bitcoin

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: bitcoin

Post by 5thhorseman »

Bitcoin has no intrinsic value. Its only value is what someone else will pay for it. So it's pure speculation.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:36 pm Bitcoin has no intrinsic value. Its only value is what someone else will pay for it. So it's pure speculation.
Like Louie :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:36 pm Bitcoin has no intrinsic value. Its only value is what someone else will pay for it. So it's pure speculation.
Bingo

Just look at who are the large "miners" market manipulators.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:33 pm
Bingo

The same could be said of gold or currencies. There's no reason for them to appreciate over time, unlike shares in a company that generates something of value.

Investing 101
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 pm
Topper wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:33 pm
Bingo

The same could be said of gold or currencies. There's no reason for them to appreciate over time, unlike shares in a company that generates something of value.

Investing 101
Gold has a certain intrinsic value.

How does a company's stock double in value in one day?

When it comes to the stock market, it could be said: Is anything really based on intrinsic value?

Andrew Sarlos taught me decades ago that all markets are run principally on human fear and greed.
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm Gold has a certain intrinsic value.
Strictly speaking yes, but that's not what drives it's price.
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm How does a company's stock double in value in one day?
Stock price and value are not the same. A stock may double but the company's value has certainly not doubled.
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm When it comes to the stock market, it could be said: Is anything really based on intrinsic value?
Yes. When you buy a piece of a company you are buying its future earnings. Kind of like buying a rental property. That has value, traditionally estimated using Discounted Cash Flow.
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm Andrew Sarlos taught me decades ago that all markets are run principally on human fear and greed.
In the short term yes. In the long term no.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lol, read the book...
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I need to read a book to understand your post? No thanks.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm When it comes to the stock market, it could be said: Is anything really based on intrinsic value?
Yes. When you buy a piece of a company you are buying its future earnings. Kind of like buying a rental property. That has value, traditionally estimated using Discounted Cash Flow.
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm Andrew Sarlos taught me decades ago that all markets are run principally on human fear and greed.
In the short term yes. In the long term no.
My dad, who was a math teacher, bought stock based on the difference between stock value and intrinsic value. He looked for companies that were under-valued, bought stock in them and waited for the market to catch up.

It's a low risk long term strategy that used to pay off reasonably well for him. He also used the concept of buying stock for SEK 10,000, (roughly USD 1,000) then wait till it had doubled in value, sell off half of it and invest those 10,000 in some other company, thus slowly building a portfolio at virtually no risk.

Granted, he never became a billionaire with this strategy, but increased his savings quite a bit and could then sell off bit by bit after his retirement.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Pretty hard NOT to make money in the markets over the last 70 years or so...
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:41 pm Pretty hard NOT to make money in the markets over the last 70 years or so...
Some people were greedy during the dot-com bubble and lost their shirts. They're taking decades to recover and won't be retiring early.

Fear and greed are an investor's greatest enemies. Fear that stops you from taking risks you should take, and greed that sucks you into unnecessary or unwise risks.

If you can control these things, then yeah you should be able to make good money in the markets.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yes but the fear and greed of all those other investors affects the rise and fall of those markets you are investing in.
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Yes, and that creates volatility, which is to the advantage of those who can gauge the true value of a company and not give in to their own emotions.

As Warren Buffet said, “Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:33 pm Yes, and that creates volatility, which is to the advantage of those who can gauge the true value of a company and not give in to their own emotions.

As Warren Buffet said, “Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
Good advice.

I've recently bought stock in Sweden's biggest hotel chain, Scandic.
Their stock had fallen roughly 70% since the pandemic hit.

I expect it to go back to normal within a year or two.
They are too big to fail, so I don't see a bankruptcy in the cards.

The chart is old, but you see the great dip in March. I bought at 27.36, it is now at 34.
Should go back to 100 or more when life returns to normal.

I don't have the guts to invest in airlines though. I think it will take many years before that industry recovers, if ever.
There will probably be a pretty harsh weeding out with maybe as much as half of the airline companies going belly up.
If I knew for sure which ones will survive it would be tempting, but too much of a risk imho.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

If you bozos own any twitter stock: SELL

Trumpy-poo had over 88 million followers lol...
____
Try to focus on someday.