Ex-canucks watch

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Not that he played one game for us, but what about RJ Umberger? Krajicek? Marek Malik?
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:Not that he played one game for us, but what about RJ Umberger? Krajicek? Marek Malik?
Or Richard Park, Brent Sopel, Bryan Allen, Jarkko Ruutu...

I looked at all of these and a few other before posting but there didn't seem to be much in the way of surprises.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

dr.dork wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:Not that he played one game for us, but what about RJ Umberger? Krajicek? Marek Malik?
Or Richard Park, Brent Sopel, Bryan Allen, Jarkko Ruutu...

I looked at all of these and a few other before posting but there didn't seem to be much in the way of surprises.
and for the love of god what about Dan Cloutier :)
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Bert is a disaster? Pull your head out man your running out of oxygen! Seven goals five on the powerplay! You guys say powerplay goal like its a bad thing??? WTF is that?? Thats when you want to score! Duh! Last time I checked Calgary had Dion, Rehger and kippersoft back there to prevenht goals. But no you guys want Bertuzzi to come all the way back and play defence. Unreal.

I'm glad Auld is doing fine with the Sens but its just a matter of time before that teams spending more money on bed sheets than travel! Other than serious injuries to Naslund ,Morrison, Ohlund, Jovonoski, Salo and possibly Cloutier ,Aulds stained sheets were the biggest reason the 05 Canucks didn't do anything. Even bigger than Crows late season panic attacks and Nonis' retard deadline deals.
Don Cherry for P.M.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Tough to blame Auld for being in a position where he had to play every game when he came into the season fighting to be a backup. He played at his skill level, and it was the organization that failed time and time again to get the goalie that was needed.

Oh and as for Bert, if you give me the 02/03 version from the red line out, I take it happily. Give me the guy since then, not someone I want on my team. Simple as that.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Bert is a disaster? Pull your head out man your running out of oxygen! Seven goals five on the powerplay!

So he got a total of 2 goals even strength... and while he was on the ice the opps scored 14 goals and you think thats a good thing? He has the worst +/- on the team .... more than twice as bad as any other Flame.. Yeah... I do think forwards should come back to help out the D... thats the name of the game.. A one way player in todays NHL is a Disaster to the team... PERIOD . !
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Mikodat wrote:
Bert is a disaster? Pull your head out man your running out of oxygen! Seven goals five on the powerplay!

So he got a total of 2 goals even strength... and while he was on the ice the opps scored 14 goals and you think thats a good thing? He has the worst +/- on the team .... more than twice as bad as any other Flame.. Yeah... I do think forwards should come back to help out the D... thats the name of the game.. A one way player in todays NHL is a Disaster to the team... PERIOD . !
Yep, there's a reason the Canucks, Panthers, Red Wings, and Ducks gave up on him.

So far, I'm happy for Bert that he's producing; the fact that he's a net minus player for the Flames and Mike Keenan is sweet music. :twisted:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Lord only knows why Veenyo didn't allow last year's Canucks squad to play like they currently do (i.e. carrying the puck, etc.).....while Naslund was still here.
Easy. His job wasn't on the line the past 2 years. He was coach of the year and there was no reason to change.
Enter MG and all bets were off. Mikey wanted more run-and-gun, Mikey got more run-and-gun. 8-)
Farhan Lalji wrote:As much as I dislike the fans of Calgary (not to mention, the people of Alberta and Toronto in general)
I can only hope you were joking there... :?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

ClamRussel wrote:Farhan Lalji wrote:
Lord only knows why Veenyo didn't allow last year's Canucks squad to play like they currently do (i.e. carrying the puck, etc.).....while Naslund was still here.

Easy. His job wasn't on the line the past 2 years. He was coach of the year and there was no reason to change.
Enter MG and all bets were off. Mikey wanted more run-and-gun, Mikey got more run-and-gun.

It's far easier to play run and gun when you have more speed, skill, and depth than what you did the year before. MG and co. did a great job of scouting this off-season. Do people on this board realize just how talentless we were at forward last season?
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

randymeeks wrote: It's far easier to play run and gun when you have more speed, skill, and depth than what you did the year before. MG and co. did a great job of scouting this off-season. Do people on this board realize just how talentless we were at forward last season?
Can you remind me exactly who MG and company picked up on the forwards (or defence) that was not already in the Vancouver system ?

I think the list is: Hordichuk, Demitra, Bernier, Wellwood and Johnson. Demitra has missed more games than he played, and the only reason Wellwood has come up is because of injury (and the jury is still out on him). Bernier has been a bit of a disappointment so far (or at least he hasn't been able to jell with the twins). I'm not faulting MG on Bernier, is was the right gamble. Our 4th line is certainly better. But the first, second and third are a wash, and most of the newcomers were drafted by guess who ?

And we lost: Linden, Morrison and Naslund.

I'm not sure that is a huge upgrade. And we have won 3 games in overtime/shootout, and our defense is healthy.

I wouldn't go singing the praises of MG yet, because he is acting very slow and cautiously. And this is fine, but it is exactly why Nonis was canned. So far, lack of injuries has had a far bigger effect (this year vs last year) than the upgrade of talent.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dr.dork wrote:
I wouldn't go singing the praises of MG yet, because he is acting very slow and cautiously. And this is fine, but it is exactly why Nonis was canned. So far, lack of injuries has had a far bigger effect (this year vs last year) than the upgrade of talent.
Hey dr.dork,

Just a few things:

A) Although I think our 4th line is significantly better than what it was last year, I still don't think it's quite up to par (which speaks volumes about how pitiful our 4th line was last year!). I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade here.

B) I definitely agree with you that there seems to be a parallel between Nonis (last year's version) and Gillis so far. I think Nonis' downfall last year was that he put all his "eggs in one basket" in regards to Forsberg (with the idea that even if he didn't get Forsberg, he could just trade for someone at the deadline). As we saw however, Forsberg signed with Colorado....and then the asking prices at the trade deadline were INSANELY high. One year later, and Gillis is faced with a similar situation with Sundin. I don't mind the Canucks waiting for Sundin (for the fact that we don't have to give up anything other than $$$$ to get him), but I would also advise that the Canucks be sure on what Sundin's intentions are. If Sundin isn't even 90% positive that he'll sign here, then I think Gillis needs to move on......and perhaps trade for someone before asking prices become too high.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

dr.dork wrote:randymeeks wrote:
It's far easier to play run and gun when you have more speed, skill, and depth than what you did the year before. MG and co. did a great job of scouting this off-season. Do people on this board realize just how talentless we were at forward last season?

Can you remind me exactly who MG and company picked up on the forwards (or defence) that was not already in the Vancouver system ?

I think the list is: Hordichuk, Demitra, Bernier, Wellwood and Johnson.

You can add Shane O' Brien to the list. This team is a faster team than what we had last year and I firmly believe we have upgraded our talent level with those players, especially on our 4th line. No question staying healthy is a big factor as to why we are winning. We have better chemistry as a team this year with those players in the line-up than what we had last year. I'm giving credit where credit is due. For the most part, MG and his scouts did a very good job of scouting. Something which had been a problem here for years and wasn't addressed with DN at the helm.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

randymeeks wrote:
dr.dork wrote:randymeeks wrote:

I think the list is: Hordichuk, Demitra, Bernier, Wellwood and Johnson.

You can add Shane O' Brien to the list. This team is a faster team than what we had last year and I firmly believe we have upgraded our talent level with those players, especially on our 4th line. No question staying healthy is a big factor as to why we are winning. We have better chemistry as a team this year with those players in the line-up than what we had last year. I'm giving credit where credit is due. For the most part, MG and his scouts did a very good job of scouting. Something which had been a problem here for years and wasn't addressed with DN at the helm.
I like Shane O'Brien, but you mentioned "talentless at forward". Half to three quarters of the upgrade on the speed front is because of Raymond, Hansen, and the continued development of Kesler and Burrows (Nonis). If you look at the improved play of late (say the last 6 games) it is all attributable to the defence and Luongo (Nonis). We really need an upgrade in the forwards.

Having said all that, MG hasn't done anything stupid and his emphasis on improved scouting and player development is certainly a step in the right direction. His other KEY change is in the grit department. The addition of Hordichuk and O'Brien will hopefully stop the opponents from taking free runs at our D and at Luongo. I have no real complaints about MG so far, but it will be interesting if he can get another top 6 forward (or two) with his $9M in cap space WITHOUT giving up a key piece of the puzzle. If he gets us Sundin I will be the first to say "good job". Whether it gets us a cup or not is questionable, but it certainly gives us a better shot and it costs us ZERO roster players.
Entwonder
CC Veteran

Post by Entwonder »

randymeeks wrote:
Lord only knows why Veenyo didn't allow last year's Canucks squad to play like they currently do (i.e. carrying the puck, etc.).....while Naslund was still here.

Enter MG and all bets were off. Mikey wanted more run-and-gun, Mikey got more run-and-gun.

Veenyo pretty much stated that he was handcuffed last year by injuries to the top D. I'd be curious how last years forwards would have done with all the D healthy.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Entwonder wrote:
randymeeks wrote:

Veenyo pretty much stated that he was handcuffed last year by injuries to the top D. I'd be curious how last years forwards would have done with all the D healthy.
Agreed, I don't see this years crop as all that more talented or faster than last years. Having early success with offence obviously makes it look better all around esp w/ last year's late season collapse still fresh in our pysche.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy