Canucks Preseason - 2022

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Preseason - 2022

Post by ESQ »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:40 pm
Physically push back once in awhile instead of always looking at or pleading with the refs. They're going to target you more if you just keep taking it. And if your teammates don't respond, there is a much bigger culture problem in the room.
I'm a big believer in playing to your strengths, and not trying to push a square peg into a round hole.

Or trying to push the skinniest player in the NHL to try to physically intimidate other players. You can respect that attitude, but let's get real here. Petey can do many things, but physically intimidate is not one of them.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The word intimidate was never used. Who's Pettersson going to intimidate?

The best players have a bit of snarl occasionally and won't take shit from opponents 100% of the time without an occasional response. Taking abuse after the whistle is not a strength. We're not saying Petey should be taking boxing lessons here.

Even Bure eventually took matters into his own hands against Churla. Once. Instead of continuing to take abuse. Why do we people keep deriding Daniel Sedin for taking all those Marchand punches when the game was already over? Same difference. Sometimes you just gotta say, I'm not taking it anymore and at least shove back and throw some F-bombs.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Good post Hank. It’s not about fighting, it’s about not being pushed around. The stick is a great equalizer. Always worked for me whether it was ice hockey or ball hockey.

I think some fans must be masochists that enjoyed Danny being speedbagged or Trevor Linden getting rag dolled. Pavel never put up with that shit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

The mother of all elbows. Probably the best retaliation ever by a post expansion superstar. Churla hit Bure while he was still getting up from the Ludwig hit, Pavel returns the favour.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:52 pm The mother of all elbows. Probably the best retaliation ever by a post expansion superstar. Churla hit Bure while he was still getting up from the Ludwig hit, Pavel returns the favour.

[youtube]
Can't ever get tired of that clip. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:04 pm Good post Hank. It’s not about fighting, it’s about not being pushed around. The stick is a great equalizer. Always worked for me whether it was ice hockey or ball hockey.

I think some fans must be masochists that enjoyed Danny being speedbagged or Trevor Linden getting rag dolled. Pavel never put up with that shit.
Would you put Bo in that same passive non violent Ghandi approach category that Hank and Trevor were in?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Y'know, honestly I never really recalled why Bure went crazy and took that cheap shot against Churla. I don't remember seeing the part where Churla took all those strides to charge Bure, who was already down on the ice from the Ludwig hit. Now that I've been reminded, I can clearly understand why.

Jeez, that's how playoff hockey used to be. Imagine our Nucks getting mercilessly run by cheapshot artists like Churla, Ludwig and Hatcher. Fuck, that was rough. You really can't call guys like Linden, Ronning, Adams or anyone of that era a pussy, if they played through that kind abuse. Even with Odjick, Momesso, Antoski, Diduck and other tough guys on the team, you still have to push back and protect yourself.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:21 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:04 pm Good post Hank. It’s not about fighting, it’s about not being pushed around. The stick is a great equalizer. Always worked for me whether it was ice hockey or ball hockey.

Would you put Bo in that same passive non violent Ghandi approach category that Hank and Trevor were in?
I think Bo could be a lot more physical. Bit of a softie for his size.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:36 pm I think Bo could be a lot more physical. Bit of a softie for his size.
A victim of the Sedin legacy in that regard, I think. I think he might still come around, though.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/137352

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/141025
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:36 pm

IMO it’s not about fighting it’s his passiveness on the ice that bothers me especially when not standing up for teammates.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:51 pm

IMO it’s not about fighting it’s his passiveness on the ice that bothers me especially when not standing up for teammates.
Totally agree. He should stick his nose in for his mates more often. He could also throw his body around more too. Funny thing is he’s a good fighter. He went toe to toe with Nurse and he beat the shit out of Acciari. Other than Schenn he’s probably the toughest guy on the team. But he’s got the Linden/Sedin gene.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I forgot about the Nurse fight, that's a heavyweight and Horvat stood in there just fine. Nurse is lucky he had the reach on him.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:03 pm

Totally agree. He should stick his nose in for his mates more often. He could also throw his body around more too. Funny thing is he’s a good fighter. He went toe to toe with Nurse and he beat the shit out of Acciari. Other than Schenn he’s probably the toughest guy on the team. But he’s got the Linden/Sedin gene.
Looking over those 2 fights he's had...Holy fuck! Who the hell knew he could chuck?

Whichever coach can unlock angry Bo would have him win a fuckin Conn Smythe trophy. Bruce needs to set him off somehow
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:03 pm

Yes, that’s what’s confusing to me as well because he’s actually a good fighter. I wonder if Hank mentoring him has something to do with it? He’s a bit to pragmatic out there
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:52 pm The mother of all elbows. Probably the best retaliation ever by a post expansion superstar. Churla hit Bure while he was still getting up from the Ludwig hit, Pavel returns the favour.

Churla shoulda got 2 for interference. His head clearly impeded Bure's elbow.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!