The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Chef Boi RD »

leaves ain’t done selling futures for vets. They must. Dubas knows full well that the window to win the cup is small. The sellers should be mining the leaves dwindling prospect pool, Dubas is open for business
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 pm
BigTuna wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:29 pm Big acquisition for the playoffs. Nice cap hit and signed through next season.
D got better without moving Nylander, Kapanen, Sandin. Liljegren.
It's a decent trade for your team, Tuna. Your D gets better.
You will have to move at least one, maybe two players you don't want to before next year though.
The cap is going up but not enough to cover your collection.
Team discounts are more of an illusion then a reality and cups can't be guaranteed.
Toronto will keep everyone except Gardiner. All RFAs will be signed. Book it.
Tampa and Winnipeg have bigger cap issues.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:23 am Leaves ain’t done selling futures for vets. They must. Dubas knows full well that the window to win the cup is small. The sellers should be mining the Leaves dwindling prospect pool, Dubas is open for business
Marner and Matthews are already 21. Time to go for it before they fall off by 22.

Be honest, did you think there was anyway they'd add a top 4 D without trading a Sandin, Liljegren, Kapanen?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hate to say it but jake muslim is good pickup. The 1st is a late pick and the other pieces that went for him are not top talent prospects.
Gardiner and Hainsey likely on the block now to clear room for another veteran winger for the playoffs
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Toronto should be putting the full court press on for Tanev. They get him they have a legitimate shot. They are still one top 4 d man short.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

They should take out an insurance policy for andersen. He has a well documented history of playoff suckage...a ryan miller type would be gold
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am Hate to say it but jake muslim is good pickup. The 1st is a late pick and the other pieces that went for him are not top talent prospects.
Well twas a nice try, but Muzzin is the wrong guy in my opinion (they should have got a right-shooting dee)

Despite what some are saying out there, Muzz has never played the right-side.

Right now only one of their starting 6 dee shoots right, and he sucks severely (Zaitsev).

You probably don't know much about the prospects given up, but of course yours truly follows these things closely.

Grundstrom was drafted in the 2nd round in 2016 and has been developing very well.

He projects as a solid gritty top 6 winger... NHL ready by next season.

I had him down as Leaves' best prospect with a possibility he gets passed by Sandin in a couple of years.

Durzi was drafted just 7 months ago in the 2nd round, so it's too early to predict how he might turn out

... but is a good sized right-shot dee who is offensively gifted.

The 1st-rounder the Leaves gave up could be higher than you think.

IF Leaves make the playoffs, they likely get swept by Boston or Tampa, making that pick what... 15th - 19th?

And if the Leaves pick up a few injuries, go 18-wheels off the cliff, and miss the playoffs

... well that pick could be #1 overall! :mrgreen:

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home/fa ... s-angeles/

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am Gardiner and Hainsey likely on the block now to clear room for another veteran winger for the playoffs
Not likely because the Leaves will need the depth for the stretch.

Although I could see them trading pending-UFA Gards for a similar pending-UFA right-shooting dee.

(I haven't checked to see what's out there)

That way Muzzin could play on the left-side of the second-pairing where he belongs.

(and the new guy could be partnered with Rielly)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 am They should take out an insurance policy for andersen. He has a well documented history of playoff suckage...a ryan miller type would be gold
Not to mention his history of concussions. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am Toronto will keep everyone except Gardiner. All RFAs will be signed. Book it.
You always say things like this without doing the math.

Leaves will have to let Gardiner and Hainsey walk away for nothing.

Also Nylander/Marleau will have to be traded as a cap dump.

No team in the league has a cap crunch anywhere near as bad as the Leaves next season...
____
Try to focus on someday.
isle_nuck
AHL Prospect

Post by isle_nuck »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am
BigTuna wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:29 pm Big acquisition for the playoffs. Nice cap hit and signed through next season.
You will have to move at least one, maybe two players you don't want to before next year though.
Team discounts are more of an illusion then a reality and cups can't be guaranteed.
Book it? Be better Tuna. Show your work.

Maybe something like the attached?

So, how exactly does your book describe how all the RFA's are going to come back? If you try to get rid of players, how do you get rid of Zaitsev? Or Marleau? Or do you actually think M&M sign for less than 21 million combined?

