What will Chicago do?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

olgenifti
AHL Prospect

Re: What will Chicago do?

Post by olgenifti »

What is Buffyglien's new contract?
incompletemedia

Post by incompletemedia »

3 mil for 1 year

Here is a great article about how the Hawks ran out of money multiple times this past season and failed to turn a profit during their Cup run.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl-259192
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010 ... bill-wirtz

The source of that Puck Daddy article, a much better read.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
incompletemedia

Thanks, I meant to post the source article.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

trouble wrote:An arbitrator has set Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Antti Niemi's salary at $2.75 million.

The Hawks now have 48 hours to decide whether they want to walk away and make Niemi an unrestricted free agent immediately, or accept the arbitrator's decision and sign him at that salary for one season.

The Hawks could also accept the decision, sign and then trade the goalie.

Niemi was expected to seek at least $3 million, after making $827,000 last season while leading Chicago to the Stanley Cup title. Because of salary-cap constraints, the Hawks were believed to be seeking a decision in the $2 million range.

Stan Bowman, Blackwawks GM, has reportedly spoken to other teams about Niemi in case the Hawks don't re-sign the goaltender

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329126

theyre way over the cap as is.....do they bury huet in the minors or send niemi packing? one of the 2 has to happen
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
incompletemedia

As it stands, Chicago has 11 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 1 goalie under contract. They are currently $403,256 over the cap.
incompletemedia

From a poster on my regular Flyers board:

"Reports coming in out of Chicago that the Hawks have signed Turco to a one-year, $1.75 deal. Announced tomorrow."

no source.
trouble

Post by trouble »

theyre way over the cap as is.....do they bury huet in the minors or send niemi packing? one of the 2 has to happen

As for trading Huet I doubt there is much of a market for a over priced Goalie.. I really can't think of a team that can afford that type of contract. Only way i could see it happening is if Chicago sweetens the deal by throwing in a high prospect and or very high Draft picks.
trouble

Post by trouble »

incompletemedia wrote:From a poster on my regular Flyers board:

"Reports coming in out of Chicago that the Hawks have signed Turco to a one-year, $1.75 deal. Announced tomorrow."

no source.
I don't get the Turco rumors. He is another goalie that is past his prime.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

trouble wrote:
incompletemedia wrote:From a poster on my regular Flyers board:

no source.
I don't get the Turco rumors. He is another goalie that is past his prime.
He would be a good guy in the locker room for the likes of Niemi and others in there. He's a vet who has won the big show, so it's not like he's outlived his usefulness in the league. At that price to back up someone like Niemi and be able to step in, isn't such a bad thing. I don't see it 'hurting' them, there are back-up goalies that have cost teams a hell of a lot more than what Turco is possibly going to get.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

LotusBlossom wrote:He would be a good guy in the locker room for the likes of Niemi and others in there. He's a vet who has won the big show, so it's not like he's outlived his usefulness in the league. At that price to back up someone like Niemi and be able to step in, isn't such a bad thing. I don't see it 'hurting' them, there are back-up goalies that have cost teams a hell of a lot more than what Turco is possibly going to get.
I would think that given their cap problems, Turco at 1.75 million would be a replacement for Niemi. In which case I think it's somewhat of a push. Was Turco in the league when the Stars won in 1999? Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't believe he's won the big show. He used to be a pretty solid goalie, considered potentially great early if not for his struggles in the playoffs (even though he was stellar against the Canucks that year followed by another solid run in 2007-2008). If the Hawks could win with Niemi, well I guess they believe they could win with Turco. Then again, they're missing about half their roster. Still can't wrap my head around why they signed Hossa last year, aside from the one year of a stacked team. That contract really cost them some long term depth. Then again who are we to criticize. They're still the champions!
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

rockalt wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:He would be a good guy in the locker room for the likes of Niemi and others in there. He's a vet who has won the big show, so it's not like he's outlived his usefulness in the league. At that price to back up someone like Niemi and be able to step in, isn't such a bad thing. I don't see it 'hurting' them, there are back-up goalies that have cost teams a hell of a lot more than what Turco is possibly going to get.
I would think that given their cap problems, Turco at 1.75 million would be a replacement for Niemi. In which case I think it's somewhat of a push. Was Turco in the league when the Stars won in 1999? Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't believe he's won the big show. He used to be a pretty solid goalie, considered potentially great early if not for his struggles in the playoffs (even though he was stellar against the Canucks that year followed by another solid run in 2007-2008). If the Hawks could win with Niemi, well I guess they believe they could win with Turco. Then again, they're missing about half their roster. Still can't wrap my head around why they signed Hossa last year, aside from the one year of a stacked team. That contract really cost them some long term depth. Then again who are we to criticize. They're still the champions!

Turco signing is confirmed....guess Niemi is going somehwere else.....maybe Florida?
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

nucklehead_88 wrote:Turco signing is confirmed....guess Niemi is going somehwere else.....maybe Florida?
Florida are set in net for the forseeable future. They have Vokoun for this year, and when his contract runs out they have Markstrom ready to step in. I see Niemi going somewhere like the Islanders who still need to hit the cap floor and only have a very old Roloson and an extremely injury prone DiPietro as their solutions in net.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

You got to laugh about this story.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=535272

I really didn't like the Hawks and can't be more happy that they have been dismantled. They had there one chance and got it, got to give them that.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

levelheaded wrote:
nucklehead_88 wrote:Turco signing is confirmed....guess Niemi is going somehwere else.....maybe Florida?
Florida are set in net for the forseeable future. They have Vokoun for this year, and when his contract runs out they have Markstrom ready to step in. I see Niemi going somewhere like the Islanders who still need to hit the cap floor and only have a very old Roloson and an extremely injury prone DiPietro as their solutions in net.
You would think Washington would be waiting to jump on Niemi.....or LA....both need a goalie to take the next step.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill