GDT: Nucks @ Oil - 6:00PM - Sportsnet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Nucks @ Oil - 6:00PM - Sportsnet

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm The Wrath is the real deal

Sign Hamonic and we got a decent top 6. Bring Edler back for a year, draft a forward with the 2021 1st. Hoagie is the deal in comes Podkolzin, Petey is healthy. Virtanen is black listed from the NHL? Sutter and Baertschi are gone, all is well next season!
LOL!

2 game sample size and he's the real deal. :lol:

The guy is 5'11 177lbs. At 21 years old he's not adding more than another 10 lbs to that frame. The guy may be mobile, but the Canucks glaring problem on D has often been smallish players who can't match up against big physical forwards.

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler - Myers
Rathbone - Hamonic

That's not decent. That's a recipe for bad defensive zone decisions and burning Hughes out over 82 games by making him carry the entire offensive load from the blueline.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Pity the unfortunates!

How can you possibly be down on the Wrath after 2 promising games where he has looked great?!? Listening in on 1260 this am they were raving on after a loss about the kid and how well vancouver has done at digging up gems through the draft. Raving!

We need to adjust Mëds's Mëds stat!
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

A few more games like this one to end the season will do a world of good for the players we know will be staying and be part of the core moving forward.
A good story like Jack Rathbone and his first goal and the coinciding chats about him and Hughes having some common ground is awesome.
Just what the doctor ordered right now.
Hell, I'll even take the enthusiasm that emanated from the MacEwen / Nurse shenanigans. Team banging sticks on the boards, Fuck ya!
I would like to see Pettersson get back for a couple and I think that may be the plan or the hope.
They know the afterlife aint gonna happen this year and now they can use the rest of this time to try some new looks.
The team will be without one or two of the H players next year. The rest of the games can have some design in evaluation of
some possible tough decisions that do have to be made and others that could be.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm The Wrath is the real deal

Sign Hamonic and we got a decent top 6. Bring Edler back for a year, draft a forward with the 2021 1st. Hoagie is the deal in comes Podkolzin, Petey is healthy. Virtanen is black listed from the NHL? Sutter and Baertschi are gone, all is well next season!
LOL!

2 game sample size and he's the real deal. :lol:

The guy is 5'11 177lbs. At 21 years old he's not adding more than another 10 lbs to that frame. The guy may be mobile, but the Canucks glaring problem on D has often been smallish players who can't match up against big physical forwards.

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler - Myers
Rathbone - Hamonic

That's not decent. That's a recipe for bad defensive zone decisions and burning Hughes out over 82 games by making him carry the entire offensive load from the blueline.
I am glad I am not the only one who thinks brining back the identical D would be a bad idea.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:04 am Pity the unfortunates!

How can you possibly be down on the Wrath after 2 promising games where he has looked great?!? Listening in on 1260 this am they were raving on after a loss about the kid and how well vancouver has done at digging up gems through the draft. Raving!

Who's down on the guy? I'm just not writing the book on him being "The Real Deal" after 2 games against the Oilers.....a team which despite a high flying attack is renowned for neither their punishing defense nor aggressive physical forecheck.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Who's down on the guy? I'm just not writing the book on him being "The Real Deal" after 2 games against the Oilers.....a team which despite a high flying attack is renowned for neither their punishing defense nor aggressive physical forecheck.
Sure seemed down on him to me...

:scowl:

Well maybe the coil arent the best defense in the league but they have the 2nd leading scoring dman and maybe the top PP unit. Their bottom 6 is vastly improved and execute a pretty strong forecheck that has caused Van all kinds of fits

The kid held his own and i choose to see the bright side Medster...you can too ya know
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I watched the Rathbone call-up vid on Canucks.com a couple of times and damn, the kid's edgework and agility is smooth as buttah. Effortless gliding, turns, cross-overs, transitions and of course, his top speed. Might be the second best skater on the team behind Hughes.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 pm I watched the Rathbone call-up vid on Canucks.com a couple of times and damn, the kid's edgework and agility is smooth as buttah. Effortless gliding, turns, cross-overs, transitions and of course, his top speed. Might be the second best skater on the team behind Hughes.
His skating is one thing but his ability to out battle bigger forwards on the walls really stood out to me. This was his 2nd game and he looked like he had been here for years
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:47 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 pm I watched the Rathbone call-up vid on Canucks.com a couple of times and damn, the kid's edgework and agility is smooth as buttah. Effortless gliding, turns, cross-overs, transitions and of course, his top speed. Might be the second best skater on the team behind Hughes.
His skating is one thing but his ability to out battle bigger forwards on the walls really stood out to me. This was his 2nd game and he looked like he had been here for years
Yeah, there was no game footage in that vid, so the skating was impressive.

But the eye test during his 2 games show an above average IQ, good positioning, no fear shown or looking intimidated, no laziness or cheating, a willingness to engage, muck it up and be physical... all very good traits so far for a young Dman.

EDIT: There was some game footage. I like how he played McJesus & Dryice and how he reacted to RNH's hook with a slash.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Well maybe the coil arent the best defense in the league but they have the 2nd leading scoring dman and maybe the top PP unit. Their bottom 6 is vastly improved and execute a pretty strong forecheck that has caused Van all kinds of fits
Just like 25 other teams in the league the last few years. :lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:55 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Just like 25 other teams in the league the last few years. :lol:
:look: