From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by 2Fingers »

Especially during the pandemic, cities have lost a lot of revenue.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Murrey has had of rough time of late. The oil business is in the tank, he personally coughed up a lot of money for Mt Polley remediation after the tailings breach and he had sell of a big chunk of Red Chris to get it up and running.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Topper wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am maybe if they hadn't ridden Markstrom like a rented mule
That's what happened alright.

He started great but the earlier coach Ward just kept throwing in there until he broke down.
el rey del mambo
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm Murrey has had of rough time of late. The oil business is in the tank, he personally coughed up a lot of money for Mt Polley remediation after the tailings breach and he had sell of a big chunk of Red Chris to get it up and running.
I wasn't impressed with him even before his current problems. Hopefully he sells his share of the Flames (Calgary Sports Entertainment Corporation - CSEC), which includes the Calgary Stampeders and Calgary Hitmen.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:08 am
Topper wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm Murrey has had of rough time of late. The oil business is in the tank, he personally coughed up a lot of money for Mt Polley remediation after the tailings breach and he had sell of a big chunk of Red Chris to get it up and running.
I wasn't impressed with him even before his current problems. Hopefully he sells his share of the Flames (Calgary Sports Entertainment Corporation - CSEC), which includes the Calgary Stampeders and Calgary Hitmen.
The group has been the epitome of "hands off owners", preferring a hired hand to manage. It insulates them from the noise Vancouver hears of the Aqualung boys but it also doesn't gain them any public support.

With the new tower at the garage, the Aqualungs have fully converted their sport entertainment investment into a real estate venture. Murrey and the boys will have a hard time of that while asking for massive public funding.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:57 am
BCExpat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:08 am
The group has been the epitome of "hands off owners", preferring a hired hand to manage. It insulates them from the noise Vancouver hears of the Aqualung boys but it also doesn't gain them any public support.

With the new tower at the garage, the Aqualungs have fully converted their sport entertainment investment into a real estate venture. Murrey and the boys will have a hard time of that while asking for massive public funding.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder who blinks first - the City or CSEC.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:09 pm
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder who blinks first - the City or CSEC.
When's the next election? Nenshi is a bit of a lame duck as he isn't running again, but I believe he's been a big proponent of playing hardball with the CSEC, no?
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

ESQ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm
When's the next election? Nenshi is a bit of a lame duck as he isn't running again, but I believe he's been a big proponent of playing hardball with the CSEC, no?
Municipal elections is later this year I believe and yes you are right, he was playing hardball.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

theman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:59 pm
Municipal elections is later this year I believe and yes you are right, he was playing hardball.
Actually, putting on the tinfoil hat, I'd bet there's a direct connection - CSEC is stalling to see if they get a friendlier mayor this fall who will loosen the purse strings.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

ESQ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 pm
theman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:59 pm
Actually, putting on the tinfoil hat, I'd bet there's a direct connection - CSEC is stalling to see if they get a friendlier mayor this fall who will loosen the purse strings.
Well they already had a deal in place. Now CSEC wants more money, land and parking control as well as turfing the project manager which is a subsiduary of the City. So, it may be a ploy to get a friendlier mayor, but they might get someone like Farcas who is the polar opposite and who might just scrap the whole project. It's a big gamble if that is CSEC's ploy and it's one that could easily backfire on them.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Looks like the Flames might lose their el capitan Giordano to Seattle.
The Flames will obviously protect defensemen Rasmus Andersson and Noah Hanifin, who are in their primes.

But since they’re likely to use a 7-3-1 scheme, they’ll have to decide between Chris Tanev and Mark Giordano as the third defenseman. Tanev is six years younger and also cheaper at a $4.5-million AAV but has three seasons left on his deal is an “old” 31 because he sacrifices his body so much.

Giordano is a grizzled 37 with a $6.75-million cap hit but only has one season left on his contract and is revered as the Flames’ captain.
Seattle could then flip Gio at the TDD as a rental for a pick.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:43 pm Looks like the Flames might lose their el capitan Giordano to Seattle.
The Flames will obviously protect defensemen Rasmus Andersson and Noah Hanifin, who are in their primes.

But since they’re likely to use a 7-3-1 scheme, they’ll have to decide between Chris Tanev and Mark Giordano as the third defenseman. Tanev is six years younger and also cheaper at a $4.5-million AAV but has three seasons left on his deal is an “old” 31 because he sacrifices his body so much.

Giordano is a grizzled 37 with a $6.75-million cap hit but only has one season left on his contract and is revered as the Flames’ captain.
Seattle could then flip Gio at the TDD as a rental for a pick.
Giordano is still a quality player. Seems like a good guy to pick and then flip. Eat some cap if you have to. Unless they think Tanev is a risk to make it to the finish line. He had a solid year like he always does but three more years when he takes a consistent beating might be a bit much.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah the Flames in a tough spot with those 4 dmen.

-

Shane O'Brien saying he's hearing that Tkachuk wants out of Calgary. :o
Alright so apparently Shane O’Brien on the NHL network said he’s heard Tkachuk wants out of CGY.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:34 pm Yeah the Flames in a tough spot with those 4 dmen.

-

Shane O'Brien saying he's hearing that Tkachuk wants out of Calgary. :o
Alright so apparently Shane O’Brien on the NHL network said he’s heard Tkachuk wants out of CGY.
I'd offer The Juice straight up for him if Tkafuck wasn't the most hated weasel in the game and due a $9M qualifying offer in 1 year.

Thoughts Blob? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

A Tkachuk - Petey - Boeser line? :o

People think he wants to go to St Louis tho