An Apathetic Death

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Where do you land in terms of give a shit factor?

Don't miss a game, plan the parade after a win and burn it all down in a total rage when they lose, wearing Canuck coloured shades 24/7.
4%
Regularly tune in, a win means a good day tomorrow and a loss means I'll be hyper-analyzing, hungover, and grumpy tomorrow.
8%
Regularly tune in, yell at the TV over mistakes, cheer the big plays, but once the game is over life goes on.
54%
Usually tune in, don't really care too much about the outcome, just watching to be up to speed in conversations at CC.
No votes
Usually tune in, but it's just out of habit and I'm probably doing something else at the same time.
8%
Half-time viewer, catch the highlights, salute the wins but don't get too hung up over a loss.
8%
Other priorities but will set the VCR and watch later while skipping commercials.
4%
The team is background noise, something to talk about but I don't give a shit either way.
No votes
Don't watch at all, I'm just here because the quality of reprobate on this hockey talk message board is so damned high.
15%

Total votes: 26

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: An Apathetic Death

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:50 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 am
donlever wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:54 am Weren't most of them back in the day....
I think there might be a skullet tossing story here :?
Haha you just know there is. Maybe dear old dad often yanked him outta there by the hair thus creating the infamous skullet
Actually old man brought me in there just once to meet Snepsts and Lever. There were strippers in there. I think I was 12 years old at the time? Lever and Snepsts became good friends with the old man, they practically lived down there. The old man had some good stories about some NHL’ers though, wish I could remember. He had a good one about Borge Salming there one night.
That would've been such a rush for a kid.

The DTES wasn't anywhere near as dangerous then as now. I used to go down on the Hastings express bus after school sometimes and ride home with mum. She worked at a place called central city mission as a nurse taking care of the residents of the hotels down there. Sometimes I'd go along to them and visit the old pisstanks and shit. Or I'd wander around Woodward's for hours...Army and Navy then Vic's for a grilled cheese sammich.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef must have gotten a couple tuggies from the crack whores in the DTES back in the day.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:53 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 am No, Derlago was especially bad, like almost Derek Sanderson Gary Lupul bad. Lever and Snepsts used to booze it up in the old man’s office often… along with strippers. Ole young Chef got to hang in there for a bit until the old man told me to get lost.
Myself, the ex and some of the boyz partied with Lupul and a couple of his android pals one night in the 90's at some point.

Keg Caesers, the Yale and Richard's.

Dude smoked weed like it was going out of style and drank like the proverbial fish.

I mean I put it back pretty good back then as well but for a little Dude he could drink.

A bit obnoxious but many are when they're as teed up as he was.
How I seem to recall is the GM at the time Milford I think it was got pissed off at the influencing some of the vets “Lever and Snepsts” had on their prized kids at the time “Derlago and Vaive” leading to him banning the players from visiting the establishment. They practically lived there outside of hockey. Regarding Derlago it was more about he couldn’t handle his booze, Old man said he was the worst of the bunch, always shit faced drunk. Lever and Snepsts could handle there booze. I seem to recall that Thomas Gradin loved his booze and that Smyl and Fraser were well behaved, not regulars down there. Jack McIlhargy was a regular as well as Williams.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:56 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:50 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 am
donlever wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:54 am Weren't most of them back in the day....
I think there might be a skullet tossing story here :?
Haha you just know there is. Maybe dear old dad often yanked him outta there by the hair thus creating the infamous skullet
Actually old man brought me in there just once to meet Snepsts and Lever. There were strippers in there. I think I was 12 years old at the time? Lever and Snepsts became good friends with the old man, they practically lived down there. The old man had some good stories about some NHL’ers though, wish I could remember. He had a good one about Borge Salming there one night.
That would've been such a rush for a kid.

The DTES wasn't anywhere near as dangerous then as now. I used to go down on the Hastings express bus after school sometimes and ride home with mum. She worked at a place called central city mission as a nurse taking care of the residents of the hotels down there. Sometimes I'd go along to them and visit the old pisstanks and shit. Or I'd wander around Woodward's for hours...Army and Navy then Vic's for a grilled cheese sammich.
Nowhere near as bad. It’s a damn shame what it’s become. As kids (cousins, brothers) we’d wander over to Chinatown right through main and Hastings through the alleys no problem. It’s a joke what it’s become, hung out at Oppenheimer all the time, although I did see my Mom get into a fight there with a drunk native lady, full fist fight. Might’ve been SKYO’s Mom.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:56 am That would've been such a rush for a kid.

