Shutting Down The Buffet

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Shutting Down The Buffet

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:55 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:32 pm I've come across mention here of the 70s park gang culture in Vancouver and since there seems to be some interest I thought I would relay my own experiences. Full disclosure: I was not in a 'park gang' per se, but a rather more informal gang of food enthusiasts. Known variously as 'the Two Hundred Club' or 'The Out To Brunch Bunch' out of South Surrey/White Rock, our little band of husky gentlemen became the scourge of owners and managers of every all-you-can-eat buffet style eatery in the region. The very sight of our '68 blue elongated Ford Econoline club van in the parking lot sent chills down the spines of many an unlucky restaurateur.

Indeed, our simple presence limbering up in our matching club comfort-fit 70s addidas athletic suits the parking lot of the Great Wall Chinese Restaurant on 104th Ave in Surrey after having laid waste to the place in two or three earlier 'sessions' was enough to send the owner (a small frail Chinese gentleman) storming into the parking lot with a broom berating us and threatening to call the police and have us arrested. Once we had exhausted all the local haunts we spread our special brand of mayhem throughout the region, even dipping across the border to terrorize buffets in Northwest Washington. Such were the halcyon days of the youthful Megaterio Llamas and this thread is in that special Old Vancouver spirit ;)
:lol:

Did you slay the Drag-one Inn on Hastings?
Quite possibly, likely even but I don't really remember. There were so many of them they all blend together. I do recall us crushing that place on Columbia in New West near the bridge a few times until they eventually called the cops on us. That's when you knew it was time to move on to 'greener pastures' so to speak.

One thing we would do though, if we saw someone at the buffet who looked like he knew his way around a smorgasbord setup, you know, like this wasn't his first rodeo, we would challenge him. Head to head, mano a mano. It be could two on two, three on three etc. We were always up for a showdown and I don't recall us ever losing a challenge match. I even challenged a big ol' gal once that I saw really attacking a stacked plate. I don't think she took it as a compliment ;)
el rey del mambo
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Did you guys ever do a Vegas trip? Land of the epic buffets. Maybe a reunion is order next year?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:54 am Did you guys ever do a Vegas trip? Land of the epic buffets. Maybe a reunion is order next year?
The Golden Corral chocolate wonderfall...i bet they are extinct now that covid has come along
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:48 am
Cornuck wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:54 am Did you guys ever do a Vegas trip? Land of the epic buffets. Maybe a reunion is order next year?
The Golden Corral chocolate wonderfall...i bet they are extinct now that covid has come along
I never got close to that thing BEFORE covid! :D
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Best thread ever!! :D

For some reason it reminded me of this...

____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Cornuck wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:33 pm
You have to earn that right lol. Only the giantist of giant shit lockers make it all the way to the fountain. Its like battling through the bosses in an arcade game
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

At one point there were 3 Lone Star Cafes in the lower mainland. The Canadian franchise was owned by a bunch of ex CFL players.
Good food for the money. The waitresses were scrumptious too.

all gone. :(
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:55 pm .
Best thread ever!! :D

For some reason it reminded me of this...

lol I just watched that show the other night. It never gets old. Two Canadian icons in that movie.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:02 pm
Cornuck wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:33 pm
You have to earn that right lol. Only the giantist of giant shit lockers make it all the way to the fountain. Its like battling through the bosses in an arcade game
When you see kids running their hand through it, double-triple dipping some food through it.... yeah..... I'll just have another steak, thanks.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I don't think this gang will ever ride again, sadly. But you're right, Vegas would be the place for a reunion.

Some of these old boys are no longer with us unfortunately and those of us who remain would be many years past our competitive primes.

I myself would be willing to give it another shot of course. Goes without saying 8-)
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:53 pm
I don't think this gang will ever ride again, sadly. But you're right, Vegas would be the place for a reunion.

Some of these old boys are no longer with us unfortunately and those of us who remain would be many years past our competitive primes.

I myself would be willing to give it another shot of course. Goes without saying 8-)
If youre ever in Calgary hit Wonton King on Barlow Trail.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Swedish Buffet upstairs in the strip mall at 8th and McBride in New West. My folks thought is was a nice family dinner spot. Ugh.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.