Get me outta here! I wanna go home.

Guess he could end up on another NHL team but doubt the Canucks will do that for next to nothing.
I hope he makes it but just hard to imagine it playing out that way.

There may well be room for Dahlen.

What will piss me off is that if after all the shenanigans, Mr. Virtanen doesn't claim a spot.
At that point, I start chanting: NO MORE :mrgreen:
For the most part, I said this because I know there is a numbers game at hand, in theory, a good thing. Wont be for a couple. :(
Will it be a fair fight? Wish I could say for 100% affirmative.
There is this nagging part, instinct if you will, that says to me it isn't beyond the realm of possibility the Family could potentially
apply some pressure in show casing new faces in version "18/19 point sell tickets".
Not saying Trev doesn't have all the clout, just saying. :wink:
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'm a little surprised that even when Goldobin was given more opportunity in the garbage days of the season, he was still only getting 13-14 min/game. Leipsic averaged almost 17 min/game in his stint.

I think Leispic and Goldy are very similar. I was at the game where Leipsic's turnover lead to the Boeser injury. He was insane that game - 6 PIMs, 2 goals 1 assist, indirectly caused Boeser's injury, gives up the penalty that leads to the tying goal with 1:04 to go in the 3rd... then he gets the OT winner. I kept expecting him to get benched after each penalty, but Green kept putting him out there.

It may just be a perception thing, but I can't imagine any other young, tweener offensive forward getting that much rope, seeming to hang himself with it, and still getting put out there in 3-on-3.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lipstick plays a gritty 200 foot game.

Goldie not.

Goldie is going to have to score a lot of goals to make it in the NHL.

Lipstick not.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

Leipsic and Green have a successful history dating back to the their Portland days.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:09 pm Leipsic and Green have a successful history dating back to the their Portland days.
Right, Green trusts Lipstick.

Goldie, not so much.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 am
All the Canucks wingers:

Eriksson (big cash)

The new reliable depth vets:
Roussel, Schaller.

Experienced young vets: Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen(already! wow but still a young 21 year old #crazy [almost 22 yes]) Brendan Gaunce - the forgotten one (always has good metrics, big boy, has decent AHL stats and a ton of shots) decent depth guy to have around on "the fifth line" the 5th line should be Leipsic, Gaudette, Gaunce and Archi.

The unproven:
Dahlen, Leipsic, Goldobin.

The recent draftees: Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Palmu, Jasek, Manukyan.

Now if we are going with potential, I'd say Dahlen, Virtanen and Goldy have the most upside of the bunch.

Nikolay Goldobin
towards the end of the season starting going buck wild with scoring chances like a hornet buzzing around the net, his confidence was high and he was feeling it & Green was rewarding that as he was getting basically 4th line minutes then went to 3rd line minutes, and lets not forget - dude almost has a point per game in the AHL with (52g, 73a) 125 points in 148 games, he's the type that all he needs is a chance and confidence to blossom - akin to Jonathan Marchessault who was stuck behind "depth".

Leipsic is the perfect depth guy, plays a fast game, has some grit in his lil bod', and can pop in some goals.

Granlund is a superb 200ft guy, reliable, Green loves to use him on the penalty kill unit and he has an underappreciated scoring ability, but he's stuck in that defensive role, so he just has to use any little offensive chances he can get to start sniping in some goals.

Dahlen
carried his squad in SM-Liiga, basically took the whole Timra team on his back and hauled them into the SHL next season, you can even see that aggressive play in his short stint in Utica, he plays fearless and attacks the net with authority to get goals. Dahlen and Boeser will likely be our best scoring wingers long term.

Honestly I'd say we should try to move Eriksson for anything cheap, just for the roster space. I think he'd waive to play with his fave coach Claude Julien on the Habs. I mean Granlund can do what Eriksson does (200ft game) just for millions cheaper.

Up front overall - Eriksson and Gagner imo should be moved out to allow these younger guys a legitimate chance to play some meaningful minutes, they are made expendable thanks to signing 3 ultra depth vets in Roussel, Beagle and Schaller, plus Pettersson and Gaudette makes Gagner moveable.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Brendan Gaunce - the forgotten one (always has good metrics, big boy, has decent AHL stats and a ton of shots) decent depth guy to have around on "the fifth line"
Gaunce will never get a sniff on this team again. (With hope!!) the signing of Beagle, Rousel, and Schaller drive him so far into Utica, he should never see the light of day again. If we need his kind of 'depth' we are so fucked.. it'll be like a pretty boy in prison. we will still suck so bad and we will be waiting to get corncobbed by the draft lottery again.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.