We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:34 pm https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/
The physical properties of medical and non-medical facemasks suggest that facemasks are ineffective to block viral particles due to their difference in scales [16], [17], [25]. According to the current knowledge, the virus SARS-CoV-2 has a diameter of 60 nm to 140 nm [nanometers (billionth of a meter)] [16], [17], while medical and non-medical facemasks’ thread diameter ranges from 55 µm to 440 µm [micrometers (one millionth of a meter), which is more than 1000 times larger [25]. Due to the difference in sizes between SARS-CoV-2 diameter and facemasks thread diameter (the virus is 1000 times smaller), SARS-CoV-2 can easily pass through any facemask
Why are these scientific studies never picked up by the media?

The wearing of masks is a farce which only gives folks a false sense of security.

In public, I wear a mask, sure, but behind that mask I wear a grin, it's a clown show folks...
Yah I’ve researched particle size too doc... makes no sense
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Because it is required, I put my mask on as I enter a store and remove it as I exit the store.

Note today from a Spokane friend, her and her husband caught it last month, he died this week. Her message to all of us was to tell our loved ones we love them every chance we get.

Hmmmmmmmmm widows........
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If the virus was only spread separately, then it could pass through a mask. If you have multiple layers, then that helps. If the virus is passed via breath droplets, etc then a mask is a LOT more effective. The particles of saliva from a cough are a lot bigger than a virus on its own.

What you've posted is a "A health hypothesis" - not a study. It's one guy's opinion (Clinical Exercise Physiologist) with footnotes.

Here's a better summary, with links to actual studies.
The bottom line is that any mask that covers the nose and mouth will be of benefit.

“The concept is risk reduction rather than absolute prevention,”
I wear a mask in every public place I go. I'll remove it for the rare times I'm in a restaurant while I eat. Obviously some masks are better than others, but a decent mask is going to give you a better chance of not catching the 'Rona than no mask. Haven't caught it yet, get my 2nd shot on Tuesday, and I'll keep wearing a mask.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I double mask whenever I'm at a place where masks are required. I have an N95 mask on first and then one of those masks they hand out everywhere, on top of the N95 mask. I have also received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine, so I feel fairly safe going out.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 pm If the virus was only spread separately, then it could pass through a mask. If you have multiple layers, then that helps. If the virus is passed via breath droplets, etc then a mask is a LOT more effective. The particles of saliva from a cough are a lot bigger than a virus on its own.

What you've posted is a "A health hypothesis" - not a study. It's one guy's opinion (Clinical Exercise Physiologist) with footnotes.

Here's a better summary, with links to actual studies.
The bottom line is that any mask that covers the nose and mouth will be of benefit.

“The concept is risk reduction rather than absolute prevention,”
I wear a mask in every public place I go. I'll remove it for the rare times I'm in a restaurant while I eat. Obviously some masks are better than others, but a decent mask is going to give you a better chance of not catching the 'Rona than no mask. Haven't caught it yet, get my 2nd shot on Tuesday, and I'll keep wearing a mask.
Oh okay then. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BTW Expat those N95s must be discarded after every 2 hours of use, lifestyles of the rich and famous.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:11 pm

BTW Expat those N95s must be discarded after every 2 hours of use, lifestyles of the rich and famous.
Yep. Or if they get damp or dirty. Anything that can compromise the integrity of the material.

Those simple facemasks don't prevent you from acquiring it though, that's the farce everyone is operating under right now. They slow spread from the infected individual by decreasing the range of expelled droplets which the virus is carried in. If you come in contact with said droplets and continue to breathe through that mask (or even the double mask) the virus will leave the droplet and follow your inhaled air right through the mask.

Kudos to people who wear the mask because they are hoping to not unwittingly spread the critter before they have symptoms.

People who wear simple cloth masks everywhere they go because they think it protects them are living in a fantasy world.

Oh, and for a N95 mask to actually be effective you have to be fit tested for it to confirm a proper seal, there are several types of N95 and they fit differently. If it doesn't seal properly then you are literally breathing the virus in through the side of the mask.

Also important to note that if your mask says KN95 on it, it is not a true N95 mask. Those are Chinese made and our government ordered them when we couldn't get the real thing.....of course the government officials in charge of processing these orders didn't realize the difference between them and fell for the labelling scam.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:52 pm Those simple facemasks don't prevent you from acquiring it though, that's the farce everyone is operating under right now. They slow spread from the infected individual by decreasing the range of expelled droplets which the virus is carried in. If you come in contact with said droplets and continue to breathe through that mask (or even the double mask) the virus will leave the droplet and follow your inhaled air right through the mask.

Kudos to people who wear the mask because they are hoping to not unwittingly spread the critter before they have symptoms.

People who wear simple cloth masks everywhere they go because they think it protects them are living in a fantasy world.
The slogan early in the pandemic was "my mask protects you, your mask protects me" was it not? I recall lots of videos by health workers especially.

I guess people are forgetful, but it's always been about protecting others.

Say it don't spray it. Those people are going to be shunned when this is over 😄
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Maybe it doesnt stop the particulates but it surely reduces the distance an exhaust plume travels somewhat by disrupting the force of the breath ya? It definitely doesnt make it worse
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:37 am Maybe it doesnt stop the particulates but it surely reduces the distance an exhaust plume travels somewhat by disrupting the force of the breath ya? It definitely doesnt make it worse
If it works 20%, it's worth doing. At first, I despised the visual but it has also reminded people to keep their distance. I see the odd person wearing protective eye ware too.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I read somewhere that alberta had exactly zero recorded cases of conventional influenza that required hospitalization this year. It must do something
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 am I read somewhere that alberta had exactly zero recorded cases of conventional influenza that required hospitalization this year. It must do something
Yep -flu cases are WAY down this year - so it might be safe to assume that masks and staying away from people did a lot to help that.
Between October 1, 2020, and April 10, 2021, FluSurv-NET sites in 14 states reported 220 laboratory confirmed influenza hospitalizations for an overall cumulative hospitalization rate of 0.8 per 100,000 population. This is much lower than average for this point in the season and lower than rates for any season since routine data collection began in 2005, including the low severity 2011-12 season. The current rate is one-eighth the rate at this time during the 2011-12 season.
In Doc's video above, I know the presenter is trying to make a point, but who breathes that heavy when they're out shopping?

Personally, I really like this whole social distancing thing.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The best covid filter in the world is the 20 ft wide locked gate down the end of my driveway. It has 4" holes but its amazing how well it works at keeping the kung flu away
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

LOL. I've been using the same one for months. :eh: :?
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

BCExpat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:04 am

LOL. I've been using the same one for months. :eh: :?
They must be discarded ... if you work in a hospital.

For everyone else they're probably still better than a cloth mask even after 6 months.

Personally, I don't hang around people much and when I do it's outdoors. Indoors only with a few close friends.