What will Chicago do?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

What will Chicago do?

Post by trouble »

Since the begining of the Cap days i don't think i have ever seen a team in such cap problems going into a new season.

There are rumors out that the Hawks have to give over 5 million in bonus out to player for r the stanley cup win that will be a cap hit for the coming season cause they were right at the cap this year

No doubt they will have to lose Huet to the minors and try and suck some team into taking Campbell off their hands,

But it just keeps getting worse.

I wouldn't be surprized if Versteeg or Sharp are moved before the season starts.

It's gonna cost them atleast 3 million per to get Niemi signed and 3 to 4 million per to get Ladd signed. I'm not sure if they can do both.

What a different team they will be next season
Fred
CC Legend

Re: What will Chicago do?

Post by Fred »

The consensus seems to be they will send Huet to the AHL which will divest them of $4mill
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Huet seems a certainty. Now will they have the balls to do it to Campbell?

There could be some nebulous repercussions to that in terms of the image players have a of the franchise, but is that hit more damaging than the pressing damage of giving up a core player like Sharp.

I mean, the fact that they have to trade a couple guys doesn't mean they will fall apart. Nor does it mean they have to give them up for nothing.

I don't really think it's the end of the world for them, but they're sure paying for Mr. Tallon's idiocy, despite the attempts to make him out to be a slighted genius.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

It may really be bad for the defending Stanley Cup champions next year for sure!

Who would want to take Campbell with that price tag? Can it even be done? Too bad Mike Milbury wasn't a GM anymore, he probably would have bitten. lol

Buffalo was smart in letting him go before he cost them too much.

Ah time will tell. Huet can join Dan Cloutier, Patrick Lalime etc etc etc as overpaid back-ups now playing in the minors. It's amazing what a single good season can do for you financially in the NHL isn't it?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Campbell, they could waive him and then bring him back up and they end up with 50% of his salary and I'm sure some one will claim him at half price
cheers
trouble

Post by trouble »

Fred wrote:Campbell, they could waive him and then bring him back up and they end up with 50% of his salary and I'm sure some one will claim him at half price

That would be a cap hit of 3.5 million for chicago with nothing in return
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Perhaps, that might be a more viable solution than paying the full load in the minors. No way in Hell they're allowed to bury Campbell in the minors; overpaid yeah but he's still one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league. Pretty certain the NHLPA would step in at that point regardless of whether its permitted in the CBA.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Post by trouble »

ClamRussel wrote:Perhaps, that might be a more viable solution than paying the full load in the minors. No way in Hell they're allowed to bury Campbell in the minors; overpaid yeah but he's still one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league. Pretty certain the NHLPA would step in at that point regardless of whether its permitted in the CBA.

Have to agree with ya Clam.. Teams need to learn they can't throw money around like that..

Hossa still got 11 years on his 5,275,000 per deal.

Campbell still got 6 years at $7,142,875

Huet still got 2 years at $5,625,000

These are just stupid contracts and i hope the hawks pay dearly for them
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No way in Hell they're allowed to bury Campbell in the minors; overpaid yeah but he's still one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league.
I didn't see ANY evidence of that this year...
Have to agree with ya Clam.. Teams need to learn they can't throw money around like that..
They can throw money around however they want, it's just how they choose to extricate themselves that matters.

I wouldn't have signed any of those deals, but then, they have a cup and we don't, so who's laughing?
trouble

Post by trouble »

the toucan kid wrote:
No way in Hell they're allowed to bury Campbell in the minors; overpaid yeah but he's still one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league.
I didn't see ANY evidence of that this year...
They can throw money around however they want, it's just how they choose to extricate themselves that matters.

I wouldn't have signed any of those deals, but then, they have a cup and we don't, so who's laughing?
I really don't think any of those 3 players were a major reason they win the cup..
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

trouble wrote:Since the begining of the Cap days i don't think i have ever seen a team in such cap problems going into a new season.

There are rumors out that the Hawks have to give over 5 million in bonus out to player for r the stanley cup win that will be a cap hit for the coming season cause they were right at the cap this year

No doubt they will have to lose Huet to the minors and try and suck some team into taking Campbell off their hands,

But it just keeps getting worse.

I wouldn't be surprized if Versteeg or Sharp are moved before the season starts.

It's gonna cost them atleast 3 million per to get Niemi signed and 3 to 4 million per to get Ladd signed. I'm not sure if they can do both.

What a different team they will be next season
Any potential bonuses that are payable to eligible players are already included in the calculation of of the players average salary and form part of the team's cap calculation until they are no longer capable of being earned, so they are already accounted for in Chicago's cap calculation for 2010-11.

However Chicago is certainly tight against it given they only have 9 forwards, 4 dmen and 1 goal tender signed for next year and already sit at $57,598,000. I agree Huet is most definitely gone and unloading Campbell may be the quick fix they need. If it comes down to it Versteeg is probably moved before Sharp, but given that Scotty Bowman is a management consultant whatever happens they will almost certainly be a team to be reckoned with once again.
Last edited by Arbour on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

ClamRussel wrote:Perhaps, that might be a more viable solution than paying the full load in the minors. No way in Hell they're allowed to bury Campbell in the minors; overpaid yeah but he's still one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league. Pretty certain the NHLPA would step in at that point regardless of whether its permitted in the CBA.
While it is unlikely Campbell ends up in the minors I wouldn't be shocked to see Huet end up there. Campbell also has an NTC, but there is an eight team short list he can provide should he consent to being moved. Interestingly enough from what I can find Hossa has no such clause so if Chicago is interested in keeping their younger players he is still a marketable commodity (Rangers?) in spite of his contract.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Any potential bonuses that are payable to eligible players are already included in the calculation of of the players average salary and form part of the team's cap calculation until they are no longer capable of being earned, so they are already accounted for in Chicago's cap calculation for 2010-11.

However Chicago is certainly tight against it given they only have 9 forwards, 4 dmen and 1 goal tender signed for next year and already sit at $57,598,000. I agree Huet is most definitely gone and unloading Campbell may be the quick fix they need. If it comes down to it Versteeg is probably moved before Sharp, but given that Scotty Bowman is a management consultant whatever happens they will almost certainly be a team to be reckoned with once again.

Accually these bonus are not part of the Contract that was the cap hit for the 09/10 season.. They became available with a cup win or a conn smyth win. Normally they would just be added to the teams cap but in the Hawks case they were already at the cap so they go against the following years cap hit..
trouble

Post by trouble »

Arbour wrote:
While it is unlikely Campbell ends up in the minors I wouldn't be shocked to see Huet end up there. Campbell also has an NTC, but there is an eight team short list he can provide should he consent to being moved. Interestingly enough from what I can find Hossa has no such clause so if Chicago is interested in keeping their younger players he is still a marketable commodity (Rangers?) in spite of his contract.

After watching Hossa durning the season and the playoff he is no way worth that cap hit and for 11 years.. The GM that takes on that contract in a trade is gonna get canned. Most US teams are just breaking even or losing money. If it wasn't for the Canadian dollar the cap would be going down or staying put.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

the toucan kid wrote: I don't really think it's the end of the world for them, but they're sure paying for Mr. Tallon's idiocy, despite the attempts to make him out to be a slighted genius.

Say what you will about Tallon, and I agree he signed some "stupid money" contracts, but the team that he put together won the Stanley Cup for Chicago.

'Nuff said.