2021 NHL Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 NHL Playoffs

Post by ESQ »

Micky wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:12 pm Random memory..Some stuff just doesn't go away. Except for the brown stuff.
Newell looked like he really had Green's back there...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Whatever happened to the mindset that you didn't need a great goalie to win the Cup? You know, the ones who said you should not spend a ton of cap on a goalie and a good team can survive average goaltending.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:36 pm Joe not only loses again in the playoffs early but has to now lose Landeskog to UFA and give Makar $8 to $10 million per. Ouch!
It's quite incredible, you don't see many teams who draft such great players, and still is a below-average drafting team. Probably bottom-25% if you remove MacKinnon, when you take into account the number of lotto picks they've had over the past 11 years.

They did have a nice little window of good contracts, but that's coming to an end with Rantanen last year, Grubauer, Landeskog and Makar this year, and the $13-15 million MacKinnon time bomb in two years.

Poor Vin seems to be taking this one hard...
Lol why should I give a fuck? I am not an Avs fan.

So much wrong with this post. Mac already said he would take less so they could have a better team. He won’t be gouging them for 13 -15 million. And there’s no fucking way this is a team that’s in the bottom 25 % of drafting teams. And why remove Mackinnon? That’s some serious cherry picking.

Little window? Yeah ok. They should be a very good team for many years yet. They didn’t have a second line centre after Kadri got suspended. Simple fix. Trade Girard or Toews for a young second line C or a haul of draft picks. Newhook is going to be a good player. So is Bowen Byram.

Jared Bednar could be on the hot seat.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:36 pm Joe not only loses again in the playoffs early but has to now lose Landeskog to UFA and give Makar $8 to $10 million per. Ouch!
Lol I thought if you made the second round it was considered a run. Good players get paid. Free agents come and go. Real riveting shit here.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 am Whatever happened to the mindset that you didn't need a great goalie to win the Cup? You know, the ones who said you should not spend a ton of cap on a goalie and a good team can survive average goaltending.
:lol: Good one HW

It always comes down to goaltending and defence and structure
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

McKinnon will not take the hometown discount after being grossly underpaid on his current contract.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 am McKinnon will not take the hometown discount after being grossly underpaid on his current contract.
He wasn't underpaid as much as he has over-performed. He had 3 good seasons on his ELC, and signed an appropriate contract. He just happened to explode in year 5. In hindsight, he should have done a 3 year bridge, and then the monster contract. As it is, his current contract will expire just as the cap is set to sky rocket.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tciso wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 am McKinnon will not take the hometown discount after being grossly underpaid on his current contract.
He wasn't underpaid as much as he has over-performed. He had 3 good seasons on his ELC, and signed an appropriate contract. He just happened to explode in year 5. In hindsight, he should have done a 3 year bridge, and then the monster contract. As it is, his current contract will expire just as the cap is set to sky rocket.
Either way he’s not taking a hometown discount. He will end up being one of the leagues highest paid players in 2 seasons
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

When he signed that contract he was a 21 year old 55 point player. He’s already said multiple times that he isn’t going to gouge the team for every last dollar and would take a discount. I can see them signing him at the end of next year to 8 x 11. 13-15 million is asinine.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 am Whatever happened to the mindset that you didn't need a great goalie to win the Cup? You know, the ones who said you should not spend a ton of cap on a goalie and a good team can survive average goaltending.
Especially if you play a run and gun style...

I had written Vegas off after the first game and said they were slow and lumbering, what a very dumb take!

Mind you when you have a finalist for the Venza in your nets, who would have thought that he would put up a .773 save percentage in an elimination game?

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pietrangelo might have been the best player in this series after Fleury.

UDL, Chef..... your thoughts? :mex:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 am Pietrangelo might have been the best player in this series after Fleury.

I think it was more an indictment of how Colorado was outclassed than how well Petro played. Vancouver completely exposed him 10 months earlier to the point where his team just lets him go for nothing. He really is an average defender

Colorado became a small and soft team that, save for a handful of players, couldn't complete a pass or grt to the net at all.

If only they had a Bo Horvat or Tanner Pearson type they might have fared better
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I guess you have to give Vegas credit but seems to me Colorado choked. Got completely away from their game plan and in the final games, made too many passes. It was there for them all night. Philipp Grubauer was terrible though. Three bad goals breaks backs. That and the goon reappearance leading to the disappearance of Kadri.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:lol: You hitting the glass beak with the Chef? Pietrangelo is still an elite D man.

If not for garbage goaltending by Binnington, that series was a toss up. Marky stood on his head.

One would think Kadri is finished in Colorado. Either they trade him or he goes to Seattle. What a selfish prick. Basically down to a one line team after that selfish play.

Fleury was the difference. Grubauer and the lack of a second line sunk Colorado.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:47 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 am Pietrangelo might have been the best player in this series after Fleury.

I think it was more an indictment of how Colorado was outclassed than how well Petro played. Vancouver completely exposed him 10 months earlier to the point where his team just lets him go for nothing. He really is an average defender

Colorado became a small and soft team that, save for a handful of players, couldn't complete a pass or grt to the net at all.

If only they had a Bo Horvat or Tanner Pearson type they might have fared better
Colorado’s D and goaltending was severely exposed by the Knights. They have flashy offensive like D-men but they are brutally bad defensively. Wasn’t Girard on for all goals against? He’s good offensively but we might as well call him the next Tyson Barrie
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.