You had money for the bus and grilled cheese sammies?? :wow:

Saaay... did you ever get mugged by a ruggedly handsome 10-year-old and his buddy of difficult-to-determine race?

Yeah we used to... walk :scowl: ... downtown all the time and rip stuff off from that Woodwards.

Then we'd live like kings on homemade slugs, playing pinball, sneaking into movies, and whatnot.

Yes, the streets were cleaner in those days, but we still had to step over the odd passed-out bum...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Yeah, going way back, I lived most of my early years in the Cedar Cottage area of East Van and spent more than my share of time wandering around Chinatown, Gastown, the DTES, and especially the Granville strip, and at no point was it even close to being the shithole it is now. All of it. I was down there pretty much every day in '76-'78, I never went to high school, but it all changed once my older friends got licenses and cars. Damn shame what's happened down there.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

My first job after graduating out of BCIT, was with an Architectural firm that worked in the Marine building on the corner of Hastings and Burrard. I lived in Burnaby at the time and used to take a bus down town from the park and ride across from the PNE grounds. My memories of the DTES are from the bus ride through that area twice a day. That was way back in '74 - and it was pretty bad then. If you guys are saying it wasn't bad back then, I can't imagine how bad it is now.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Some of the stories you hear about guys like Suitcase and Sneptsy et al are classic.

Even HoF'ers like Guy Lafleur were notorious for smoking and drinking up a storm.

Let's not even start with dudes like Messier and Fuhr.

I saw with my own eyes site favorite Geeee...no absolutely staggeringly gunned on more than one occasion.

Or you're saying Derlago was a step above?
Lafleur used to light up darts between periods, if I remember correctly, and got in a pretty bad "early morning" car accident. I saw Messier in fine form in spring of '86 while I was in Edmonton on some training. It was at a bar by the WEM, Denny Andrews?, and I was staying right across Stony Plain from it. Dude was definitely living large. Anderson was out there too.

Not sure if Derlago was a step above, Chef has a good handle on that one for sure, but I used to see him at a couple of my regular haunts in Mississauga when I lived out there from '90-'93. Most of the time by himself, it was after his playing days, and he was wearing biz casual clothes so I assume he worked in the general area. He'd be there longer than me, and that was long. lol.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

BCExpat wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:56 pm My first job after graduating out of BCIT, was with an Architectural firm that worked in the Marine building on the corner of Hastings and Burrard. I lived in Burnaby at the time and used to take a bus down town from the park and ride across from the PNE grounds. My memories of the DTES are from the bus ride through that area twice a day. That was way back in '74 - and it was pretty bad then. If you guys are saying it wasn't bad back then, I can't imagine how bad it is now.
Back then it was bums and drunks though, and they were relatively harmless.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Agreed.

We've talked about The Only here before but Dad started to take me down there to eat early to mid 70's.

In that restaurant one of those "bums", stinking of cheap booze, could easily be sitting beside me at the counter eating their clam chowder.

Dad used to joke with them and buy their lunch.

I don't recall feeling uncomfortable at all or ever.

It ain't that now.

Had to take someone from Ontario down there a couple of years back pre-Covid to look at a building.

Took him West to East down Hastings first so he could see what we were getting into.

Before getting out of the car all I said was...."keep your head up down here at all times..."
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Chef is one of the best shadow boxers in the DTES.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:16 pm The Chef is one of the best shadow boxers in the DTES.
I'm more interested in his and SKYOs mums scrapping it out in Oppenheimer park
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Thinking about tapping them too?
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

donlever wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:02 pm Thinking about tapping them too?
:twisted:

I could be The Dudes step dad.

Hey kid...pass me that baggie
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:57 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:16 pm The Chef is one of the best shadow boxers in the DTES.
I'm more interested in his and SKYOs mums scrapping it out in Oppenheimer park
Slight exaggeration, but there was a scrap, the drunk native gal didn’t like seeing the blonde Scot (me Ma) on her grounds competing for her men I suppose. It’s an image forever ingrained pretty good in ole Chefs mind.