Re-booted SKYO approved pipe dreams and trade ideas

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Re-booted SKYO approved pipe dreams and trade ideas

Post by Chef Boi RD »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:32 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:12 pm If Silovs is the deal…do we move him or Demko to sort out our thin top 6 winger situation?
Silovs won't get you much now, but if he's the real deal next year then you consider moving Demko with a year left on his contract.
If Silovs is the deal, to early to tell yes I agree but you’re right if he is the real deal you move Demko in the off season after next season. You’d fetch a song or two trading Demmer. You certainly do not want to walk him to free agency like we did with Marky Mark.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:17 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:12 pm If Silovs is the deal…do we move him or Demko to sort out our thin top 6 winger situation?
UMMMMM... no.
An extremely stubborn and close minded opinion to Chefs angle.
No just no, a thousand times no.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:05 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:17 pm
UMMMMM... no.
An extremely stubborn and close minded opinion to Chefs angle.
No just no, a thousand times no.
You need to spread your wings and fly like an eagle on this one, Doc. Trust me.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:07 pm Trust me.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

There may be teams that would pay a premium for Silovs. We have 2 other youngsters up and coming.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:35 am There may be teams that would pay a premium for Silovs. We have 2 other youngsters up and coming.
If he plays a couple more games like the last one I'd say that Edmonton may be one of those teams. :lol:
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:35 am There may be teams that would pay a premium for Silovs. We have 2 other youngsters up and coming.
If he plays a couple more games like the last one I'd say that Edmonton may be one of those teams. :lol:
Blasphemy! :evil:

A goalie like that could can never play for another Canadian team! :twisted:

Send him to Columbus for picks or one of their valuable youngsters; they seem to have a history with Latvian netminders. ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Yes, let's trade away our ELCs.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:42 am
Mëds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 am
Blasphemy! :evil:

A goalie like that could can never play for another Canadian team! :twisted:

Send him to Columbus for picks or one of their valuable youngsters; they seem to have a history with Latvian netminders. ;)
I didn’t say he would play for Edmonton. Just that they might want to pay the premium. We of course would take the second place offer and deal him south as a snub to Coilville.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You can never count out the old man Rutherford when it comes to outside the box trades, I’m sure this one has already crossed his desk. There are some desperate teams in need of tenders.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Unless we get a top 15 pick for Silovs, keep him. He is worth more than most will pay.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Tciso wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:40 am Unless we get a top 15 pick for Silovs, keep him. He is worth more than most will pay.
At this point, for sure. He could be our next starter, or fizzle out next year (unlikely) - but I doubt anyone would give us much (except maybe edmonton :D )
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:22 am You can never count out the old man Rutherford when it comes to outside the box trades, I’m sure this one has already crossed his desk. There are some desperate teams in need of tenders.
A healthy Demko is one of the few top tier goalies in this league these days who from a performance perspective seems reliable as a floor and Vezina winner as a ceiling. These guys don't grow on trees. But the injuries are very concerning.

Silovs has been fun to watch--who doesn't like the kid--but he's no Demko, and he's no Demko 4 years ago. I think he's got a "starter" ceiling who can go on a hot run, but I don't see Vezina finalist type.

I have to think a number of teams would be curious about Demko or Silovs. But goalies usually bring underwhelming trade returns. Still, there are several teams I can see thinking Demko would change their fortunes dramatically, teams that think they are ready but for the goaltending (or are losing a starter) (e.g., New Jersey, Toronto, Edmonton, LA).

For Silovs, his ELC status expires at the end of this season, and while he doesn't have arbitration rights, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that a team could float him an offer sheet. He's worth a second, right? That range is $2.1 mill to $4.3 mill (rounding). That's a fair amount to spend on a goalie if the team thinks he's ready to be in a tandem with a shot at earning an outright starter spot (consider Montreal assuming Price is cooked, Detroit) or as an heir apparent (Nashville). It is also more than a team (Vancouver) wants to spend on a backup. I don't think he's quite there (plan on him as a tandem), but for a team with goaltending issues that is looking for lightning in a bottle?

If a team is willing to overpay for Silovs and the Canucks have an opportunity to trade him before the RFA negotiations, my view is that they should definitely listen.... I'd rather risk Demko's health and look to make him the team's goalie until he's 34/35 than put this chips in with Silovs.
Hono_rary Canadian
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

UWSaint wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:02 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:22 am You can never count out the old man Rutherford when it comes to outside the box trades, I’m sure this one has already crossed his desk. There are some desperate teams in need of tenders.
For Silovs, his ELC status expires at the end of this season, and while he doesn't have arbitration rights, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that a team could float him an offer sheet. He's worth a second, right? That range is $2.1 mill to $4.3 mill (rounding). That's a fair amount to spend on a goalie if the team thinks he's ready to be in a tandem with a shot at earning an outright starter spot (consider Montreal assuming Price is cooked, Detroit) or as an heir apparent (Nashville). It is also more than a team (Vancouver) wants to spend on a backup. I don't think he's quite there (plan on him as a tandem), but for a team with goaltending issues that is looking for lightning in a bottle?

