2021 NHL Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2021 NHL Playoffs

Post by Cherry Picker »

Kardi for a 3rd?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 am McKinnon will not take the hometown discount after being grossly underpaid on his current contract.
Chef with the vintage RD inflammatory bone headed comment to generate responses. LOL!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:23 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:47 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 am Pietrangelo might have been the best player in this series after Fleury.

UDL, Chef..... your thoughts? :mex:
I think it was more an indictment of how Colorado was outclassed than how well Petro played. Vancouver completely exposed him 10 months earlier to the point where his team just lets him go for nothing. He really is an average defender

Colorado became a small and soft team that, save for a handful of players, couldn't complete a pass or grt to the net at all.

If only they had a Bo Horvat or Tanner Pearson type they might have fared better
Colorado’s D and goaltending was severely exposed by the Knights. They have flashy offensive like D-men but they are brutally bad defensively. Wasn’t Girard on for all goals against? He’s good offensively but we might as well call him the next Tyson Barrie
He’s usually pretty sound defensively but he had a rough night. Much like Vancouver, their forwards blow the zone early and don’t help out much. Overall Nemeth and Graves struggled the most on D and Grubauer was horrible the last couple games. Having Kadri would have made a huge difference. He’s a good two way player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 am McKinnon will not take the hometown discount after being grossly underpaid on his current contract.
Chef with the vintage RD inflammatory bone headed comment to generate responses. LOL!
It was another great lay up for Doyle.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 amPietrangelo is still an elite D man.
He just got his 1st goal of the playoffs and had an aveage as fuck season.

If he was so elite STL would have hung onto him

Vegas fans have been going on and on all year about how Schmidt was a far better defender and the petro experiment has been a failure

Average at best

:mex:
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:33 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 am Pietrangelo might have been the best player in this series after Fleury.

I think it was more an indictment of how Colorado was outclassed than how well Petro played. Vancouver completely exposed him 10 months earlier to the point where his team just lets him go for nothing. He really is an average defender

Colorado became a small and soft team that, save for a handful of players, couldn't complete a pass or grt to the net at all.

If only they had a Bo Horvat or Tanner Pearson type they might have fared better
Colorado’s D and goaltending was severely exposed by the Knights. They have flashy offensive like D-men but they are brutally bad defensively. Wasn’t Girard on for all goals against? He’s good offensively but we might as well call him the next Tyson Barrie
He’s usually pretty sound defensively but he had a rough night. Much like Vancouver, their forwards blow the zone early and don’t help out much. Overall Nemeth and Graves struggled the most on D and Grubauer was horrible the last couple games. Having Kadri would have made a huge difference. He’s a good two way player.
Defence is not Girards strong suit. He was lit up big time last night
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:35 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 amPietrangelo is still an elite D man.
He just got his 1st goal of the playoffs and had an aveage as fuck season.

If he was so elite STL would have hung onto him

Vegas fans have been going on and on all year about how Schmidt was a far better defender and the petro experiment has been a failure

Average at best

:mex:
:lol:

Not to mention the goalies angles were brutal, he could’ve squared up easily with better puck tracking, that should’ve been an easy save not to mention he almost saved it even with a wide open net
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 am :lol: You hitting the glass beak with the Chef? Pietrangelo is still an elite D man.

If not for garbage goaltending by Binnington, that series was a toss up. Marky stood on his head.

One would think Kadri is finished in Colorado. Either they trade him or he goes to Seattle. What a selfish prick. Basically down to a one line team after that selfish play.

Fleury was the difference. Grubauer and the lack of a second line sunk Colorado.
Amazing how quickly the wheels can come off hey?
Here they are the presidents trophy and loaded with talent and scoring if not for the divisional bubbles they may be the class of the league

Then they run into the knights and boom reduced to a 1 line team with shoddy goaltending
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Tciso wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 am
He wasn't underpaid as much as he has over-performed
. He had 3 good seasons on his ELC, and signed an appropriate contract. He just happened to explode in year 5. In hindsight, he should have done a 3 year bridge, and then the monster contract. As it is, his current contract will expire just as the cap is set to sky rocket.
That....is an excellent point.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 am

I can't remember if it was the winner or the 5th goal that Girard was the absolute goat on.....not tying up the stick. But those were my thoughts right away, that was a weak play by a smallish offensive d-man in a do-or-die game.

Colorado is probably the fastest team in the league top to bottom, but the really do lack the size to overcome Vegas.

The loss of Kadri hurts a little, but chances are that against a team like Vegas he is a one-man penalty parade because he'd be retaliating against the bigger, stronger, Vegas team.

All that being said, there were plenty of times that Vegas got away with some really obvious obstruction/interference garbage. The number of times that Stone managed to "catch" MacKinnon. LOL! Stone is a slug compared to Nate.

I'm thinking that Gary wanted Vegas in the league so badly that he has a backdoor deal with their ownership to ensure that they get to the conference finals as often as possible for the first 5 years or something. :lol:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

ukcanuck wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am
Here they are the presidents trophy and loaded with talent and scoring if not for the divisional bubbles they may be the class of the league

Then they run into the knights and boom reduced to a 1 line team with shoddy goaltending
No kidding - how does a team have 4 players at or above PPG in the playoffs - FOR TWO YEARS IN A ROW - and get bounced in the second round both times?

Vin, here's a hint - it isn't because of Kadri :lol:

It's a systemic flaw in the way the team is built.

Also, in 3 years Malkin will be on his "retirement-style contract" at a lower cap hit and probably Zucker will be gone, leaving cap space for a 1/2 year shot at the Cup spending a couple nights in Sidney NS. If Joe loses Landeskog for nothing, he's got two years to try to make a run before MacKinnon goes and the rebuild restarts.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 am

Small sample size. He’s usually solid defensively. He’s a guy I’d look to move though. Push Byram onto that 2nd pair. Girard is on a good long term deal and could return a good young centre or a pile of picks.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:59 am
ukcanuck wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am

No kidding - how does a team have 4 players at or above PPG in the playoffs - FOR TWO YEARS IN A ROW - and get bounced in the second round both times?

Vin, here's a hint - it isn't because of Kadri :lol:

It's a systemic flaw in the way the team is built.

Also, in 3 years Malkin will be on his "retirement-style contract" at a lower cap hit and probably Zucker will be gone, leaving cap space for a 1/2 year shot at the Cup spending a couple nights in Sidney NS. If Joe loses Landeskog for nothing, he's got two years to try to make a run before MacKinnon goes and the rebuild restarts.
Did I say they only lost because Kadri wasn’t there? Grubauer stunk, Fleury was incredible, and the fact is the Knights are one of the best teams in the league. If the divisions weren’t fucked up these two teams would have met in the WC final. It is what it is. Vegas is probably the second best team behind Tampa. Should Carolina blow it up because they got beat by Tampa? Two of the four best teams are out in the second round. And the fact the Habs are in the final 4 is a farce. They played against the leaves and fIve garbage opponents all year. It was by far the worst division in the NHL.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Once MAF leaves Vegas I think they're gonna fall back to earth, he's their Patty Roy in net, without him the Avs would have curb stomped em this past series.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 am
It was another great lay up for Doyle.
Hargraves don’t do layups. He would prefer to stuff it down your throat