Carbon recapture

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Carbon recapture

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

* I always knew of the Byzantine Varangian Guard but I only recently learned that the Varangians actually conquered Caucasian Albania.

I'm kind of a Caucasian Albania nut, so...
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:14 am
Per wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:07 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:51 am By the way Per, since so much of Russia was settled on Finnish land it was only fair that the Russians should have left the Finns with some sort of a land base after all. ;)
St Petersburg was actually built on Swedish soil. They started construction before the peace treaty had been negotiated and signed, so technically it was still Sweden when they started building the city right next to the Swedish fortress Nyenskans which was situated just east of the current city centre.
Yes, and it was in fact your ancestors, the Varangians that actually founded the Rus itself in Novgorod.

No good deed ever goes unpunished it seems...
Yeah, that was a huge mistake by us. :(
Seemed like a good idea at the time to control the water ways down to the Black Sea and more or less get a monopoly on the trade of furs, amber and slaves with Constantinople and Bagdad. But it sure came back to bite us in the ass.

Etymologically the words slave and Slav are the same. We picked up Slavs in eastern Europe and sold them down south. So at some point the word thrall got replaced by "Slav".

You should probably be happy that you borrowed this word from the Swedish slave trade and not the Norse, as the Norwegians picked up most of their slaves on the British isles. It would have really messed up the lyrics of Rule Britannia... "Britons never never never shall be britons!" :lol:

On Iceland the y chromosomes, inherited from father to son, are at least 90% of Norwegian origin while mitrochondial DNA, inherited from mother to child is roughly two thirds Celtic. Wonder why... :roll:
Last edited by Per on Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 am * I always knew of the Byzantine Varangian Guard but I only recently learned that the Varangians actually conquered Caucasian Albania.

Yeah, Harald Hårdråde who would become king of Norway and died at Stamford Bridge in England (apparently football hooliganism was a thing back in 1066 already) fought for the Byzantine empire on Sicily, among other places. Vikings were all over the place.

And later the Normans, who were vikings that had been given a duchy in France granted that they kept all the other vikings away, would conquer both Britain and Sicily.
https://www.wondersofsicily.com/sicily-normans.htm
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:25 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:14 am
Per wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:07 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:51 am By the way Per, since so much of Russia was settled on Finnish land it was only fair that the Russians should have left the Finns with some sort of a land base after all. ;)
St Petersburg was actually built on Swedish soil. They started construction before the peace treaty had been negotiated and signed, so technically it was still Sweden when they started building the city right next to the Swedish fortress Nyenskans which was situated just east of the current city centre.
Yes, and it was in fact your ancestors, the Varangians that actually founded the Rus itself in Novgorod.

No good deed ever goes unpunished it seems...
Yeah, that was a huge mistake by us. :(
Seemed like a good idea at the time to control the water ways down to the Black Sea and more or less get a monopoly on the trade of furs, amber and slaves with Constantinople and Bagdad. But it sure came back to bite us in the ass.

Etymologically the words slave and Slav are the same. We picked up Slavs in eastern Europe and sold them down south. So at some point the word thrall got replaced by "Slav".

You should probably be happy that you borrowed this word from the Swedish slave trade and not the Norse, as the Norwegians picked up most of their slaves on the British isles. It would have really messed up the lyrics of Rule Britannia... "Britons never never never shall be britons!" :lol:

On Iceland the y chromosomes, inherited from father to son, are at least 90% of Norwegian origin while mitrochondial DNA, inherited from mother to child is roughly two thirds Celtic. Wonder why... :roll:
The Ottomans did a brisk business slaving in the British Isles as well. Yes, well I'm Welsh by ancestry, you know an actual Briton so I'm well removed from that Viking colony business I think. The 'Britons' you're thinking of aren't actually Britons per se.

The Icelanders though sure do play a mean bagpipe I must say...
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:34 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 am * I always knew of the Byzantine Varangian Guard but I only recently learned that the Varangians actually conquered Caucasian Albania.

Yeah, Harald Hårdråde who would become king of Norway and died at Stamford Bridge in England (apparently football hooliganism was a thing back in 1066 already) fought for the Byzantine empire on Sicily, among other places. Vikings were all over the place.

And later the Normans, who were vikings that had been given a duchy in France granted that they kept all the other vikings away, would conquer both Britain and Sicily.
Yes, the Normans were Danes and they were kind enough to bring the French language to England.
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:36 am
Per wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:34 am

Yes, the Normans were Danes and they were kind enough to bring the French language to England.
Added to the English quirk that animals have Germanic names while alive (cow, calf, sheep, swine, fowl, deer) but French when served at the table (beef, veal, mutton, pork, poultry, venison). The Anglo-Saxons took care of the animals and the Normans ate them.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Per wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:17 am
donlever wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:17 pm Not much point in getting vaxxed if that's the case.
Oh, but there is. Disease spreads much faster in a starving population.
sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/

....the use of irony to mock.....

rhe·tor·i·cal
/rəˈtôrək(ə)l/

.....asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.

...I'm sure those 6 month boosters will be far more readily available than food.

:thumbs:
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'll be put up against the wall for refusing to speak Mandarin.

As for our species, a cosmic event destroys the infrastructure we've become reliant upon and the few remaining lack the knowledge or where withal to survive in a near stone age setting.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

My guess is much of the core group at this here GDHTMB adapts and survives.

...if detonation and radiation don't rape us that is.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

China will never invade and occupy the top consumers of their dollar store plastic junk. It would be economic suicide!
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:19 am China will never invade and occupy the top consumers of their dollar store plastic junk. It would be economic suicide!
Exactly what I was going to say, if China starts any war they lose access to every major economy in the world. Western world won't start a fight because the citizens are addicted to cheap stuff.

Plus China is already slowly taking over the world as they place their top people in important positions in all the countries and if anyone complains you are called a racist.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doo dah, doo dah...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP