2021 NHL Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2021 NHL Playoffs

Post by theman »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 am Sounds like the Canes are pointing out that Tampa was like, $10+ Million over the cap.

Truth or sour grapes?

Does the league address this gaping loophole? Will they slap a Luongo style recapture penalty on teams? (doubt it)
Both, to be honest. But at the same time Tampa didn't break any rules they just manipulated them. That being said, the NHL does need to close that loop hole. Also, didn't Vancouver pull a stunt similar to Tampa when Gillis was GM? Salo missed the first half of the season and then when he returned healthy suddenly Edler needed an operation and went on LTIR?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:20 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 am Sounds like the Canes are pointing out that Tampa was like, $10+ Million over the cap.

Truth or sour grapes?

Does the league address this gaping loophole? Will they slap a Luongo style recapture penalty on teams? (doubt it)
Both, to be honest. But at the same time Tampa didn't break any rules they just manipulated them. That being said, the NHL does need to close that loop hole. Also, didn't Vancouver pull a stunt similar to Tampa when Gillis was GM? Salo missed the first half of the season and then when he returned healthy suddenly Edler needed an operation and went on LTIR?
Last time we manipulated the rules, and the league closed them, they punished us with cap recapture for years...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Truth or sour grapes?

When that happened did we magically avoid being over the salary cap?

Tampa abused the system, and blatantly. There's rumors that Kucherov was healthy enough to return at least a month before the season ended.

Not many guys return to the rink after surgery requiring 5 months of recovery in the type of game-ready form that Kucherov was in for game 1 against Florida. It was pretty obvious that he'd been training at full game capacity for a good while.
Last edited by Meds on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:46 pm

Truth or sour grapes?

Tampa abused the system, and blatantly. There's rumors that Kucherov was healthy enough to return at least a month before the season ended.
Considering we're about to send Loui on LTIR for being perma-fried, now is not a good time to go digging into LTIR injuries :lol:

But honestly, they let the Hawks do it for Hossa due to a bad rash, nothing's going to happen to the Lightning.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Truth or sour grapes?

Considering we're about to send Loui on LTIR for being perma-fried, now is not a good time to go digging into LTIR injuries :lol:

But honestly, they let the Hawks do it for Hossa due to a bad rash, nothing's going to happen to the Lightning.
The difference is that Hossa never returned to the NHL and Chicago was never quite the same without him.

Tampa basically took the SC winning roster and boosted it for the next playoff run without having to consider cap hit at all.....getting one of the 5 best players in the NHL back for the entire playoffs after he magically misses the entire season? No way. Most teams are chomping at the bit to get their injured star into the mix for at least a couple of games to avoid them coming in cold in the post-season.....and yet.....

I'm with Carolina.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Truth or sour grapes?

Not many guys return to the rink after surgery requiring 5 months of recovery in the type of game-ready form that Kucherov was in for game 1 against Florida. It was pretty obvious that he'd been training at full game capacity for a good while.
To your first point, can't remember how over the Canucks were but I do recall people saying the Canucks were manipulating the LTIR to remain cap compliant. Was it as blatant as what Tampa did? Honestly I am not sure.

Agree Tampa abused the system and the loophole should be closed, but as of now it isn't. As much as I would like to see Tampa get penalized for it, they won't.

Yes he could have come back earlier, especially when he started practicing with the team. That is when the NHL should have done something.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Truth or sour grapes?

To your first point, can't remember how over the Canucks were but I do recall people saying the Canucks were manipulating the LTIR to remain cap compliant. Was it as blatant as what Tampa did? Honestly I am not sure.

Agree Tampa abused the system and the loophole should be closed, but as of now it isn't. As much as I would like to see Tampa get penalized for it, they won't.

Yes he could have come back earlier, especially when he started practicing with the team. That is when the NHL should have done something.
The season you're thinking of was 2010-2011 where Salo tore his Achilles tendon just before the season started and needed 3-4 months of recovery after surgery. The Canucks were facing a cap crunch upon his return but Edler herniated a disc in his back and required immediate surgery. It was a blow to the team as at that point Edler was playing so well he could have been considered for a Norris trophy nomination. So no, there was no manipulation.

The Luongo recapture continues to be complete bullshit. The Board of Governors approved his contract. Having Burke, the GM of the team caught tampering with the Sedins write up the retroactive recapture penalty was Bettman spitting in the eye of Canucks fans. When you look at teams who circumvented salary caps, Jeremy Jacobs and the Bruins went and circumvented the rookie salary cap in 1997 with Thorton and Samsonov and Bettman was too chickenshit to do anything to Jacobs' team. Don't expect anything to happen to Tampa because the owner of the Lightning is Jacob's money launderer, ahem trust fund manager whom Jacobs personally brought into own the Lightning.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

This is one of the best series I think I have ever seen.

Wow.
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Not looking good for Sakic. The Avs started their rebuild 12 years ago in 2009.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

C'mon Colorado, Lets bury a few.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:47 pm Not looking good for Sakic. The Avs started their rebuild 12 years ago in 2009.
Fortunately Joe's job is safe - and it always works out when a team is run by a former star player, just ask Kevin Lowe!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Is this ever an entertaining game
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I don’t trust the AVs goalies to hold a lead. Reminds me of the West Coast Express Canuck teams.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:12 pm I don’t trust the AVs goalies to hold a lead. Reminds me of the West Coast Express Canuck teams.
They're really struggling maintaining control of pucks under this pressure. Makes you appreciate how Van played these guys in the bubble more
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

POP
____
Try to focus on someday.