GDT: Nucks @ Oil - 6:00PM - Sportsnet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Nucks @ Oil - 6:00PM - Sportsnet

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm The Wrath is the real deal

Sign Hamonic and we got a decent top 6. Bring Edler back for a year, draft a forward with the 2021 1st. Hoagie is the deal in comes Podkolzin, Petey is healthy. Virtanen is black listed from the NHL? Sutter and Baertschi are gone, all is well next season!
Fuck ya

One other positive... tonight when they put Hughes up against McDork he rose to the occasion defensively and looked legit solid. Something he has struggled with this year.

We all know he can move pucks and distribute well but seeing him play that well defensively is huge
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Sign Hamonic and we got a decent top 6. Bring Edler back for a year, draft a forward with the 2021 1st. Hoagie is the deal in comes Podkolzin, Petey is healthy. Virtanen is black listed from the NHL? Sutter and Baertschi are gone, all is well next season!
If Virtanen did fuck up you void his contract. If not you can still expose him to Seattle who aren't going to take on that baggage as a 'social justice' franchise. Maybe he finally grows up, if not he walks at the end of next year.
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 pm

If Virtanen did fuck up you void his contract. If not you can still expose him to Seattle who aren't going to take on that baggage as a 'social justice' franchise. Maybe he finally grows up, if not he walks at the end of next year.
I think Virtanen is done here and quite possibly done in the NHL. There is no bouncing back from sexual assault accusations.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 pm

Fuck ya

One other positive... tonight when they put Hughes up against McDork he rose to the occasion defensively and looked legit solid. Something he has struggled with this year.

We all know he can move pucks and distribute well but seeing him play that well defensively is huge
Just wait until you see Lockwoods speed. Him and the Wrath will be making us a whole lot quicker
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:45 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:36 pm Small sample size I know, but I really like WrathBoner's game.

We know he has wheels, but what impresses is his defensive IQ and his positioning. Battle level is good too.
Wrath is waaay strong for his size as well. Khaira is big body and JR more than held his own in the wall battles.

Hoglander and Rathbone are damn fine additions and i am fucking happy that the eye-ties didnt cave to all the bullshit about Benning. His drafting is why we can be excited for the future of this team
I cannot agree with you more on this.

Boner doesn't look to intimidated by the NHL. He is positionally sound, boxing out his man properly more often than not and doesn't take himself out of the play by mindlessly chasing the play. Don't think he'll ever be a big scorer, but if he's Bret Hedican, I'd be thrilled.

Yup, ol' JB made his share of mistakes as GM in other areas but drafting-wise? Top-notch, no doubt about it.

Even his drafting "mistakes" are serviceable NHLers who can get hundreds of games in. Honestly, when has this organization ever had a constant stream of their own picks make the club over the same period?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

VAN- 1-0 -EVEN:- Nils Hoglander (10) Snap Shot,- assists: J.T. Miller (25), -Travis Hamonic (5)- 00:31- 1st --- https://streamable.com/jg4jjc

VAN- 2-0- EVEN:- Jack Rathbone (1) Snap Shot,- assists: Jayce Hawryluk (2)- 04:43- 1st --- https://streamable.com/r93dta .. :wave:

VAN- 3-0- EVEN:- Travis Hamonic (1) Slap Shot, -assists: Brock Boeser (21),- Nils Hoglander (14)- 06:33- 1st --- https://streamable.com/a5hlor

VAN- 4-0- EVEN:- Jayce Hawryluk (2) Snap Shot,- assists: Nate Schmidt (10), -Matthew Highmore (3) -12:22 -1st --- https://streamable.com/2796h

VAN-5-2- EVEN:- Tyler Graovac (1) Snap Shot,- assists: none- 09:42- 2nd --- https://streamable.com/e7u90n .actually behind the goal line.

VAN- 6-3- EVEN:- Brock Boeser (20) Wrist Shot,- assists: Tanner Pearson (6)- 15:35- 3rd --- https://streamable.com/reflu9

Team- Shots- Hits- Power Play- Face offs
VAN--- 27----- 23------ 0/4------- 53.4%
EDM--- 42----- 26------ 2/5------- 46.6%

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Way to go, kid! --- https://streamable.com/1m7uke

Hit and a fight for Hamonic --- https://streamable.com/jj930f

MacEwen double minor for high sticking --- https://streamable.com/yoaoh4 ..One would have been the correct call.

