Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP
Posts: 21021
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tryamkin signed a 3 year in the K. I highly doubt he ever wants to leave the motherland
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by ESQ »

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 am
I'd love to know what the actual numbers were, but thanks to Jimmy B's cap management I know that what the Canucks could guarantee Tryamkin is probably not nearly what his value is.
What do you mean? Canucks could have offered $5/6 mil, or at least had the cap space to do so. Is that what you think Tryamkin's value is?

I'm reading he was offered an appropriate show-me deal, but wanted legit top-4 money.

Just because you "can" doesn't always mean you "should".

With escrow taking 20%, taxes taking 50% of what's remaining, $5 mil nhl salary equals $2 million khl salary in after-tax dollars, not hard to imagine Tree got more than $2 mil to stay in Russia.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12694
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 am Tryamkin signed a 3 year in the K. I highly doubt he ever wants to leave the motherland
2 year deal but yeah, he'll be firmly rooted in Russia/KHL now, teams will probably keep giving him 2-3 year contracts from here on out.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16361
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Hockey Widow »

I am disappointed. He is an impatient man. He could have waited until the season is done and we knew what type of cap we were looking at, including a lower cap for Edler perhaps. Not offering him more had more to do with just cap crunch, but also that he needs to earn his reward. He bolted once and there is the risk he would have bolted again. He obviously values his sense of worth over playing in the NHL. I wish him good luck.

Its too bad his time here was so horrible for him. He could have helped the team but honestly would anyone here be happy if Benning had signed him to a 2 year 6 million per contract? But OK, let's assume it was a cap fuck up. Feeds the narrative. This is more about impatience and entitlment.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22454
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Vin Tanner »

Tryamkin is a loser. Stay over there you gigantic pussy. If anything he was afraid to come over and get punched in the snout by Jamie Benn.

Hopefully puts an end to the guzzlers humping each other’s legs in anticipation of his return. Most overhyped Canucks property ever. Can’t call him a prospect anymore.
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
User avatar
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4334
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by ukcanuck »

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am
ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am
Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 am Napkin done in Vancouver. Maybe he did only scratch Jamie Benn's cornea after all...

:look:
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
Nikita Tryamkin has signed in KHL for 2 years.

#Canuck tried to re-sign him but the 2 sides could not agree to terms.

After 2 years, Tryamkin is no longer VAN property.
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

That is TOOOO funny.

So much for the Benning Gobbler squad's great Russian saviour of the blueline!

I'd love to know what the actual numbers were, but thanks to Jimmy B's cap management I know that what the Canucks could guarantee Tryamkin is probably not nearly what his value is.

Oh my oh my how these things are coming home to roost the last 10 months or so.

I guess it's focus on 5 years from now again hey Doc?
Shouldn’t pin this on Benning or his gobblers

I doubt that it was the Canucks couldn’t afford the cap space if napkin could walk the walk, but clearly he cannot. The kind of heart and ego it takes to win a Stanley cup and put your name next to the game’s greats would never accept a career in the second best hockey league in the world.
It's well known that Jim is in tight with the upcoming contract extensions for Pettersson and Hughes. He just signed Demko to a nice fat paycheque, which means he's committed $9.3M to the goaltending alone for another season. Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen, and Luongo's recapture add up to $15.5M in relatively dead space. He only has 2 defensemen under contract for next season, and really you can probably say 3 because it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to re-sign Hughes (just don't know how much). However that still leaves 3, and one of them is going to have to be a top-4 guy which is looking like a minimum $6M expense these days.....I mean Myers plays the minutes, but his performance often leaves one thinking he's an elite #5, so you aren't paying a better player less than him.

The key was that his agent said that the Canucks told them what Vancouver was able to commit to TODAY.....and that number can't be very high because there is too much cap uncertainty in Vancity right now. Elmer can't risk not having the space for Pettersson and Hughes because he overspent on something else. Tree wanted a guarantee and didn't want to wait and see if more was available later.
All details. Tryamkin is a mixed bag at best, IF he was running away with the K and looked like the second coming, I’m comfortable Benning and the owner could cough it up one way or another.