If a team is willing to overpay for Silovs and the Canucks have an opportunity to trade him before the RFA negotiations, my view is that they should definitely listen.... I'd rather risk Demko's health and look to make him the team's goalie until he's 34/35 than put this chips in with Silovs.
I don't think we've seen Silovs' ceiling yet. He's more active/erratic in net compared to Demko, who seems to just already be there for the shot with less movement. That said, he is big and acrobatic, and he performs under pressure - he was the MVP for last year's World Hockey Championship when he took the Latvian team on his back and got them to their first ever bronze medal. Ideally, Silovs will back up Demko for another couple years before management has to think about succession. I don't think anyone is ready to move on from Demko yet, despite the injury concerns, because goalies like him don't grow on trees.

One thing that I think people are underestimating is the non-monetary reasons for Silovs to stay with the organization. Considering where he was drafted and the amount of development time he's had since then, I don't see him as a guy who thinks he should be a starter now. He may well understand what he has in Ian Clark and the organization's investment in player development when it comes to his development as a goalie. If he thinks he has another step or two to take to reach his potential, why would he risk that with a coaching staff he knows next to nothing about compared to what he knows he has in Vancouver? If he is getting to 25-27 years old and still no sign of sniffing the starting job, maybe he looks at that offer sheet differently, or walks to UFA.

Until then, I think it would have to be an eye-watering amount for Silovs to jump ship.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:51 am
UWSaint wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:02 am

I don't think we've seen Silovs' ceiling yet. He's more active/erratic in net compared to Demko, who seems to just already be there for the shot with less movement. That said, he is big and acrobatic, and he performs under pressure - he was the MVP for last year's World Hockey Championship when he took the Latvian team on his back and got them to their first ever bronze medal. Ideally, Silovs will back up Demko for another couple years before management has to think about succession. I don't think anyone is ready to move on from Demko yet, despite the injury concerns, because goalies like him don't grow on trees.

One thing that I think people are underestimating is the non-monetary reasons for Silovs to stay with the organization. Considering where he was drafted and the amount of development time he's had since then, I don't see him as a guy who thinks he should be a starter now. He may well understand what he has in Ian Clark and the organization's investment in player development when it comes to his development as a goalie. If he thinks he has another step or two to take to reach his potential, why would he risk that with a coaching staff he knows next to nothing about compared to what he knows he has in Vancouver? If he is getting to 25-27 years old and still no sign of sniffing the starting job, maybe he looks at that offer sheet differently, or walks to UFA.

Until then, I think it would have to be an eye-watering amount for Silovs to jump ship.
Lots of good points Lancer.

I’m the one who has put the most out there, on this here hockey talk message board, about Silovs succeeding Demko, so I’ll also say that I agree with you and I’m not wanting to move on from Demmer….. however, as UW points out, Demko is a top tier goaltender right now, and likely will be when his contract runs its course in 2 more seasons. While the cap will be increasing I do foresee the possibility of his asking price being closer to Vasilevskiy’s, and that may be too rich for Vancouver’s cap situation at that time….. and possibly unwise if there is a capable successor already in house.

As important as the position is, only one team has won with that massive percentage of overall cap committed to their goaltender, and that was Tampa, however they played cap games and Kucherov sat out the entire season only returning for the playoffs.

Florida might do it this year, although they are in the last year of their window as they only have 4 skaters making more $5M or more. With 10 of their skaters UFA’s at the end of this season they have some hard decisions to make.

It’s also worth noting the goaltenders from the Cup winning teams over the last 10 years……

2023 - Aidin Hill
2022 - Kuemper
2021 - Vasilevskiy
2020 - Vasilevskiy (before big contract)
2019 - Binnington
2018 - Holtby
2017 - Matt Murray/MAF
2016 - Matt Murray
2015 - Corey Crawford
2014 - Jonathan Quick

There have been pricey goaltenders, like Carey Price, who have backstopped the runner up, but those goaltenders couldn’t overcome the depth of the opposing team’s skaters.

I wouldn’t spend more than 8% of the cap on the goaltender. Right now we’re spending just a hair under 6%.

We also have to remember that the first year of Demko’s next contract will see the Canucks still missing $4.75M in space because of the OEL buyout.

I like the guy, but I just think it would be foolish to commit big cap and/or term to a goaltender who will be turning 31 years old.