Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tryamkin signed a 3 year in the K. I highly doubt he ever wants to leave the motherland
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 am
I'd love to know what the actual numbers were, but thanks to Jimmy B's cap management I know that what the Canucks could guarantee Tryamkin is probably not nearly what his value is.
What do you mean? Canucks could have offered $5/6 mil, or at least had the cap space to do so. Is that what you think Tryamkin's value is?

I'm reading he was offered an appropriate show-me deal, but wanted legit top-4 money.

Just because you "can" doesn't always mean you "should".

With escrow taking 20%, taxes taking 50% of what's remaining, $5 mil nhl salary equals $2 million khl salary in after-tax dollars, not hard to imagine Tree got more than $2 mil to stay in Russia.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 am Tryamkin signed a 3 year in the K. I highly doubt he ever wants to leave the motherland
2 year deal but yeah, he'll be firmly rooted in Russia/KHL now, teams will probably keep giving him 2-3 year contracts from here on out.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I am disappointed. He is an impatient man. He could have waited until the season is done and we knew what type of cap we were looking at, including a lower cap for Edler perhaps. Not offering him more had more to do with just cap crunch, but also that he needs to earn his reward. He bolted once and there is the risk he would have bolted again. He obviously values his sense of worth over playing in the NHL. I wish him good luck.

Its too bad his time here was so horrible for him. He could have helped the team but honestly would anyone here be happy if Benning had signed him to a 2 year 6 million per contract? But OK, let's assume it was a cap fuck up. Feeds the narrative. This is more about impatience and entitlment.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tryamkin is a loser. Stay over there you gigantic pussy. If anything he was afraid to come over and get punched in the snout by Jamie Benn.

Hopefully puts an end to the guzzlers humping each other’s legs in anticipation of his return. Most overhyped Canucks property ever. Can’t call him a prospect anymore.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am
ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 am Napkin done in Vancouver. Maybe he did only scratch Jamie Benn's cornea after all...

:look:
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
Nikita Tryamkin has signed in KHL for 2 years.

#Canuck tried to re-sign him but the 2 sides could not agree to terms.

After 2 years, Tryamkin is no longer VAN property.
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

That is TOOOO funny.

So much for the Benning Gobbler squad's great Russian saviour of the blueline!

I'd love to know what the actual numbers were, but thanks to Jimmy B's cap management I know that what the Canucks could guarantee Tryamkin is probably not nearly what his value is.

Oh my oh my how these things are coming home to roost the last 10 months or so.

I guess it's focus on 5 years from now again hey Doc?
Shouldn’t pin this on Benning or his gobblers

I doubt that it was the Canucks couldn’t afford the cap space if napkin could walk the walk, but clearly he cannot. The kind of heart and ego it takes to win a Stanley cup and put your name next to the game’s greats would never accept a career in the second best hockey league in the world.
It's well known that Jim is in tight with the upcoming contract extensions for Pettersson and Hughes. He just signed Demko to a nice fat paycheque, which means he's committed $9.3M to the goaltending alone for another season. Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen, and Luongo's recapture add up to $15.5M in relatively dead space. He only has 2 defensemen under contract for next season, and really you can probably say 3 because it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to re-sign Hughes (just don't know how much). However that still leaves 3, and one of them is going to have to be a top-4 guy which is looking like a minimum $6M expense these days.....I mean Myers plays the minutes, but his performance often leaves one thinking he's an elite #5, so you aren't paying a better player less than him.

The key was that his agent said that the Canucks told them what Vancouver was able to commit to TODAY.....and that number can't be very high because there is too much cap uncertainty in Vancity right now. Elmer can't risk not having the space for Pettersson and Hughes because he overspent on something else. Tree wanted a guarantee and didn't want to wait and see if more was available later.
All details. Tryamkin is a mixed bag at best, IF he was running away with the K and looked like the second coming, I’m comfortable Benning and the owner could cough it up one way or another.

The truth is the guy ran back then and has balked at returning twice- for me it’s, see ya have a nice life and nothing sticks to Benning in my book.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:19 am Tryamkin is a loser. Stay over there you gigantic pussy. If anything he was afraid to come over and get punched in the snout by Jamie Benn.

Hopefully puts an end to the guzzlers humping each other’s legs in anticipation of his return. Most overhyped Canucks property ever. Can’t call him a prospect anymore.
Wonder if trynapkin thinks he can get more from another GM in 2 years?

Hope that’s not his agent’s advice
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:21 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:19 am Tryamkin is a loser. Stay over there you gigantic pussy. If anything he was afraid to come over and get punched in the snout by Jamie Benn.

Wonder if trynapkin thinks he can get more from another GM in 2 years?

Hope that’s not his agent’s advice
It's true that he would have better leverage, right now he had none. The Canucks own his NHL rights, so they can basically offer him a contract and tell him that he can player here or the KHL.

Bottom line is that he's a very big, strong, player who can actually skate.....there are more than a few GM's that would throw too much money at him based on that.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:12 am I am disappointed. He is an impatient man. He could have waited until the season is done and we knew what type of cap we were looking at, including a lower cap for Edler perhaps. Not offering him more had more to do with just cap crunch, but also that he needs to earn his reward. He bolted once and there is the risk he would have bolted again. He obviously values his sense of worth over playing in the NHL. I wish him good luck.

