L-GDT: Canucks @ oilers may 14/24 6:30 pm snp

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Raile
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ oilers may 14/24 6:30 pm snp

Post by Raile »

Raile wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm We can't keep spending 20+ minutes a game playing Green hockey.. need a full 60 minutes and we're the better team.
:(
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: L-GDT: Canucks @ oilers may 14/24 6:30 pm snp

Post by Cornuck »

Lancer wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:21 am Hronek just looks outmatched out there. He's still making good passes more often than not, but he's losing battles all over the place and just not being hard enough on the puck. He seldom has any room to unleash his shot, but the odd time he has the room he either whiffs or passes. I think the issue is in his head, but what the issue is can be anyone's guess.
At least he's 'trying' - so I won't call him a passenger. There's been a few occasions when I've expected him to unleash a slapper from the point, just to see him pass off or wrist it. In the end, he's not making a case for a big payday. We're all expecting more.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Raile wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:34 am I'd like to see Hogz get back in. He's spent his career responding well when being demoted or benched. As everyone says his game should be good in the playoffs so I'd hate to see him not get another chance now that he's spent a few games watching from the sidelines.

Hronek looks a bit like the game is always a bit faster than he can keep up with. He's not been great, but that said, you can't trade away everyone who doesn't perform well in their first playoffs. I'd hope this would help get his price tag down, but we still need a strong right side and I'd be disappointed if we trade him away simply because of his play here.
Yeah, I would put him back in the line up too. Probably Podz as well.

Edit:

Also, hopefully F Petey is taking all the criticism in the media and fan base as motivation. Got a feeling that the real Petey will stand up tomorrow night and will have a statement game.
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

theman wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:21 am

Edit:

Also, hopefully F Petey is taking all the criticism in the media and fan base as motivation. Got a feeling that the real Petey will stand up tomorrow night and will have a statement game.
How about Tocchet benches Mikheyev and puts Hogs and Podz with Petey? He has last change at home, so he can control their match-ups better and it's not like he would be sacrificing offence by benching Mikheyev.

I can think of worse moves.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Lancer wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:46 am

Edit:

How about Tocchet benches Mikheyev and puts Hogs and Podz with Petey? He has last change at home, so he can control their match-ups better and it's not like he would be sacrificing offence by benching Mikheyev.

I would just move Mikheyev to the 4th line in that scenario.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

theman wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:48 am
Lancer wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:46 am

Edit:

I would just move Mikheyev to the 4th line in that scenario.
I missed half of last game, but throughout both rounds I've thought Mikheyev is usually someone pushing pace. He's just got literally zero finish.
I would agree to put him on the fourth line where no finish is expected.. pulling him out of the lineup seems like punishing the wrong people.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Was about to post this last night. See many of you are pretty much saying the same thing...
Mëds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:30 pm Our blueline, d-system, and goaltending, does keep us in games until those 2 lines can break through finally and get something done.
First half of this sentence is true. However, it's now a best of three and really, the next game is a must win. How long do you wait for the other 2 lines to get something done? You need even your 4th line to be contributing a greasy goal or two per round, never mind the truculence and getting under the other team's skin every single game. Contenders have 4th lines that do that. There's been hardly any of that from Lafferty and PDG... now you got Karlsson and Aman? You might as well just play 3 lines then.

Some of these guys just need to look in the mirror and stop being passengers and start battling with their teammates. Can't wait anymore. Might be time for Tocchet to make a few bolder moves.

Addendum: Personally, I wouldn't give the 4th line a pass. Eating up 7-10 minutes without giving up anything 5v5 isn't necessarily contributing or making enough of a difference. It's time to make bold moves. At this point, I'd put the Hogs & Pods missiles with Blueger to see if you can't dislodge some body parts.

But of course, the biggest issue is the so called top line has been completely invisible for the entirety of this playoffs. It's asking a lot for two lines to do all of the checking and scoring. The D is more than holding its own and the goaltending has been superb if you're being honest. You can't even really criticize special teams.

There aren't many games left for two of our lines to step up and do something. Anything.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:22 pm
Per wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:21 pmBugger.
Buggery on the high seas!
Tie that scurvy dog to the yardarm!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:31 pm Was about to post this last night. See many of you are pretty much saying the same thing...
Mëds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:30 pm Our blueline, d-system, and goaltending, does keep us in games until those 2 lines can break through finally and get something done.
First half of this sentence is true. However, it's now a best of three and really, the next game is a must win. How long do you wait for the other 2 lines to get something done? You need even your 4th line to be contributing a greasy goal or two per round, never mind the truculence and getting under the other team's skin every single game. Contenders have 4th lines that do that. There's been hardly any of that from Lafferty and PDG... now you got Karlsson and Aman? You might as well just play 3 lines then.

Some of these guys just need to look in the mirror and stop being passengers and start battling with their teammates. Can't wait anymore. Might be time for Tocchet to make a few bolder moves.

Addendum: Personally, I wouldn't give the 4th line a pass. Eating up 7-10 minutes without giving up anything 5v5 isn't necessarily contributing or making enough of a difference. It's time to make bold moves. At this point, I'd put the Hogs & Pods missiles with Blueger to see if you can't dislodge some body parts.

But of course, the biggest issue is the so called top line has been completely invisible for the entirety of this playoffs. It's asking a lot for two lines to do all of the checking and scoring. The D is more than holding its own and the goaltending has been superb if you're being honest. You can't even really criticize special teams.

There aren't many games left for two of our lines to step up and do something. Anything.
Yeah. I'm not giving anyone a pass, and I didn't mean that as disagreeing or corrective reply. That's just what we've got right now and it's the reason we've managed to get as far as we have. We won't get much further. If we have the same number of passengers in game 5 and 6 we'll be playing our last game of the 2023-24 campaign in Edmonton on Saturday night.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, agree. And I wasn't trying to put you on the spot with the quoting. I think most of us realize we need to be doing something massively different to win these next two games. It would be nice if the boy saviour finally showed up in this series but I'm not counting on it.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:53 pm It would be nice if the boy saviour finally showed up in this series but I'm not counting on it.
Yeah , that ship has sailed. Not seeing a miracle regarding the real Petey standing up. I imagine we won’t be seeing the old Pete until the next “regular season” when he’s had an off season to rebuild his strength. What I’m seeing is a player who isn’t enjoying the rigours of post season hockey. The second gear just ain’t there especially after shitty ending to the season
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:03 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:53 pm It would be nice if the boy saviour finally showed up in this series but I'm not counting on it.
Yeah , that ship has sailed. Not seeing a miracle regarding the real Petey standing up. I imagine we won’t be seeing the old Pete until the next “regular season” when he’s had an off season to rebuild his strength.
Not ness-ess-celery.

Buried within that mopey, thousand yard stare is a dude who can take a game over and bury the coil single handedly. He will fiddle fuck around the perimeter then....BAM! Natural hat trick

The coaching staff need to unlock this puzzle if we are going to beat the coilers.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:06 pm then....BAM! Natural hat trick
That scared me!

(in a good way)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Tocchet gonna grow some balls regarding line-up changes or is he gonna play if safe?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 pm Is Tocchet gonna grow some balls regarding line-up changes or is he gonna play if safe?
Safe