World Championship 2021

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

World Championship 2021

Post by Per »

Copying some stuff that was already posted about the tournament to this thread...

This was originally posted by me in the Canuck Young Guns thread on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:35 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 am
Apparently the season ends Feb 28 with the playoffs done by Apr 30 at the latest. Should he be selected to represent team russia at the world championship he will also be contractually obligated to go there as well before he would be able to join Van. I have my doubts he would be selected but seeing as he really embraced the leadership role in edmonton, i could see it still happening.

My question is, when does a world championship team set their rosters and how late can a player be added? Would VP need to linger around russia waiting for april 30 before he can sign or is he released from his contractual obligations once SKA is eliminated?
Because of 'rona, the Championship is played a wee bit later this year than normal. The tournament is scheduled to take place between May 21st and June 6th (great idea to schedule the final on Sweden's National Day; what better way to celebrate than by raising a cup, eh? :D ).

A team can enter a maximum of 22 skaters and 3 goalies.

At "the first directorate meeting of the championship", which I assume is a few days before puck drop, a minimum roster of 15 skaters and 2 goalies must have been entered. These players must be present at the location of the venue at the time of the meeting.

The remaining players up to the allowed maximum of 22 + 3 must be submitted for players' control two hours before any of the following championship games. Players can be added throughout the tournament until the roster is full.

So, if Russia reaches the final, they could technically add a player as late as June 6th, two hours before puck drop.
Not very likely though. Unless they're keeping a slot open for some specific player (Ovechkin, Vasilevskiy) in the NHL, they will probably have their roster set before the playoffs begin.

Then again, we still don't know for sure if the tournament will be held at all.

The tournament was meant to be split between Minsk, Belarus and Riga, Latvia, with Russia, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Slovakia, Belarus, Denmark and Great Britain playing their group play in Minsk and Canada, Finland, USA, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Italy and Kazakhstan starting the tournament in Riga.

As a result of the unrest in Belarus, following the contested election, Latvia has stated that while they are still interested in hosting the tournament, they do not want to do it with Belarus. Kind of logical. They have been very firm in denouncing the regime in Belarus, Europe's last dictatorship, and have granted asylum to several leading opposition members.

The Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark) have expressed that they support the notion of moving the championship, but have so far not threatened to withdraw.
The IIHF has held several meetings about how to resolve the matter. Belarus has offered to host the entire tournament, but as mentioned, several of the participating countries would prefer that it is played elsewhere. Russia has also offered to step in as hosts.

And then you have the whole corona situation.
How do you keep players safe? Should the teams be in a bubble?
How do you handle players added later in the tournament? Should there be a quarantine?

Belarus has hardly taken any measures against the virus, last time I checked they still allowed spectators at games.... :|

We will see what happens.

The most likely outcome is that it will be played, but that it may be moved, and I also think it is likely that the generous "two hours before a game" timeline for adding players may be adjusted to allow for quarantine measures.
Or perhaps a rule that all players must have been inocculated against the virus a set number of days prior to the tournament. Who knows?
Last edited by Per on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Re: World Championship 2021

Post by Per »

Originally posted by me in the Canucks Young Guns thread on Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:56 am
Lancer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 am While I would love to see the World Championships this year in Riga while I'm in town, I really don't see it happening so long as the shit-show in Minsk continues. The IIHF is in a bit of a bind - which nation do they alienate depending on whether they cancel it or let it run in Latvia? I think the ongoing COVID wave will give IIHF an easy out and cancel this year.
The demand from eg Latvia and the Nordic countries that the championship should be moved was basically ignored by the IIHF who insisted that the plan was to go ahead with the championship in Riga and Minsk, although Latvia had already said that they were no longer interested in partnering with Belarus.

But now the main sponsor, Skoda, have said that they will withdraw their sponsorship if the championship is held in Belarus, as they do not want to be seen as supporting the regime in Belarus, and that has sent the IIHF scrambling for alternatives. Money talks!

I don't really see cancelling the championships as an option. They cancelled the 2020 ones, but they have since held the WJC, and other sports (eg handball, right now, the UEFA Euro 2020 is expected to be held this summer as are the 2020 Olympics) are holding their championships, so the IIHF would really lose face if they cancel two years in a row. That would expose them as the Mickey Mouse organization they are.

