NFL Thread: Thoughts on the game south of the 49th

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: CC Random thread

Post by donlever »

Wentz is the perfect example.

Had a portion of a great year in 2017.....signed a 4 year 128 million dollar deal after fucking up his knee.

Fell apart in Philly since then and got punted unceremoniously out of town.

This year in Indy he can't beat the worst team in the league in the final game of the season to make the playoffs.

He's a vastly overpaid below mid level (statistically and performance wise) NFL QB.

After him Goff got 4 years at 135 million.

On it goes from there up to Mahomes 12 year potentially 500 million dollar plus deal which peaks out at 60 million in the later 2020's. He averages 40 mill per over 12 with incentives that could clear the half billion mark.

The crazy thing is Mahomes will be a UFA at 37 and could sign another deal at that time.

Josh Allen is actually a higher AAV than Mahomes at 6 years and 258 mill which could hit 288 and he will sign another deal after that if he stays healthy.

Of course in the end it's about the guaranteed money but yeah...the NFL QB club is insanity.

What's Joe Burrows gonna get down the road if his play continues to grow?
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:51 pm . I just haven't been following NFL football enough in the last 15-20 years.
I kept thinking Bernie Sanders was that small running back from Detroit Lions
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Does the NFL have any sort of salary cap system in place?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 am Does the NFL have any sort of salary cap system in place?
Indeed.

Currently 182.5 million which is down from 198 and change in 2020 due to lost revenue as a result of Covid.

Next year it is anticipated to hit 208 million and change.

Their TV deals are sick.

EDIT...they do however....play a good number of games with the manner in which a players contract is allocated to the cap in any given year.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

That’s quite the cap! And I would assume they don’t have an individual player max like 20% of the cap to a single salary?

Not sure if I understand your edit point though!?

Watched some of the game last night, happened to turn it to the TSN channel that showed Manning and Manning with The Rock talking during the whole game. That was annoying.

I like playoffs and typically tune in to MLB, NFL, other NHL playoffs games. Just don’t follow anything else close enough to have interest.

Even the NHL now I don’t, did when I was routinely in pools.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Another shit game....very disappointing.

Next weekend will be far better.

It's to much to get into but in a nutshell with signing bonuses and salary structure they can make a 40 million dollar contract this year count as far less against the cap.

Prescott I believe his year was 17 mill and next will be 34 but they can offset that down the road by altering some of his salary to bonus as well.

It's robbing Peter to pay Paul and a bit of a shell game as it can bite you in the ass (a la Luongo....different scenario but same idea) where you carry a bunch of dead money if the player gets cut or retires (as happened with the Cowboys with Romo and Dez Bryant for instance).

The Cowboys will have this issue with Zeke Elliot in the next year or so and perhaps with Amari Cooper down the road.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Contract are also not guaranteed, that is up to players and their agents to negotiate.

I have long disliked Dangerunt in Seattle. A mediocre qb. Running around in circles in the backfield until the defence breaks down is not a game plan. His lack of vision over the line was compensated for by having a beast mode running game. His win/loss was topped up by an extraordinary defence that not only stopped the opposition but also turned over the ball and scored a lot of point in their own right. It never made any sense to me to sign him to the big dollars and once that brillo the brave red headed stepchild did, he never had the money to sign an offensive line.

Brillo the brave red headed step child built his name on a single draft by plucking gems in the late rounds and never had that success again. He ignored his first round picks, trading them for late round pick or the like of Percy Harvin. He went out and traded for a stellar receiving TE thatcouldn't block and his qb couldn't see over the middle. I have no idea how the guy keeps his job.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Interesting cap scenarios, definitely seems like capologists would be a necessity.

The non-guaranteed contracts I remember, which is why many have huge bonuses or some portion of guaranteed money I assume.

Has to be incredibly tough to build a full team when you have 2 completely different sets of players on the field. Especially when paying someone $40m and budgeting for a defence.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 am Contract are also not guaranteed, that is up to players and their agents to negotiate.

I have long disliked Dangerunt in Seattle. A mediocre qb. Running around in circles in the backfield until the defence breaks down is not a game plan. His lack of vision over the line was compensated for by having a beast mode running game. His win/loss was topped up by an extraordinary defence that not only stopped the opposition but also turned over the ball and scored a lot of point in their own right. It never made any sense to me to sign him to the big dollars and once that brillo the brave red headed stepchild did, he never had the money to sign an offensive line.
This.

As to the points above about QB salaries and when and when not to give them the massive coin.....

Very few QB's can overcome a weak offensive line. The greats can work with anything, it's not the cannon of an arm or the quick scrambling (enhanced scurry?) that sets them apart, it's the football IQ that lets them read a defense and pick it apart by knowing exactly when and where the gaps in coverage will be, and which defender to exploit in man coverage.

There are very few greats, and the only one playing right now at that level is Brady.....it doesn't matter what you give him to work with, he can win.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Your point is well made.

Football games are won in the trenches.

Especially come fall, winter and playoff time.

Look no further than Georgia besting Alabama for the CFP title a week or so back.

Alabama had the best QB (Heisman winner) in a landslide (the Georgia QB likely won't even get a CFL sniff) but Georgia won because both their O and D lines won their battles.

You can add Rodgers to Brady imo.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Well, listen to Don here... the great NFL and collage football anal-yst.

:mrgreen:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Love American Football.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: NFL Thread: Thoughts on the game south of the 49th

Post by Topper »

but did you ever win the CFL pool?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

And how did you really feel about the security guard demanding everyone talk CFL?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:53 pm but did you ever win the CFL pool?
The Black Ace!
If you need air...call it in