The truth is the guy ran back then and has balked at returning twice- for me it’s, see ya have a nice life and nothing sticks to Benning in my book.
User avatar
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4334
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by ukcanuck »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:19 am Tryamkin is a loser. Stay over there you gigantic pussy. If anything he was afraid to come over and get punched in the snout by Jamie Benn.

Hopefully puts an end to the guzzlers humping each other’s legs in anticipation of his return. Most overhyped Canucks property ever. Can’t call him a prospect anymore.
Wonder if trynapkin thinks he can get more from another GM in 2 years?

Hope that’s not his agent’s advice
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8916
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:21 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:19 am Tryamkin is a loser. Stay over there you gigantic pussy. If anything he was afraid to come over and get punched in the snout by Jamie Benn.

Hopefully puts an end to the guzzlers humping each other’s legs in anticipation of his return. Most overhyped Canucks property ever. Can’t call him a prospect anymore.
Wonder if trynapkin thinks he can get more from another GM in 2 years?

Hope that’s not his agent’s advice
It's true that he would have better leverage, right now he had none. The Canucks own his NHL rights, so they can basically offer him a contract and tell him that he can player here or the KHL.

Bottom line is that he's a very big, strong, player who can actually skate.....there are more than a few GM's that would throw too much money at him based on that.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8916
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:12 am I am disappointed. He is an impatient man. He could have waited until the season is done and we knew what type of cap we were looking at, including a lower cap for Edler perhaps. Not offering him more had more to do with just cap crunch, but also that he needs to earn his reward. He bolted once and there is the risk he would have bolted again. He obviously values his sense of worth over playing in the NHL. I wish him good luck.

Its too bad his time here was so horrible for him. He could have helped the team but honestly would anyone here be happy if Benning had signed him to a 2 year 6 million per contract? But OK, let's assume it was a cap fuck up. Feeds the narrative. This is more about impatience and entitlment.
I think it's safe to say that there are multiple things that are wrong with this team that stem from poor contracts that have wasted valuable cap. The only one of those cap impacts that's not on Benning is the Luongo recapture.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12694
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by SKYO »

One wonders if Tryamkin planned on staying in the KHL anyways, just was using the Canucks to get a quicker deal with his KHL team Avtomobilist.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP
Posts: 21021
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Two more years in the KHL pushes him close to 30 in Doyle years doesn’t it? I think it’s safe to say that Tryamkin isn’t in a hurry to play in the NHL, if he was in a hurry it would’ve been a one year contract he would have signed instead of two. To be honest him and his agent most likely used the Canuck negotiation as leverage to get a better deal in the KHL. How about accepting the fact that him and his wife prefer to be at home in Russia. It was certainly that way when they were out here as there unhappiness away from home was no secret

Let’s be honest here, this city would not have accepted an overpayment of top 4 money spent on Tryamkin which was what he wanted
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 pm One wonders if Tryamkin planned on staying in the KHL anyways, just was using the Canucks to get a quicker deal with his KHL team Avtomobilist.
I wonder this as well, used the canuck number as leverage. I’m sure jim floated his name around with other gm’s to see if they wanted to take flyer on him for a late round pick, but the reality is no team will want to commit more than 1-1.5 for a somewhat unknown dman. When a guy like hamonic is making that hard to justify 2+ that I’m sure Nikita wanted. I still don’t get why he wouldn’t have taken a contract like that got the playing time then moved on next free agency if he showed he can be a top 4 guy.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 30352
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Strangelove »

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am
ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am
Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 am Napkin done in Vancouver. Maybe he did only scratch Jamie Benn's cornea after all...

:look:
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
Nikita Tryamkin has signed in KHL for 2 years.

#Canuck tried to re-sign him but the 2 sides could not agree to terms.

After 2 years, Tryamkin is no longer VAN property.
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

That is TOOOO funny.

So much for the Benning Gobbler squad's great Russian saviour of the blueline!

I'd love to know what the actual numbers were, but thanks to Jimmy B's cap management I know that what the Canucks could guarantee Tryamkin is probably not nearly what his value is.

