Fighting in the NHL

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Fighting in the NHL

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:37 am Removing fighting from the game will not stop players from hurting each other. Far from it. Cheap shots will increase. Other ways to hurt will be employed. Ugly stuff like kneeing, kicking, butt ending, spearing, even spitting, the list goes on.
So if you make fighting illegal the players will engage in more illegal things? :?

"We're not allowed to fight so we'll do other things we're not allowed to do!" :lol:

"Let's have a spearing contest instead!!"

UMMMM... of all the illegal options that would be available, why wouldn't they just choose the illegal fighting option?

If deeming things illegal doesn't stop a thing from happening... oh nevermind.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:09 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:06 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:31 am My only preference is that whatever is decided be what what the players want, not what the League thinks the fans want.
Screw that, fans are footing the bill and deserve to be entertained.
Is the NHL not entertaining enough without fighting? #devilsadvocate
Nope. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Instead of fighting combatants should have to engage in thumb wrestling.
Except for a helmet, the loser has to play the rest of the game stripped to the waist.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:15 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:37 am Removing fighting from the game will not stop players from hurting each other. Far from it. Cheap shots will increase. Other ways to hurt will be employed. Ugly stuff like kneeing, kicking, butt ending, spearing, even spitting, the list goes on.
So if you make fighting illegal the players will engage in more illegal things? :?

"We're not allowed to fight so we'll do other things we're not allowed to do!" :lol:

UMMMM... of all the illegal options that would be available, why wouldn't they just choose the illegal fighting option?

Because they would get suspended. That is, presumably, how fighting would be removed from the game.

You're really stretching things to pick a fight with Mickey, Doc. But then, I think you know what he meant.

Anyways, this spearing contest suggestion is intriguing. So what do they do, pick a 3rd player and have a contest on who can spear him the best? Impalement is an automatic winner!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Because they would get suspended. That is, presumably, how fighting would be removed from the game.
UMMM they get suspended for those other things as well...

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:30 pm You're really stretching things to pick a fight with Mickey, Doc. But then, I think you know what he meant.
Re-read the part in red...

If a player is out to "hurt" an opposing player why would he avoid the now-illegal dropping of the gloves/pummeling in favour of long-illegal

... "kneeing, kicking, butt ending, spearing, even spitting". :crazy:

If you're going to break the law in order to "hurt" someone, why not just break the new No Dropping of Gloves law?

I think YOU are the one who failed to interpret the gomerese!

Of course I get the whole... 'Less cheap shots if you might have to answer for it' thing

... but that's not the argument Mick was making.

Uhhh-oh, here comes Micky to lie about what he really meant...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 pm Instead of fighting combatants should have to engage in thumb wrestling.
Except for a helmet, the loser has to play the rest of the game stripped to the waist.
Now THAT'S entertainment! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

They can't ban fighting unless they put more punitive measures in place for the stick work or bad hits etc that injure players or have an intent to injure. It means calling more penalties, almost making it a special teams game, maybe treating double minors like majors where the player sits for the full 4 minutes regardless of how many goals are scored and handing out more game misconducts and suspensions. Failing to put other measures in place while banning fighting would only lead to a complete shitshow some nights.

That being said, orchestrated fights with two players dropping the gloves immediately after a face off should be eliminated. They rarely if ever involve the offenders or aggrieved anyway.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Thanks for creating this thread Cornuck, it's become extra hard to get me to start a thread these days, Lord knows :lol:

Anyway, a lot has changed in the NHL game in the ten years or so since I started that thread at the other forum, the role of the designated fighter has all but vanished from the NHL game. Much better response here though I have to say and that thread was in a dedicated hockey fighting subforum mind you!

I do think today that I would augment the changes I recommended then (open hand palm strikes and close quarter forearm techniques) with chokes, arm locks and wrist locks from the standing position, these are submission holds that don't normally result in serious injury. Borowiecki-style tackles, trips and throws from the clinch I would continue to rule out, They're far too dangerous!

One idea that has been rattling around inside my head is to bring back the role of the designated hockey fighter for one or two coaches discretion fights. The coaches could be issued green flags which they could raise once or twice per game to signal a challenge to the fighter on the other teams bench. The fighters could then line up and fight at a designated fighting area, heck I'm really spit balling now but maybe the fighters could wear a different colored uniform to designate their limited role in the same way as the libero in volleyball does.

This is the great thing about fighting, there are endless style possibilities out there, I say we need not be wedded to past practices. Why not spice it up a little bit :)
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megs, I think your suggested changes would be highly entertaining... and I demand to be entertained!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm One idea that has been rattling around inside my head is to bring back the role of the designated hockey fighter for one or two coaches discretion fights. The coaches could be issued green flags which they could raise once or twice per game to signal a challenge to the fighter on the other teams bench. The fighters could then line up and fight at a designated fighting area, heck I'm really spit balling now but maybe the fighters could wear a different colored uniform to designate their limited role in the same way as the libero in volleyball does.
The the cage comes down from the ceiling to keep the linesmen out?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The point is, to take fighting out of the game will increase other penalties to the point there's simply too many crappy calls. You see it happening already. A good donnybrook quite often gives the game better flow.
I wouldn't be surprised if a game that didn't allow for any fighting would be boring. Just the anticipation one may happen adds to the interest.
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:07 pm I wouldn't be surprised if a game that didn't allow for any fighting would be boring.
So Olympic hockey is boring?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm Megs, I think your suggested changes would be highly entertaining... and I demand to be entertained!!
The fan has to come first. And the fan digs hockey fighting!

*the 'improvements' the other forum says it's undergoing are no improvements at all. My long standing animated Isolator avatar is animated no longer it seems :(
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:07 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm One idea that has been rattling around inside my head is to bring back the role of the designated hockey fighter for one or two coaches discretion fights. The coaches could be issued green flags which they could raise once or twice per game to signal a challenge to the fighter on the other teams bench. The fighters could then line up and fight at a designated fighting area, heck I'm really spit balling now but maybe the fighters could wear a different colored uniform to designate their limited role in the same way as the libero in volleyball does.
You get the idea Cornuck.

Two men enter, one man leaves!
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:07 pm
One of the men behind the creation of UFC was writer-director John Milius (Dirty Harry, Apocalypse Now, Red Dawn, Conan) and he originally planned to surround the cage with a moat full of crocs or gators. The cage was his idea.
el rey del mambo