Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

lostinarink
CC Rookie

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by lostinarink »

Mondi wrote:It seems that hockey people are loyal to a fault.

Giordano didn't really come into his own until his late-20, and is now peaking at 30/31. He's a good player and a very good piece for the Flames. But, nearly $7 million for a 35-37 year old defenceman is risky. I look at a guy like Chara, who is a much more valuable piece and has declined significantly in his mid/late 30s. Another example is Markus Naslund, a short sharp spike in the late 20s, and a similar decline in the mid-30s.

Of course a 2-3 year contract at 8-9 million would also be a bad idea.

Good for Calgary for locking up the "core", but as with most NHL teams it seems they (are forced to) overvalue their assets.
He starts 15/16 at age 32, is only 6 ft 200 lbs, and plays a warrior style game. It is any wonder that he misses 1/4 of the season to injury consistently every year? I expect his injury time to grow and his recovery time to slow. Unlike Sedins who play a game that should not deteriorate quickly, Gio's game is one that is dependant on extreme physical condition. I expect his downhill slope will be quite steep.

This is a VERY risky contract. Far too much and far to long for a player whose career year is likley behind him and whose dropoff is likely to be above average. I consider this contract to be a boat anchor. I wonder if he got a NMC too? I can see Flames fans looking at this as a TDL dump next year (if not this year).

Overall, this contract is great news for Vancouver fans.
Southern_Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Southern_Canuck »

lostinarink wrote:This is a VERY risky contract. Far too much and far to long for a player whose career year is likely behind him and whose dropoff is likely to be above average. I consider this contract to be a boat anchor. I wonder if he got a NMC too? I can see Flames fans looking at this as a TDL dump next year (if not this year).

Overall, this contract is great news for Vancouver fans.
Hey, I root against the Flames as much as anyone, but did you not notice that Giordano was considered a Norris Trophy candidate for the last couple of seasons? "TDL dump next year"? Sure the risk in the contract is health and age - but from a talent and leadership perspective, it seems like a good deal.

In my mind, the interesting thing to watch in Calgary is the upcoming Monahan (2016), Gaudreau (2016), and Bennett (2017) contracts... those will determine their ability to afford depth.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Gio will be 33 when this contract kicks in and it will take him to 39. It is a very good cap hit, for about the first 4 years, then becomes risky. But there was no way they were going to get him locked up for 4 years at that cap. They would be paying him 8 million on a 4 year deal so the six year term helps lower the cap hit. He is a fitness freak and ya he does get injured every year but there is no denying he is their leader.

A good cap hit but a slightly too long term, but one I have no doubt they had to commit too. Calgary has done a good job rebuilding while remaining competitive. Wait what? Ya, that's their philosophy since they brought BB in, rebuild while giving the team a chance to win. Surround the core with young talent who will become your future core. Gio is that aging core vet that you need on a team of young talented guys.

And they will have the cap to re-sign players coming off their ECLs.

All in all, a good signing for Calgary even if the term is a little long. The last two years may be an anchor, maybe not. Depends upon Gio's health.
The only HW the Canucks need
Southern_Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Gio is that aging core vet that you need on a team of young talented guys.
I think an equivalent on the Canucks is Hamhuis - this contract may set the price.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Giordano as an UFA next offseason would have made a killing! would have had a bidding war for his services.

#FireRichWinter
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Every time we see a team sign a FA we think he is either a) overpaid b) too long of a contract. Maybe we are all wrong and these are just the rates player go for???
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: A good cap hit but a slightly too long term, but one I have no doubt they had to commit too. Calgary has done a good job rebuilding while remaining competitive. Wait what? Ya, that's their philosophy since they brought BB in, rebuild while giving the team a chance to win.
Yeah it certainly helps when you can get a couple high picks (Bennett, Monohan) and one or two that work out later in the draft Gadreau (4th round), Ferland (5th round) and a few that develop nicely from previous drafts (Brodie, Bouma - 2008) while stockpiling picks that hopefully add to their depth over the next couple years (3 1st rounders 2013) and have a training camp invitee (Giordano) turn into one of the best d-men in the game.

It definitely underscores the need to draft well. All 5 players the Flames drafted in 2011 have played an NHL game. Vancouver has drafted 5 players that have played NHL games since 2009.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: A good cap hit but a slightly too long term, but one I have no doubt they had to commit too. Calgary has done a good job rebuilding while remaining competitive. Wait what? Ya, that's their philosophy since they brought BB in, rebuild while giving the team a chance to win.
Yeah it certainly helps when you can get a couple high picks (Bennett, Monohan) and one or two that work out later in the draft Gadreau (4th round), Ferland (5th round) and a few that develop nicely from previous drafts (Brodie, Bouma - 2008) while stockpiling picks that hopefully add to their depth over the next couple years (3 1st rounders 2013) and have a training camp invitee (Giordano) turn into one of the best d-men in the game.

It definitely underscores the need to draft well. All 5 players the Flames drafted in 2011 have played an NHL game. Vancouver has drafted 5 players that have played NHL games since 2009.
Yup pretty atrocious drafting record during the MG regime.

Probably be an enormous amount of improvement in drafting during this new JB era. :thumbs:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Probably be an enormous amount of improvement in drafting during this new JB era. :thumbs:
Could it go anywhere but up?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Probably be an enormous amount of improvement in drafting during this new JB era. :thumbs:
Thank you for acknowledging MG's atrocious drafting record. 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
lol I didn't realize I was ever defending MG's atrocious drafting record...
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
lol I didn't realize I was ever defending MG's atrocious drafting record...
C'mon Island, we all know that you have a particular appreciation for MG's drafting and even moreso for the Ballard and Booth contracts... Hence, your unreasonable abhorrence of the exemplary Sbiza contract. :look:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

DonCherry4PM wrote: C'mon Island, we all know that you have a particular appreciation for MG's drafting and even moreso for the Ballard and Booth contracts... Hence, your unreasonable abhorrence of the exemplary Sbiza contract. :look:
lol, no doubt DC4PM. Sometimes I forget the new rule around these parts: any criticism of Benning indicates a slave-like devotion to Gillis.

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand. Looks like the NHL still hasn't figured out to do with Slava Voynov.
“Once he is released, his status as a suspended player will not change until we have had an adequate opportunity to review the matter and conclude our process,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told SI.com in an email. “There is no precise or projected timeline for that.”
It's been a year, how much more time, how many more facts do they need?
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

IN, they need to find our first if LA wants him back or if they need to hold him in breach :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:IN, they need to find our first if LA wants him back or if they need to hold him in breach :mrgreen:
Yeah, figure out what Dean'er wants to do about it. Maybe they'll just terminate him and sign Franson.