Re-booted SKYO approved pipe dreams and trade ideas

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Re-booted SKYO approved pipe dreams and trade ideas

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Canucks have had a string of solid goaltending since Roberto Lalongo:

Luongo
Schneider
Miller
Markstrom
Demko
Silovs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Luongo put and end to our goalie graveyard.

(Or was it Ian Clarke?)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:27 pm Luongo put and end to our goalie graveyard.

(Or was it Ian Clarke?)
The Great Dave Nonis put an end to it, traded for Luongo and drafted Schneider!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:03 pm
Cornuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:27 pm Luongo put and end to our goalie graveyard.

(Or was it Ian Clarke?)
The Great Dave Nonis put an end to it, traded for Luongo and drafted Schneider!
No Schneider, no Hronek.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:41 pm Topopopolo is a giant who was considered to be a pretty good prospect, even surpassing Silovs in some people's eyes
He is an outside shot at this point. Silovs has had a solid 12 month run, and is looking legit. But, hey, Ian Clarke seems to have the magic touch, so I wouldn't say Tolopila has no chance.

Let's keep Silovs just so the media can have another controversy.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think it’s paramount Alvin cuts his losses on the Mikheyev experiment, trade him some how to free up the cap space to go towards retaining some of Lindholm, Zadorov and Joshua.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:11 am I think it’s paramount Alvin cuts his losses on the Mikheyev experiment, trade him some how to free up the cap space to go towards retaining some of Lindholm, Zadorov and Joshua.
Not sure its of "paramount" importance, but it might be the best step forward. I doubt there's a market for him at that cap hit; there might be with 50-66% of salary retained. Since his contract wasn't terribly front loaded, there are real cap savings from a buyout. Cap Friendly shows $3.6M is savings next year (cap hit of $1.15M), $2.6M in savings the following year (cap hit of $2.15M), and cap hits of $1.55M the two years after the contract would have otherwise expired.

But when you use savings to resign players, you need to replace the spot in the line up with at least a league minimum player, who will likely be league minimum in value.
Hono_rary Canadian
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

It's a shame Utah won't want to be the league's cap graveyard anymore, hopefully Chicago and San Jose are looking for serviceable NHL players or we can find someone willing to exchange distressed assets for maybe a defenseman the team thinks they can get more out of.

Mikheyev is probably our biggest short term cap problem at this point.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

UWSaint wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:25 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:11 am I think it’s paramount Alvin cuts his losses on the Mikheyev experiment, trade him some how to free up the cap space to go towards retaining some of Lindholm, Zadorov and Joshua.
Not sure its of "paramount" importance, but it might be the best step forward. I doubt there's a market for him at that cap hit; there might be with 50-66% of salary retained. Since his contract wasn't terribly front loaded, there are real cap savings from a buyout. Cap Friendly shows $3.6M is savings next year (cap hit of $1.15M), $2.6M in savings the following year (cap hit of $2.15M), and cap hits of $1.55M the two years after the contract would have otherwise expired.

But when you use savings to resign players, you need to replace the spot in the line up with at least a league minimum player, who will likely be league minimum in value.
Mikheyev and a 5th for a 6th or 7th. Avoid the buyout if at possible.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:25 pm

Lol it will be a fair bit more than that. They will want a better pick, a decent prospect and will send back a 1.5 million dollar slug.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:51 pm

Lol it will be a fair bit more than that. They will want a better pick, a decent prospect and will send back a 1.5 million dollar slug.
Realistically, send him to Abby and hope he eventually comes out of hibernation.
el rey del mambo
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

They upgraded their pick by 60+ spots, and sure, send back a slug (or even 2) at 1.5 or less. Those slugs just get sent down and it’s a couple hundred thousand on the cap (once we call up some ELC boys) vs Mikey’s whollop. Not a big deal, solves the problem for us with minimal expenditure.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:32 pm

They upgraded their pick by 60+ spots, and sure, send back a slug (or even 2) at 1.5 or less. Those slugs just get sent down and it’s a couple hundred thousand on the cap (once we call up some ELC boys) vs Mikey’s whollop. Not a big deal, solves the problem for us with minimal expenditure.
We traded Dickinson away at 1/2 the cap hit of Mikeyev, and it cost us a 2nd round pick.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

We just can't afford to take on more dead cap. No mas!
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:05 pm We just can't afford to take on more dead cap. No mas!
Pretty much. May have to package him out with a sweetener if we would like to get some of Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua, Myers back and give Hronek a raise. They could trade Hronek and or Garland for futures but I highly doubt they would want to.

Lafferty, DeSmith and Cole are gone