2021 NHL Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 NHL Playoffs

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:09 pmStoned
Getting stoned is fun
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:09 pmStoned
That's okay Ratski, everyone falls off the wagon from time to time.

Everyone must get Stoned.

I want a Game 7 between these two.

With sudden death overtime!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Game seven. Third overtime period. Ryan Reaves standing behind his own net with the puck waiting to make a pass. Tries to make that pass. Goes off his own goalie and into the net. All is right with the world.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Geez, not looking good for MacKinnon and co.

Will Jenius Joe ever get past the second round?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:17 pm Geez, not looking good for MacKinnon and co.

Doyle can’t be too happy with how this is going for Joe
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:22 am
ESQ wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:17 pm Geez, not looking good for MacKinnon and co.

I’m jealous. The Avs have a great young squad with a shitload of organizational depth, and are a top 5 team in the league that will be very good for a while. Much like the Hurricanes, they had to play a powerhouse in the second round. These things happen. Someone has to lose. One bounce and it’s 3-2 Avs in the series.

Doesn’t take anything away from the excellent job Joe has done in Denver.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:48 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:22 am

I’m jealous. The Avs have a great young squad with a shitload of organizational depth, and are a top 5 team in the league that will be very good for a while. Much like the Hurricanes, they had to play a powerhouse in the second round. These things happen. Someone has to lose. One bounce and it’s 3-2 Avs in the series.

Doesn’t take anything away from the excellent job Joe has done in Denver.
You figure the Avs s are to this generation Canucks team what the Blackhawks were to the last one?

- Will take the entire contender window to get one “slay the dragon” consolation win that turned into one run with a Boston beat down ordered up for home delivery?

That’s depressing
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

ukcanuck wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:03 am
You figure the Avs s are to this generation Canucks team what the Blackhawks were to the last one?

- Will take the entire contender window to get one “slay the dragon” consolation win that turned into one run with a Boston beat down ordered up for home delivery?

That’s depressing
I think the better comparison is the Avs are 09-11 Canucks, loaded but never getting past the second round. They've been eliminated by two inferior teams, though unlike the canucks those teams didn't go on to win...and in fact both went into the toilet after beating the Avs.

The Canucks *had to go through the Hawks, but these Canucks can just wait for any other WC team to eliminate them in the 2nd round. The WC path to the final does not run though Denver,IMO.

Plus in 2 years MacKinnon is going to pitt to help Crosby get one last Cup.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Canucks best players from 09-11 were 26-31. They had a very short window. The Avs window just opened and their top players other than Gabe who will probably walk, are 21-26. Not similar at all, not to mention Vancouver had no Girard let alone a Makar. Byram still coming. Nate and Rantanen are better and way younger than the twins.

Nate would be an idiot to leave there in two years and chase a cup with a 37 year old Sid and 38 year old Geno.

Vegas is a top team in the league. The way the playoffs have shook down, two of the best four teams in the league will be done in round 2. Carolina and one of Colorado/Vegas. Meanwhile the Habs won an AHL caliber division to get to the final 4.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Joe’s cap is gonna change after this summer (Makar), unless he lets Landeskog walk who should be able to fetch $7-$8 million this summer.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Islander fans are pumped. Looks great to see. Good anthem singer. :whistle:
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:12 pm Joe’s cap is gonna change after this summer (Makar), unless he lets Landeskog walk who should be able to fetch $7-$8 million this summer.
I can see him letting Landeskog test the market, the guy has put up 0.9ppg over the past 4 seasons, and plays a beast of a role as a power forward and team captain. He's not coming in for less than $8M unless he takes a serious hometown discount. Joe is savvy, and he just gave Rantanen a new $9.25M contract this season, which iirc was not an easy negotiation. Nate has 2 years left after this one, and his next deal is going to be heavy. No doubt his agent will be coming in with "back pay" in mind. If Auston "I've Never Won Anything" Matthews is getting $11.6M, then you know that MacKinnon will be getting at least that.....his career playoff numbers are insane, and if the Avs do manage to get to the finals in the next couple years, well, let's assume that Nate's value continues to climb.

Makar just followed up the Calder win with a Norris nomination.....he should come close to winning that over Hedman, but hey, it's significant.

I can't see him signing for less than $8.5M.

They also have no goaltending on the books next season.

So forecast into 2023....

MacKinnon - $12M
Rantanen - $9.25M
Landeskog - $8M
Makar - $8.5M
Girard - $5M
Toews - $4.1M

That's 57% of your salary cap on 6 players. A top line, half your blueline, and no goaltending.

I'm betting Landeskog walks.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:40 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:12 pm Joe’s cap is gonna change after this summer (Makar), unless he lets Landeskog walk who should be able to fetch $7-$8 million this summer.
I can see him letting Landeskog test the market, the guy has put up 0.9ppg over the past 4 seasons, and plays a beast of a role as a power forward and team captain. He's not coming in for less than $8M unless he takes a serious hometown discount. Joe is savvy, and he just gave Rantanen a new $9.25M contract this season, which iirc was not an easy negotiation. Nate has 2 years left after this one, and his next deal is going to be heavy. No doubt his agent will be coming in with "back pay" in mind. If Auston "I've Never Won Anything" Matthews is getting $11.6M, then you know that MacKinnon will be getting at least that.....his career playoff numbers are insane, and if the Avs do manage to get to the finals in the next couple years, well, let's assume that Nate's value continues to climb.

Makar just followed up the Calder win with a Norris nomination.....he should come close to winning that over Hedman, but hey, it's significant.

I can't see him signing for less than $8.5M.

They also have no goaltending on the books next season.

So forecast into 2023....

MacKinnon - $12M
Rantanen - $9.25M
Landeskog - $8M
Makar - $8.5M
Girard - $5M
Toews - $4.1M

That's 57% of your salary cap on 6 players. A top line, half your blueline, and no goaltending.

I'm betting Landeskog walks.
Good post but it's a coupla years til 2023.

I think they sign Landy and figure out if they need to trade one of those guys in 2 years.

We should keep in mind, 57% yes, but those are 6 HUGE stars we're talking about.

Maybe not by 2023, but maybe by then there's talk of the cap rising in 2024... so they tough it out for a year?

Also, they do have goaltender Pavel Francouz on the books next year, supposed to be good to go (he's good!)

I'm wondering if they're waiting til after the X-draft to re-sign Grubauer...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Bowen Byram likely shoves one of Girard or Toews out the door for futures. The cycle of life. Joe has got himself a plethora of young talent. No shame if they lose to the Knights. With the playoff structure this year two of the top 4 teams were getting bounced in round 2.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hey Shanny, great job choosing Dumbass over Louie the Lam!

Hey Dumbass, great job signing Pajama Boy!

____
Try to focus on someday.