Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Picked up a AAA 2" bone in ribreye and am going to do exactly what this dude did to it tonight. Once in a while you have to try making one of these.

God damn cow parts are expensive these days. Over 30 bucks for one chunk of meat
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:09 am Picked up a AAA 2" bone in ribreye and am going to do exactly what this dude did to it tonight. Once in a while you have to try making one of these.

God damn cow parts are expensive these days. Over 30 bucks for one chunk of meat
Do you have the same BBQ with the tower?

Wonder how and if I can do that on my basic propane tank (no laughing, I live in a townhouse)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Its a weber kettle bbq. Best bbq bang for the buck and yes i have one. Cant you roll coal in those places? I'd move before someone told me how to grill

Mutherfuckers!

Oh and yes you can do it in gas as long as you can have an indirect zone to bring it up to 115 before transfering to the heat to sear finish it off
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 pm Its a weber kettle bbq. Best bbq bang for the buck and yes i have one. Cant you roll coal in those places? I'd move before someone told me how to grill

Mutherfuckers!

Oh and yes you can do it in gas as long as you can have an indirect zone to bring it up to 115 before transfering to the heat to sear finish it off
Yes we can have coal but hard to place it in the limited yard we have so I stick with gas.

So if I use my BBQ at lower heat to get the meat at 115, then kick the heat up and sear it. Love the idea of butter/garlic herbs like that.

Does it have to be the same meat or can I go with a different cut? Cannot always find that type of meat but I may be able to pre order.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

2Fingers wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:14 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 pm Its a weber kettle bbq. Best bbq bang for the buck and yes i have one. Cant you roll coal in those places? I'd move before someone told me how to grill

Mutherfuckers!

Yes we can have coal but hard to place it in the limited yard we have so I stick with gas.

So if I use my BBQ at lower heat to get the meat at 115, then kick the heat up and sear it. Love the idea of butter/garlic herbs like that.

Does it have to be the same meat or can I go with a different cut? Cannot always find that type of meat but I may be able to pre order.
Reverse sear is for thick cuts only. If you get under 1 and a half inch then sear direct then finish indirect. The garlic butter and herb would go on right at the end that way
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are several things wrong in that video.

If you want to par cook it, go ahead. That is what most steak houses do so they have a variety of rare to well (heathens should die) done ready to go.

Putting it on a small grate and letting the flames from the burning butter burn the meat makes my heart cringe. The guy should be slowly decapitated with a steak knife. Flames licking at food is never good.

I've been moving away from grill marks and instead getting a flat cast iron grill screaming hot for an even sear. Been thinking of getting a planche, a second chunk of cast iron that you get screaming hot and place on the top of the steak to sear both sides at the same time.

Basting with butter is pretty useless flavour wise. He'd be better served to make an herb butter by refrigerating that butter until soft, shaping into a log and polling in saran before cooling to hard. Herb butters are very traditional. I used to keep several varieties in the freezer ready to use.

Once the steak is done, and it is resting on a rack for 5-10 minutes, put a couple of pads of herb butter on it to melt over it and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Few chunks of Stilton or broad shavings of parmigiana on the steak as it rests is also a go to for us.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:21 pm
2Fingers wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Mutherfuckers!

Reverse sear is for thick cuts only. If you get under 1 and a half inch then sear direct then finish indirect. The garlic butter and herb would go on right at the end that way
The herb butter won't penetrate either way. Instead it will just burn if put on while basting. If I were eating that 2" steak, the blood in the centre may not even be warm enough to coagulate.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Gonna get er going right away here.

I also use the salt flakes over the rock chunks and grind the pep corns fresh.

I used to add the butter while it rests but I'm curious about how this one will turn out. I wont burn the butter like that but searing it til it goes nutty does add a richness to other dishes so...plus the herbs sound good man.

Ill let you know how it goes
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm

I've been moving away from grill marks and instead getting a flat cast iron grill screaming hot for an even sear. Been thinking of getting a planche, a second chunk of cast iron that you get screaming hot and place on the top of the steak to sear both sides at the same time.
Based upon advice from you before I have been doing a top end cut 1.5" to 2" thick, on a stone frying pan at high heat. I use butter to fry it in and slice garlic - not sure if that was your advice. Never thought about making the butter log with herbs and putting it on after I cook the steak.

I think I have only BBQ a steak once in the last year.

I think it will be steak night on Sunday.

Berry man - let us know how it goes
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Ok i chickened out on the butter baste and just used the salt and pepper then washed it with the butter and herbs as it rested.

I have to say it was fuckin amazing. I slayed a 36 oz steak in its entirety minus the bone, I may die but it was worth it
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:42 pm I slayed a 36 oz steak in its entirety minus the bone, I may die but it was worth it
:D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

wouldn't you know it, wife came home with ribeyes, 3/4 inch thick, no marbling. Last time she selected a good piece of meat we got married.

oh well

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 pm wouldn't you know it, wife came home with ribeyes, 3/4 inch thick, no marbling. Last time she selected a good piece of meat we got married.

oh well
lol

My wife never picks meat.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:06 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:42 pm I slayed a 36 oz steak in its entirety minus the bone, I may die but it was worth it
:D
I’m thinking of John Candy in The Great Outdoors :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”