Just Not ready

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Topper »

Should Justin, in the grand tradition of Nero, take up the violin?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:36 am Should Justin, in the grand tradition of Nero, take up the violin?
Hes proven to be quite the lyre...

:look:

K thats bad.

The feverish assault on hunters and their rifle collections is really winning them friends but they've obviously decided they can sacrifice those votes as they usually dont inhabit the majority/sanctuary cities where the elections are won for the Liberals
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:51 am
Topper wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:36 am Should Justin, in the grand tradition of Nero, take up the violin?

K thats bad.

The feverish assault on hunters and their rifle collections is really winning them friends but they've obviously decided they can sacrifice those votes as they usually dont inhabit the majority/sanctuary cities where the elections are won for the Liberals
As long as it plays well in Brampton.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:51 am

K thats bad.

He is trying to do anything to take away the focus on their inability to have Canadians vaccinated at a level that we should be at. Look at the current release of several billion dollars toward infrastructure projects.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

How long until another woman comes forward to accuse Canada's new Defence Dept. Vice Chief of Staff of sexual abuse?

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Borrowing $27.80/day for each Canadian.

Our grand children will be building pipelines and mining the oil sands to pay off the debt we leave them with.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/he ... racking-up
Canada is borrowing $27.80 per citizen, per day

There are 37.6 million people in Canada as of last count. Divide that by our total 2020 federal deficit and you have $10,151.63 in borrowed money for every single homo sapiens with a pulse living under the Maple Leaf. This means that for each day of 2020, every single one of us was having roughly $27.80 borrowed on our behalf — or a 15-pack of Molson Canadian from The Beer Store. The amount owing goes up considerably when you consider that upwards of 40 per cent of Canadians do not pay any effective income tax. When the figure is broken down among the taxpayers who will actually be expected to cover it, we’re looking at about $46 per day (which will buy you a two-four at The Beer Store). Oh, and the federal debt just passed $1 trillion for the first time.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:00 am Borrowing $27.80/day for each Canadian.

Our grand children will be building pipelines and mining the oil sands to pay off the debt we leave them with.

There are 37.6 million people in Canada as of last count. Divide that by our total 2020 federal deficit and you have $10,151.63 in borrowed money for every single homo sapiens with a pulse living under the Maple Leaf. This means that for each day of 2020, every single one of us was having roughly $27.80 borrowed on our behalf — or a 15-pack of Molson Canadian from The Beer Store. The amount owing goes up considerably when you consider that upwards of 40 per cent of Canadians do not pay any effective income tax. When the figure is broken down among the taxpayers who will actually be expected to cover it, we’re looking at about $46 per day (which will buy you a two-four at The Beer Store). Oh, and the federal debt just passed $1 trillion for the first time.
I never understood how debt as a percentage of GDP has any relevance as a metric. I guess GDP correlates with tax revenue, allowing the govt to maintain interest payments, but it's only ever used to compare with other countries, not to impose a hard limit.

In the end, paying down the debt is impossible without massive austerity measures, so it will never happen.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:34 am

I never understood how debt as a percentage of GDP has any relevance as a metric. I guess GDP correlates with tax revenue, allowing the govt to maintain interest payments, but it's only ever used to compare with other countries, not to impose a hard limit.

In the end, paying down the debt is impossible without massive austerity measures, so it will never happen.
Debt to GDP ratio is an important metric for the availability of capital (and its cost). To that end, there is a limit of sorts in place, but its wrapped up in a complicated game. Creditors can't afford defaults more than they can't afford workouts; the silent workout is inflation, which is generally more palatable to a political community than austerity. The unknown issue in a world where all countries are experiencing rising debt-to-GDP (because 2020 married vast increased spending with declining GDP) is how to successfully manufacture and manage inflation. The trick is that our near negative inflation (at least in the US) is pretty much necessary to have the multiplying effect of cheap credit and has kept the economy going about as well as it can. Shifting to a more inflationary environment will smooth repayment issues but simultaneously tighten credit, reducing its multiplying effect and slowing down economic activity at a time that this could be terrible.
Hono_rary Canadian
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:34 am

The GDP is an estimate of the value of all goods and services produced in a country.

If you compare it to your own situation, the GDP is your income. The size of the debts you have, relative to your income, is a good indicator of how far up shit’s creek you have gotten yourself.

If your debts are a fraction of your income, your economy is in good shape and you’ll have no problems paying it back, which means you also have no problem borrowing more.

If your debts are several times higher than your income you have to be careful when thinking of new investments, you need to have a strategy for reducing your debt, and you may run into problems if you need to borrow more.

In the same way the debt to gdp ratio helps tell lenders if the country is in good economic shape or not. Will it be able to meet the payments due? If not, they will demand higher interest rate on any future loans to compensate for the risk.

Ultimately it will also affect the interest rates in society and inflation in the manner U-dub described.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://thepostmillennial.com/rob-hoogl ... conscience

"Father jailed after referring to biological female child as his daughter"

A long and terrifying story about a Vancouver man's fruitless attempts to stop the New Order from destroying his daughter's health.

The article details lengthy studies proving the man is right about the damage being done to his pubescent daughter by the system.

The damage of which I speak is fully known-by/supported-by the right dishonourable Justin Trudeau and Minster David Lametti

... as they push Bill C16 in order to appear progressive or woke or whatever they call this horror show.

They have clearly traded in their balls and souls for money and fame.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:47 pm https://thepostmillennial.com/rob-hoogl ... conscience

A long and terrifying story about a Vancouver man's fruitless attempts to stop the New Order from destroying his daughter's health.

The article details lengthy studies proving the man is right about the damage being done to his pubescent daughter by the system.

The damage of which I speak is fully known-by/supported-by the right dishonourable Justin Trudeau and Minster David Lametti

... as they push Bill C16 in order to appear progressive or woke or whatever they call this horror show.

Yeah. I just saw this.

Imagine if the vast vast vast majority of people in this province (and country) actually stood up for what they believe instead of just bitching and moaning about it to one another.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:47 pm https://thepostmillennial.com/rob-hoogl ... conscience

Just an update on this, turns out that the daughter's mother (who is divorced from dear old dad) signed for everything. So this isn't as cut and dry as some sources have made it out to be.

There's a serious problem with compelled speech here, and the justice system is looking like a a dictatorial farce by refusing to allow this man to have a name, face, and voice. But I was pretty unhappy with a couple of the "right-wing" sources I read that have done the exact same thing their leftist counterparts do in omitting some key facts in their presentation of the report.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 am There's a serious problem with compelled speech here, and the justice system is looking like a a dictatorial farce by refusing to allow this man to have a name, face, and voice. But I was pretty unhappy with a couple of the "right-wing" sources I read that have done the exact same thing their leftist counterparts do in omitting some key facts in their presentation of the report.
Nobody should be put in jail for being an asshole.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:02 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 am There's a serious problem with compelled speech here, and the justice system is looking like a a dictatorial farce by refusing to allow this man to have a name, face, and voice. But I was pretty unhappy with a couple of the "right-wing" sources I read that have done the exact same thing their leftist counterparts do in omitting some key facts in their presentation of the report.
Nobody should be put in jail for being an asshole.
I can see why you feel this way.

And I agree.

____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sajin questioned in committee on what, when and who knew what on Vance's sexual misconduct. Dangling from a thread, running in circles and contradicting his earlier testimony.