Oh my oh my how these things are coming home to roost the last 10 months or so.

I guess it's focus on 5 years from now again hey Doc?
Shouldn’t pin this on Benning or his gobblers

I doubt that it was the Canucks couldn’t afford the cap space if napkin could walk the walk, but clearly he cannot. The kind of heart and ego it takes to win a Stanley cup and put your name next to the game’s greats would never accept a career in the second best hockey league in the world.
It's well known that Jim is in tight with the upcoming contract extensions for Pettersson and Hughes.
He has plenty of room for those extensions and has said so himself...

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am He just signed Demko to a nice fat paycheque
Surely you're not criticizing that contract?

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am , which means he's committed $9.3M to the goaltending alone for another season.
If the Holtby contract is too much to bear you buy him out for a $500K cap-hit next season.

($1.9M hit the next year, but Roussel/Beagle/Eriksson contracts will be gone)

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen, and Luongo's recapture add up to $15.5M in relatively dead space.
Virtanen is an easy buyout next year (if you can't trade him) with just a $50K cap-hit = subtract $2.5M from your silly "dead space" number.

($500K hit the next year, but Roussel/Beagle/Eriksson contracts will be gone)

And how the hell are Beagle and Roussel "dead space"? :crazy:

They're overpaid for what they give right now, but you don't get to count their entire salaries as "dead space" LMAO.

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am He only has 2 defensemen under contract for next season, and really you can probably say 3 because it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to re-sign Hughes (just don't know how much). However that still leaves 3, and one of them is going to have to be a top-4 guy which is looking like a minimum $6M expense these days.....I mean Myers plays the minutes, but his performance often leaves one thinking he's an elite #5, so you aren't paying a better player less than him.
"You can... probably... say he has 3 defensemen" - Meds :lol:

Meds, you counted Hughes' next contract as one of the main reasons for a "cap crunch"

... and then you turned around and didn't count him among your for-sure Dmen.

Can you see how fucked up that is?

I count all the defensemen we need:

Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, Edler, Hamonic, Juolevi, and Rathbone.

Edler comes back on a 35+ contract with performance bonuses.

Games/minutes played would no doubt be big factors in how much he ends up making.

And with 35+ contracts, IF you are right up against the cap with no room to pay the million$ in bonuses

... well that part of the cap-hit can be pushed forward to the next season (when Rooster/Beags/Loui are off the books)

Edler can slide up/down the left side under Hughes, depending on how 6/7 guys OJ and Ratbones perform.

Hamonic has said he wants to re-sign and it's common knowledge there are only a couple of other teams he'd play for.

I'm thinking Benning knows exactly what it will cost to re-sign him and wasn't willing to pay Tryamkin more than that.

I've always thought it would be ONE of Hamonic or Tryamkin.

(well after Hammy got it together after stumbling out of the gate)

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am The key was that his agent said that the Canucks told them what Vancouver was able to commit to TODAY.....and that number can't be very high because there is too much cap uncertainty in Vancity right now. Elmer can't risk not having the space for Pettersson and Hughes because he overspent on something else. Tree wanted a guarantee and didn't want to wait and see if more was available later.
Nice job of working out a theory that just so happens to fit your "Stupid Benning" agenda.

I must say though, you do come off as some combination of a troll and Chicken Little.

Work on that would ya pal? 8-)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 30352
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Strangelove »

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am The problem is that everyone who wanted him to come back here were looking at him as a cheap option to patch up the top-4 while contracts fell off the book.
Strawman Alert: Literally NO ONE penciled Tryamkin into the top 4.

(I'll wait while you check the archives) :mrgreen:

Meds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am Someone needs to hire Elmer a capologist.
Seriously bro, you're the last guy who should be da judge of dat dere! :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 30352
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 am The way the guzzlers have been going on about him, he was Zdeno Chara, Larry Robinson and Scott Stevens rolled into one.
Yeahno, but someone compared him to Frankenstein. :D

Vin + Meds = Strawmen Я Us.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Post Reply