You take a lot of deserved shit on this board - maybe if you could actually provide some actual substance once in a while you'd only be up to your knees in the brown stuff rather than your neck.
Attachments
Leafs....PNG
Leafs....PNG (177.59 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

isle_nuck wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm

So, how exactly does your book describe how all the RFA's are going to come back? If you try to get rid of players, how do you get rid of Zaitsev? Or Marleau? Or do you actually think M&M sign for less than 21 million combined?

You take a lot of deserved shit on this board - maybe if you could actually provide some actual substance once in a while you'd only be up to your knees in the brown stuff rather than your neck.

Amazing that researcher forgot that Horton is counting against the cap and can be put on LTIR, freeing 5.3 million. He counted Horton next season.
Also, 2 players who will be on the roster will be 750K cap hits, Calle Rosen and Trevor Moore. Contracts are already signed.

Trade Connor Brown, insert Trevor Moore, you are better and save 1.5 million alone.

I had to laugh at the "Toronto Cap Is Worse Than A Lot of Fans Think". Jesus, all I ever hear is the leaves are in cap hell daily. Winnipeg and Tampa are in big trouble, but are left alone.

Next time you a legit source, not some wackjob with an agenda.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:31 pm Amazing that researcher forgot that Horton is counting against the cap and can be put on LTIR, freeing 5.3 million. He counted Horton next season.
UMMMMM no... he did not count Horton! :crazy:

WOW

Why don't you post some numbers and show us how all those players could possibly fit under the cap...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Eventually he says; Help me! I've fallen and I can't get up. :oops:
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:02 pm
You probably don't know much about the prospects given up, but of course yours truly follows these things closely.
isle_nuck
AHL Prospect

Post by isle_nuck »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:31 pm
isle_nuck wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm

Amazing that researcher forgot that Horton is counting against the cap and can be put on LTIR, freeing 5.3 million. He counted Horton next season.
Also, 2 players who will be on the roster will be 750K cap hits, Calle Rosen and Trevor Moore. Contracts are already signed.

Trade Connor Brown, insert Trevor Moore, you are better and save 1.5 million alone.

I had to laugh at the "Toronto Cap Is Worse Than A Lot of Fans Think". Jesus, all I ever hear is the Leaves are in cap hell daily. Winnipeg and Tampa are in big trouble, but are left alone.

Next time you a legit source, not some wackjob with an agenda.
Ok Tuna, last time I looked in the mirror I didn't see a wackjob with an agenda, so I decided to repeat the experiment myself, show my work (which I believe is what both Doc and I have asked you to do in just the last hour or so alone) and see what I could find for your beloved in 2019.

Since I don't have an agenda and I truly am just interested in seeing how the leaves aren't in cap hell next year, I traded both Horton (who was in fact gone on the last post) and Zaitsev off for a pick just for sake of clearing them out.

I did as you suggested and added Rosen and Moore to the roster. I left Rosen on his left side as suggested by capfriendly. I don't really know if CF is correct in his placement or if he can slide over to his right side, but we all know how Babcock just loves to makes those kind of adjustments, so I just left him there.

I also raided the Marlies for Bracco, Liljegren and Scott to add in some more cheap, warm bodies, but didn't want to dip too much deeper as if you're looking for a Stanley Cup, I don't know if integrating more than 5 AHL players is the best call. But hey, to each their own if you want more than that.

So, after that I didn't want to dream cast too much more and stopped. There's $9.5 in cap space left according to CF. But, there's also 2 missing forwards and no back up on either the forwards or defence giving the experiment 18 players. I realize that with the Marlies in town the leaves might not always have 22 or 23 guys on the roster, so that could give a bit of a buffer zone, but at this point, I would guess there's 3 players that need to be signed taking them to 21 players.

Finding three guys at about 3 million each shouldn't be too tough I guess. Maybe you get Kapanen, Johnsson and Ozhiganov at that combined 9mil. But are you ok with that kind of roster if there's Stanley Cup aspirations? 5 AHLers and absolutely no depth anywhere, including at goalie. What happens if the leaves are on a road trip and they decided to carry a 22nd (or 23rd) player?

What would you do differently from what I did? Assuming that Horton just disappears, how would you actually get rid of Zaitsev? Knowing how Babcock likes to coach, how do you deal with Rosen on his wrong side? Any dream UFA's? What if the three RFAs I mentioned get more than 9 combined? Be realistic because you know that there are a few fact checkers on this site.
Attachments
Leafs 2019.PNG
Leafs 2019.PNG (104.59 KiB) Viewed 3296 times