US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by rats19 »

micky107 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:It amazes how fearful people are of immigrants and refugees. It's making for an excellent distraction around the world.

Meanwhile, the rich get even richer and are taking over the western world in ways that would make the robber-barons of old turn red with jealousy.

trump and his minions are doing what they can to make their pals richer, while they dangle the threat of immigrants and refugees at the masses.

Seriously - what do any of you actually fear?
Not sure how to take the question.
To be on the safe side, even though I would like to answer, I don't think I will.
Chicken shit...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

rats19 wrote:Can't speak for everyone but I am assuming it's "radical Islam" that's the culprit here, for me I would be less hesitant if I saw more of the " non-radical migrants doing and saying more against the radicals.
I keep hearing this but don't understand it. Say I'm a hard-working immigrant that's trying to find a good job and put food on the table for his family, and now I am being made responsible to do something about radicals that I don't know or associate with? What for? Why am I responsible to reign in these crazies? Is it because they happen to have the same skin colour and come from the same country that you think they might listen to me?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:Can't speak for everyone but I am assuming it's "radical Islam" that's the culprit here, for me I would be less hesitant if I saw more of the " non-radical migrants doing and saying more against the radicals.

Maybe the mainstream media just isn't reporting the the good and only report the bad.

Other answers may include... I do much better with my head attached or we can't afford our own down and out citizens let alone new immigrants.

Don't know corn but I think the media plays a huge roll in all this...
Yes - it's the media - both left and right and in between. It's just another wedge issue to divide people like abortion, gun rights and LGBT right, etc.

The US and Canada CAN afford to take care of the people who need help - veterans, disabled, etc - but for some reason they don't always choose to. Why help poor people when the rich need more tax breaks? Why worry about workers when stock prices have to show a gain every quarter?
Using a small amount of resources to help people who are FAR worse off than even the lower levels of north american society does not hurt the budget or take away resources needed elsewhere.

Immigrants are both very helpful to society and of course, a very small number cause problems. But the focus is on the problems. Keep in mind that most western countries are aging and don't have a young population to grow and support the baby boomers - immigration is a great way of bolstering the young, productive segment of society.

As for terrorism - yes it's a threat, yes it can happen anywhere -but so can a car accident. Again, it's a numbers game. Do you want to try to help 1000's of people who are fleeing wars at the very minimal risk of letting in a bad guy or two? What's a good way to stop radical islam? By not acting like assholes towards to the moderate ones.

I remember Canada always being a welcoming country that actually care about those less fortunate - but it seems that the hatred and paranoia from the States is creeping north and changing Canadian culture for the worse. People have always hated immigrants (including my British parents in the 50's) - but the world is changing, and fearing that everyone who enters the country is either going to kill you or take your job is ridiculous.

As for the mass of muslims and immigrants denouncing violence, etc - it's there, just as much as white folks denouncing the bad things white folks do. It just doesn't make good news, so it's not going to be on the front page, is it?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

5thhorseman wrote:I keep hearing this but don't understand it. Say I'm a hard-working immigrant that's trying to find a good job and put food on the table for his family, and now I am being made responsible to do something about radicals that I don't know or associate with? What for? Why am I responsible to reign in these crazies? Is it because they happen to have the same skin colour and come from the same country that you think they might listen to me?
The same way a klansman would listen to a reasonable white person?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:I keep hearing this but don't understand it. Say I'm a hard-working immigrant that's trying to find a good job and put food on the table for his family, and now I am being made responsible to do something about radicals that I don't know or associate with? What for? Why am I responsible to reign in these crazies? Is it because they happen to have the same skin colour and come from the same country that you think they might listen to me?
The same way a klansman would listen to a reasonable white person?
I don't think action is what's being asked for... just visual vocal or otherwise denouncement... make a political stand... announce the atrocities... say something that might put them on the same side as those against the radicals... that's all. Doesn't matter that they listen if they won't. But draw a clear and concise line in the sand that you are not them.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote: just visual vocal or otherwise denouncement...
Something like these groups?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:
Without going into the link if it's positive groups then yes like that . But hire a marketing crew cuz their word isn't getting out very well.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Without going into the link if it's positive groups then yes like that . But hire a marketing crew cuz their word isn't getting out very well.
Maybe if the news shows invited a wider range of guests on the 'talking heads' shows, then these groups would be seen. They're out there, but don't pretend they don't exist.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

OK: Where I live in Richmond, I am the one feeling like an outsider!
Too many, too fast, no regard for building restrictions and all levels of government just taking the cash and virtually saying, do whatever you want.
I did not use to feel this way.
Why do I now?
It's not like home anymore and I sure as hell don't see honor or politeness or any enthusiasm in learning Canadian culture or history AT ALL.
Maybe I'm in a particularly bad spot but it once was, a great spot.
I could go on for pages but there's no point.
I now have no choice but to call myself prejudice, even though I keep trying not to be.
Almost all my friends have left, because of it and they ask me why the hell do I stay.
Guess that question is exactly the point.

Sorry Rats. Couldn't be a chicken shit.
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Maybe if the news shows invited a wider range of guests on the 'talking heads' shows, then these groups would be seen. They're out there, but don't pretend they don't exist.
Not to be difficult Corn , but if no one knows about them.. do they exist? Secret society of good people??

It seems the other side has no problem being heard..
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Micky the lone Gwai Low of Ricemond :lol:

Head on out to the ridge bro...before Lulu island sinks into the ocean
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:It seems the other side has no problem being heard..
If it bleeds, it leads, right?

Which will the media hype more of?

"Coming up, another bomb attack in Mosul - film at 11"

...or..

"Coming up, another Muslim group denounces the latest attack - film at 11"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:
rats19 wrote:It seems the other side has no problem being heard..
If it bleeds, it leads, right?

Which will the media hype more of?

"Coming up, another bomb attack in Mosul - film at 11"

...or..

So back to the media it's their fault. Fair enough I suppose , but I would try very hard to get my message out if I were the good people, that's all
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: *yet another ridiculously long post about immigrants in Sweden that folks will merely skim*
Gotta love the Donald!

If Shillary had won

… no way is most of the civilized world talking about the “immigrant crisis” in Sweden right now! :mex:

:lol:

The Donald has already reduced the Clinton News Network to a rotting corpse.

You've just gotta love the guy!!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: "Coming up, another bomb attack in Mosul - film at 11"

...or..

I honestly believe that at this point more viewers would tune in for the latter.
____
Try to focus on someday.