From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by SKYO »

Breh, shit gonna get ugly for Dennis Wideman -

:shock:

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

no shit....man thats bad...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I wonder what the window-lickers would say if a Canuck did that.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Rumsfeld wrote:I wonder what the window-lickers would say if a Canuck did that.
dunno...but they are saying he was woozy after being hit and might not have know it was a ref.....tardville always gives...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

rats19 wrote:
dunno...but they are saying he was woozy after being hit and might not have know it was a ref.....tardville always gives...
That may well be the case, but if it was Burrows they would wail to the prairie skies for an attempted murder charge.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

looked like he knew what he was doing to me....forget if a canuck did man thats just crazy...riots everywhere but in van...lol
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

rats19 wrote:
How many shifts did he miss? I heard he didn't miss any. Either he was woozy and the Flames staff let him keep playing (big no no), or he smashed a linesman from behind (bigger no no) because he was angry.

I say cover all your bases and give him 15 games and fine the Flames $500,000 and the loss of a draft pick for failing to comply with the league's concussion protocol. Knowing the NHL it'll be a $5,000 fine and a sternly worded letter to all teams reminding them of the requirement for professional grade blackout curtains in the quiet room.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No, he just misjudged the path of the linesman.

Ya if that was a Canuck they would be demanding a lifetime suspension.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:No, he just misjudged the path of the linesman.

Ya if that was a Canuck they would be demanding a lifetime suspension.
lol, yeah because the linesman are always so elusive in their routes, darting to and fro, who knows where they'll show up??

Maybe he didn't see him, maybe he did and wanted to get the guy out of his way so he could get off.

I find it funny that in a game as fast as NHL hockey, a guy could be so completely surprised by a zebra skating backwards towards them at a slow speed, following the play up the ice. The best part is Wideman just carrying on with his trip to the bench. "Decked a linesman, no big deal."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well the team will argue he was woozy after the hit trying to get off the ice. Looked up, saw a body, raised his arms up to protect himself. Of course that doesn't explain him staying in the game, nor the shoving motion. I can sort of see the argument. He was laboured skating back to the bench and probably, for that split second thought it was a Nashville player.

The rules state a minimum of 10 games for intentional contact, a minimum 20 games if there is intent to injure. I think the NHL sorta wanna buys his argument and finds no intent to injure but find he was reckless and the contact was avoidable thereby giving him 10 games. It's that or nothing.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
rats19 wrote:
How many shifts did he miss? I heard he didn't miss any. Either he was woozy and the Flames staff let him keep playing (big no no), or he smashed a linesman from behind (bigger no no) because he was angry.
Yeah, he didn't miss any, I watched it. Still can't believe it or understand what he was thinking. That's a 10 game minimum suspension isn't it?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gotta stop any type of behavior like this right away, veteran or not, crosschecking a ref during a casual stroll to the bench is not tolerable in this league, if it was in a huge scrum with bodies flying everywhere fine, ok it was an accident, but this was far from a scrum, it was in the middle of the ice along the boards with no one around, Campbell has got to set a precedent to not take this shit for the refs, accident or not, got to hand down the law for this one - 10 games for recklessness.

Wideman takes it like a man, says sorry, sits out 10 games.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

It's pretty sad that this is the Flames team that kicked our ass in the playoffs last year. Hell, on paper they're better than that team.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Gotta stop any type of behavior like this right away, veteran or not, crosschecking a ref during a casual stroll to the bench is not tolerable in this league, if it was in a huge scrum with bodies flying everywhere fine, ok it was an accident, but this was far from a scrum, it was in the middle of the ice along the boards with no one around, Campbell has got to set a precedent to not take this shit for the refs, accident or not, got to hand down the law for this one - 10 games for recklessness.

Wideman takes it like a man, says sorry, sits out 10 games.

I agree about setting the precedent.

Just listening to Wideman I really think the hit he took made him woozy and when he looked up as he neared the bench he saw a body. I don't buy he could not avoid it. I think he really for that split second thought is was a Pred. He doesn't have a history of this nor was there any reason for him to want to hit an official. On his hit, his head hit the dasher and I think he was both pissed off and woozy. If you look at where the contact occurred, it was right at the Nashville bench. I truly believe he thought he was cross checking a Pred.

He gets to the bench and now it's oh shit. So while I do not think he intentionally hit an official I do believe the hit was intentional which goes to no intent to injure I guess. On one hand it is a no brainer, give him 10 games and send a message. If they don't that sets the precedent for other players to accidentally on purpose take shots at officials and claim they thought it was an opposing player. These are pros after all. They know what they are doing.

On the other hand, if he had no intention of making contact with an official, as the rule states he must, should he be suspended. The play must be taken in full context. Of course McSorely had no intention of hitting Brashear in the head and that argument failed. Clearly, IMO, Widmen intended to hit, just who is debatable.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamVingan/s ... 70/video/1

Reverse view of the Wideman hit. From this view it seems very accidental.