OOOOEEEE- ouch in a higher then average voice --- https://streamable.com/h4fk1m

Nurse and MacWen jarring at each other. --- https://streamable.com/c1d5v9

Hoglander sais, Should I? --- https://streamable.com/9actbd

MacEwen and Nurse finally fight and Darnell don't fight fair --- https://streamable.com/ngrj99 ..Vince McMahon signs him up!

The Demko pad on CMD on the penalty shot --- https://streamable.com/8qgs4i
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I have worried about Hoglander’s straight ahead speed since he was drafted, but these last two games he looks like he is a step faster than he’s been all season. He has been driving the play a lot these last two games. This is really a good sign that he has another level he’s just beginning to tap. It only took a pandemic and 19 games in 31 days to finally see his potential. What is this guy, Deadpool? Have to get maximum stress to see his super-power come out?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:56 pm

I think Virtanen is done here and quite possibly done in the NHL. There is no bouncing back from sexual assault accusations.
I mean, even if he's cleared it's not like he has Patrick Kane's resume to redeem him. He's got a big ol' clump of turd on his cowboy boot now that he'll carry for life.
el rey del mambo
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:56 pm

I mean, even if he's cleared it's not like he has Patrick Kane's resume to redeem him. He's got a big ol' clump of turd on his cowboy boot now that he'll carry for life.

Odd there has been nothing more on Virtanen. Usually after a week, there is a leak of some kind.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

4000 posts baby :D
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Post game; Demko and Rathbone..6:48 min.
"Good win, good 60 minutes. Obviously they made a push a couple times there to get back into it, I thought we handled it well." -Demko
--Thatcher Demko on the McDavid penalty shot: I thought he had me beat there. I was just trying to get a leg out.
Jack Rathbone on his teammates calling him Bonesy: Huggy's been calling me that, and it's kind of stuck so far.
--"I was able to settle in straight from puck drop which was a nice feeling." -Rathbone on his second game with the #Canucks and first goal
--"The guys in the room have helped me a lot, especially the guys on the backend...there's definitely going to be a little bit of a learning curve. Just trying to come to the rink every day and learn and grow." -Rathbone
Post game; Haminoc..4:00 min.
"I think it was important. To hear the music after the game, and smile, and just kind of enjoy it. We probably needed a win like this...it felt good and I felt like we've been grinding." -Hamonic on tonight's W
--Travis Hamonic: It was nice to see one go in. It's my Mom's birthday today. She doesn't like it when I fight too much, but she'll be happy about the goal.
-- Travis Hamonic on whether he's had talks to re-sign with the Canucks: As far as ongoing talks and things like that, it's always best kept in house.
Post game Green..6:10 min.
Travis Green on the win: It was important. We've been trying to keep our group confident. I think they've been working extremely hard and competing hard.
--Travis Green: There is a lot of hockey. We're going to use both goalies here. But I kind of wanted to go back to Demmer and get him in a groove.
--"Any time you see a player score his first NHL goal, it's something that you never forget." -Coach Green on Rathbone's first NHL goal
-Travis Green: I was happy with how we played with the lead. The end of the 1st, I didn't think we played great. Their top guys made a couple of plays. I liked how we responded in the 2nd, and I liked how we played in the 3rd. We had confidence & we played the right way.-
-Travis Green on Hamonic: A very reliable and stable player. There's a lot of hardness and heaviness in his game. He's a little bit of an old-school throwback type of player, which I like.
-Travis Green chuckles and says "I know, zero" when asked how many Gordie Howe hat-tricks he had in his career.
--Travis Green on Rathbone's defensive play: He's held his own. You can see the puck skills. You can see his shot and his passing. The timing in your d-zone coverage is going to take a little bit. [Mick says: not much though, right-Trav]
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:17 pm I have worried about Hoglander’s straight ahead speed since he was drafted, but these last two games he looks like he is a step faster than he’s been all season. He has been driving the play a lot these last two games. This is really a good sign that he has another level he’s just beginning to tap. It only took a pandemic and 19 games in 31 days to finally see his potential. What is this guy, Deadpool? Have to get maximum stress to see his super-power come out?
I’m telling ya right now CP, Hoagie is the Swedish Brad Marchand
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:01 pm
Yup, ol' JB made his share of mistakes as GM in other areas but drafting-wise? Top-notch, no doubt about it.

Even his drafting "mistakes" are serviceable NHLers who can get hundreds of games in. Honestly, when has this organization ever had a constant stream of their own picks make the club over the same period?
Yup Carl...we are witnessing history in the making but pity the poor unfortunate E-burnouts who sadly took too much ecstacy in the 90s thus depleting their body's ability to generate serotonin and becoming the canuck-scorners that haunt this chatboard to this day

Pity the unfortunates
If you need air...call it in