Its too bad his time here was so horrible for him. He could have helped the team but honestly would anyone here be happy if Benning had signed him to a 2 year 6 million per contract? But OK, let's assume it was a cap fuck up. Feeds the narrative. This is more about impatience and entitlment.
I think it's safe to say that there are multiple things that are wrong with this team that stem from poor contracts that have wasted valuable cap. The only one of those cap impacts that's not on Benning is the Luongo recapture.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One wonders if Tryamkin planned on staying in the KHL anyways, just was using the Canucks to get a quicker deal with his KHL team Avtomobilist.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Two more years in the KHL pushes him close to 30 in Doyle years doesn’t it? I think it’s safe to say that Tryamkin isn’t in a hurry to play in the NHL, if he was in a hurry it would’ve been a one year contract he would have signed instead of two. To be honest him and his agent most likely used the Canuck negotiation as leverage to get a better deal in the KHL. How about accepting the fact that him and his wife prefer to be at home in Russia. It was certainly that way when they were out here as there unhappiness away from home was no secret

Let’s be honest here, this city would not have accepted an overpayment of top 4 money spent on Tryamkin which was what he wanted
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 pm One wonders if Tryamkin planned on staying in the KHL anyways, just was using the Canucks to get a quicker deal with his KHL team Avtomobilist.
I wonder this as well, used the canuck number as leverage. I’m sure jim floated his name around with other gm’s to see if they wanted to take flyer on him for a late round pick, but the reality is no team will want to commit more than 1-1.5 for a somewhat unknown dman. When a guy like hamonic is making that hard to justify 2+ that I’m sure Nikita wanted. I still don’t get why he wouldn’t have taken a contract like that got the playing time then moved on next free agency if he showed he can be a top 4 guy.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am
ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 am Napkin done in Vancouver. Maybe he did only scratch Jamie Benn's cornea after all...

:look:
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
Nikita Tryamkin has signed in KHL for 2 years.

#Canuck tried to re-sign him but the 2 sides could not agree to terms.

After 2 years, Tryamkin is no longer VAN property.
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

That is TOOOO funny.

So much for the Benning Gobbler squad's great Russian saviour of the blueline!

Oh my oh my how these things are coming home to roost the last 10 months or so.

I guess it's focus on 5 years from now again hey Doc?
Shouldn’t pin this on Benning or his gobblers

I doubt that it was the Canucks couldn’t afford the cap space if napkin could walk the walk, but clearly he cannot. The kind of heart and ego it takes to win a Stanley cup and put your name next to the game’s greats would never accept a career in the second best hockey league in the world.
It's well known that Jim is in tight with the upcoming contract extensions for Pettersson and Hughes.
He has plenty of room for those extensions and has said so himself...

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am He just signed Demko to a nice fat paycheque
Surely you're not criticizing that contract?

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am , which means he's committed $9.3M to the goaltending alone for another season.
If the Holtby contract is too much to bear you buy him out for a $500K cap-hit next season.

($1.9M hit the next year, but Roussel/Beagle/Eriksson contracts will be gone)

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen, and Luongo's recapture add up to $15.5M in relatively dead space.
Virtanen is an easy buyout next year (if you can't trade him) with just a $50K cap-hit = subtract $2.5M from your silly "dead space" number.

($500K hit the next year, but Roussel/Beagle/Eriksson contracts will be gone)

And how the hell are Beagle and Roussel "dead space"? :crazy:

They're overpaid for what they give right now, but you don't get to count their entire salaries as "dead space" LMAO.

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am He only has 2 defensemen under contract for next season, and really you can probably say 3 because it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to re-sign Hughes (just don't know how much). However that still leaves 3, and one of them is going to have to be a top-4 guy which is looking like a minimum $6M expense these days.....I mean Myers plays the minutes, but his performance often leaves one thinking he's an elite #5, so you aren't paying a better player less than him.
"You can... probably... say he has 3 defensemen" - Mëds :lol:

Mëds, you counted Hughes' next contract as one of the main reasons for a "cap crunch"

... and then you turned around and didn't count him among your for-sure Dmen.

Can you see how fucked up that is?

I count all the defensemen we need:

Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, Edler, Hamonic, Juolevi, and Rathbone.

Edler comes back on a 35+ contract with performance bonuses.

Games/minutes played would no doubt be big factors in how much he ends up making.

And with 35+ contracts, IF you are right up against the cap with no room to pay the million$ in bonuses

... well that part of the cap-hit can be pushed forward to the next season (when Rooster/Beags/Loui are off the books)

Edler can slide up/down the left side under Hughes, depending on how 6/7 guys OJ and Ratbones perform.

Hamonic has said he wants to re-sign and it's common knowledge there are only a couple of other teams he'd play for.

I'm thinking Benning knows exactly what it will cost to re-sign him and wasn't willing to pay Tryamkin more than that.

I've always thought it would be ONE of Hamonic or Tryamkin.

(well after Hammy got it together after stumbling out of the gate)

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am The key was that his agent said that the Canucks told them what Vancouver was able to commit to TODAY.....and that number can't be very high because there is too much cap uncertainty in Vancity right now. Elmer can't risk not having the space for Pettersson and Hughes because he overspent on something else. Tree wanted a guarantee and didn't want to wait and see if more was available later.
Nice job of working out a theory that just so happens to fit your "Stupid Benning" agenda.

I must say though, you do come off as some combination of a troll and Chicken Little.

Work on that would ya pal? 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am The problem is that everyone who wanted him to come back here were looking at him as a cheap option to patch up the top-4 while contracts fell off the book.
Strawman Alert: Literally NO ONE penciled Tryamkin into the top 4.

(I'll wait while you check the archives) :mrgreen:

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am Someone needs to hire Elmer a capologist.
Seriously bro, you're the last guy who should be da judge of dat dere! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 am The way the guzzlers have been going on about him, he was Zdeno Chara, Larry Robinson and Scott Stevens rolled into one.
Yeahno, but someone compared him to Frankenstein. :D

Vin + Mëds = Strawmen Я Us.
____
Try to focus on someday.