Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 pm
John Davidson is a stooge in your eyes. LOL I guess Elmers’s command of the English language is more up your alley.
Well, he did just lose his job because he wouldn't dare confront the League and wanted to distance himself from the statement.
Gorton has done a decent job in NY other than the Trouba contract.,Elmer has a half dozen such contract blunders. But weren’t you and SKYO hoping Vancouver would land Trouba?
Hm, no, I don't think so. Now that I've finally learned how to use the search function, this is the closest I came, in March 2019:
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 pm
ESQ wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 am
I don't really expect an offer sheet, but I do expect some RFAs will be traded, similar to Ehrhoff. I'd give up next year's first for Trouba.
That pick could be Alexis Lafreniere.

No way in hell would I move that pick
The pick in question wound up being moved for Jimothy Timothy Miller. Gorton wound up sending a 1RP AND a top young defenceman prospect (though I was wrong in my opinion at the time of Pionk, as were many who considered him a throw-in). So Gorton gave up the better player, the 1RP, and put the cherry on top by signing the phat contract extension.
Groton had a nice run in Boston pre Chia. He and Chia (Pre Benning) did most of the heavy lifting for the Bruins cup winner.,
You know, there's gotta be an interesting story in there. Gorton basically transformed that team in a few months as interim GM, Chiarelli gets hired in the summer, and then Gorton is gone.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 pm
Why is Gorton, in your opinion, one of the worst GMs in the league?
He probably has the worst draft record for a team that's been in the tank almost his entire tenure. And he had a ton of assets that were convertible to 1rps, he just blew all those picks.

By the same point in his tenure, Benning had already drafted Demko, Boeser, Petey and Hughes - with zero draft luck he got a 1C, startgin goalie, top-line RW and stud defenceman. Gorton has won the lotto twice, and his best draft pick is Filip Chytil.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 pm
John Davidson is a stooge in your eyes. LOL I guess Elmers’s command of the English language is more up your alley.
Well, he did just lose his job because he wouldn't dare confront the League and wanted to distance himself from the statement.
Gorton has done a decent job in NY other than the Trouba contract.,Elmer has a half dozen such contract blunders. But weren’t you and SKYO hoping Vancouver would land Trouba?
Hm, no, I don't think so. Now that I've finally learned how to use the search function, this is the closest I came, in March 2019:
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 pm
ESQ wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 am
I don't really expect an offer sheet, but I do expect some RFAs will be traded, similar to Ehrhoff. I'd give up next year's first for Trouba.
That pick could be Alexis Lafreniere.

No way in hell would I move that pick
The pick in question wound up being moved for Jimothy Timothy Miller. Gorton wound up sending a 1RP AND a top young defenceman prospect (though I was wrong in my opinion at the time of Pionk as were many who considered him a throw-in). So Gorton gave up the better player, the 1RP, and put the cherry on top by signing the phat contract extension.
Groton had a nice run in Boston pre Chia. He and Chia (Pre Benning) did most of the heavy lifting for the Bruins cup winner.,
You know, there's gotta be an interesting story in there. Gorton basically transformed that team in a few months as interim GM, Chiarelli gets hired in the summer, and then Gorton is gone.
Yessir Pionk I'd suggested trading Virtanen for back in 2019..
One guy I'd look at is Neal Pionk from the NYR, almost the same age as Virtanen, right shot QB type, scored 14 pts as a rookie and is on pace for 29pts this season.

"The point is trying to improve the defense & I don't see JV as a cornerstone piece for this team, he's a complimentary rw, a speedy hitter who at best will be a 20-25 goal scorer.

So if the team can find a youngerish Right Shot QB type who is better than Stecher & Hutton offensively the team should go for it.

A guy with a Salo blaster.

On point in the future - Hughes - (new dman)."
viewtopic.php?p=332338#p332338

But I had to fight off a shit load of canucks corner posters about Virtanen....now the motherfucker ain't worth shit.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm Now that I've finally learned how to use the search function
YOICKS... ruh-roh.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 pm Gorton has done a decent job in NY other than the Trouba contract.,Elmer has a half dozen such contract blunders.
Every GM "has a half dozen such contract blunders". Here's Gorton's half dozen:

Trouba ($8M x 7), Brendan Smith ($4.35 x 4), Shattenkirk ($6.65 x 4), Skjei ($5.25M x 6), Spooner ($4M x 2), Namestnikov ($4M x 2).

Dunno much about his trades but he definitely got hooped on the Ryan McDonagh + J.T. Miller package to the Lightning.

Grass always greener on the other side Vin?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Also, Gorton has built a team as soft or softer than the one you constantly rip Jimmy for building...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 pm Also, Gorton has built a team as soft or softer than the one you constantly rip Jimmy for building...
Rangers have a solid prospect pipeline. No idea what ESQ is talking about all these blown first rounders., I see one in Lias Anderson and of course we all know the Trouba signing and trade were brutal.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:05 pm Wow what the fuck are the Rags doing?
Tom Wilson blew up the Rags real gud. :mex:
He beat them up so bad they fired the GM
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

BingoTough wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:21 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:05 pm Wow what the fuck are the Rags doing?
Tom Wilson blew up the Rags real gud. :mex:
He beat them up so bad they fired the GM
Lol.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:37 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 pm Also, Gorton has built a team as soft or softer than the one you constantly rip Jimmy for building...
Rangers have a solid prospect pipeline. No idea what ESQ is talking about all these blown first rounders., I see one in Lias Anderson and of course we all know the Trouba signing and trade were brutal.
Kakko drafted 2019 2nd overall 9 goals 8 assists
Hoglander drafted 2019 40th overall 9 goals 13 assists
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:16 pm
Said the guy who said Sean Monahan was better than Nathan Mackinnon
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:31 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:16 pm
Said the guy who said Sean Monahan was better than Nathan Mackinnon
Turcotte drafted 2019 5th overall 3 goals 12 assists AHL
Hoglander drafted 2019 40th overall 9 goals 13 assists NHL

Doyle is a huge Turcotte fan
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:44 pm
Doyle is a huge Turcotte fan
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I don't see how any PRO SPORTS Commissioner survives this debacle...Gary Bettman should step down or be fired immediately.

Every TV contract could pull their contracts because of this, costing the NHL billions of dollars.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 pm I don't see how any PRO SPORTS Commissioner survives this debacle...Gary Bettman should step down or be fired immediately.

Every TV contract could pull their contracts because of this, costing the NHL billions of dollars.
Whats this????
If you need air...call it in