Anyway, now that Skoda has put down their foot (they've been the main sponsor of the championship for the past 28 years!) I think the IIHF will finally do something. There are a number of options. Both Russia and Denmark have hinted that they are willing to host the championships. If they go with the Russia option, they could still keep Riga as one hub, and have the other hub in Moscow or St Petersburg, or let the Russians take on the whole thing.
Lancer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 am At some point, the KHL may realize that it is a lower-tier hockey league in the world filled with prospects, has-beens and never-weres. At that point, the kind of BS going on with Podkolzin won't continue. That said, I get that some euro clubs may feel a bit sore about investing in young talent, only to see them split as soon as the NHL drafts them. Maybe it's time to re-consider a formalized transfer agreement with some form of compensation to either leagues or clubs losing NHL draftees. Nothing that would inhibit European talent from playing in the NHL, but at least some financial acknowledgement of the investment clubs have already made in the kids.
The thing with the KHL is that it is a propaganda tool. The Russians want it to challenge the NHL over being the best league in the world. So far they haven't even come close, but their goal has been to try to incorporate teams from all over Europe. The interest outside of the traditional Russian sphere of interest has been largely non-existent though. Out of the 23 teams currently in the league 18 are Russian, and then there is one team in each of Latvia, Belarus, Finland, Kazakstan and China. They used to have one in Slovakia, but they dropped out. The Finns are also a bit torn about Jokerit playing in the KHL. The team was bought by a Russian oligarch and then transferred from the Finnish SM-liiga to the KHL. Most of the fans are less excited about games against random Russian teams though than they were about games against their traditional Finnish rivals. Attendance at games has dropped.

Eventually the Russians will have to give up, and accept their place in the pecking order, but it won't happen under Putin. The KHL is largely funded by oil money, ad as fossil fuels are phased out, the Russian economy will take a severe beating, and they already are with oil prices having dropped significantly in recent years. This is also why they no longer can compete for the best players, as they actually did for two or three years at their peak. I mean, sure, very few North Americans showed any interest, but lots of Czechs, Slovaks and Finns actually opted for the KHL over the NHL for a while, as it was closer to home and comparable money.

And there actually is a formalized transfer agreement between the NHL and European leagues. At least with Austria, Belarus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Slovakia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. It's fairly lopsided, but it is something. The Swedish Ice Hockey Federation gets like USD 300k for each Swedish player heading over the pond to play in North America. The money is then split so that the federation keeps part of it, and the rest is split between the teams where the player has played over the last five years or something. I don't know the exact formula. So, I'd guess Timrå and Växjö probably got like 100k each when Petey joined the Canucks. It's not nothing, but if you compare what a Swedish soccer team gets for selling one of their stars to Ajax, Milan or Liverpool, it is rather disgraceful.... But it's not nothing. :?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, after Skoda threatened to pull out the IIHF finally got their act together and decided that the tournament will not be held in Belarus.
They still haven't announced where it will be held instead though.

Latvia has said they can host the entire thing, but they then want some financial guarantees considering that there probably won't be spectators in the stands.

Denmark, Slovakia and Lithuania have all offered to host the games that should have been held in Belarus.
Lithuania would be practical since it is neighbouring on Latvia, assuming that they still host their half.

It was earlier hinted that Russia could host the whole thing as well.

Guess we will just have to wait and see. :|
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Riga it is! :thumbs:

All games will be played in Riga, Latvia. They will use two stadiums just 150 metres apart. That will also make it easier to create a bubble environment for the championship.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm/ ... orlds_host
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Gallant and Roberto leading . :P
0:2 against Latvia. That was really ugly, going to watch NHL playoffs now, real hockey.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Ronalds Ķēniņš :mex: and Bob Hartley :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Canucks fans are lucky to have a well-known barometer by which to judge the standard of play at this year's World Championship. The tournament points leader so far is Nicklas Jensen, and we have a pretty good idea exactly how good he is. Adam Clendening is also 14th in goals scored.

I can't find a stat line for Podkolzin, but he doesn't seem to be in the top 30 in any individual stat so far. No idea about his deployment.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:04 pm Canucks fans are lucky to have a well-known barometer by which to judge the standard of play at this year's World Championship. The tournament points leader so far is Nicklas Jensen, and we have a pretty good idea exactly how good he is. Adam Clendening is also 14th in goals scored.

I can't find a stat line for Podkolzin, but he doesn't seem to be in the top 30 in any individual stat so far. No idea about his deployment.
I don't think Podkolzin is suiting up for most of these games Cliff. He wasn't in the lineup for the couple of games I have seen Russia play.

I hope folks around these parts are ready to be patient with the kid, he may need some seasoning in Abby.
el rey del mambo
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Troy Stecher, :drink:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cookie La Rue wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm Troy Stecher, :drink:
https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/commen ... set_up_ot/

I knew he didn't want to be a stay at home defense man.. :scowl:
"evolution"
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Team Germany wasn't bad too. :mrgreen:
0:2 behind, 2:2 44 seconds to go, nice ot, and the 5th penalty shot was hockeygod Marcel Noebels. :lol:
Screamed like crazy, guess my neighbourhood thought now he's done, killed himself twice. :lol:
Looking forward to the semis. :rockin: :rockin: :?:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Who had thought this? :mrgreen:

Canada in the final. :mex:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

You see the move by the little Trojan to set up the OT goal?

Beauty.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:12 am You see the move by the little Trojan to set up the OT goal?

Beauty.
You expert, that's why i mentioned his name.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Now i'm officially hating Suomi.
Cheering for Team Canada tomorrow.
Should have, could have and nothing. Germany played them to the wall.
That was heart, it's like it it is.