2021 NHL Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2021 NHL Playoffs

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:51 pm Honestly, had Tavares not been hurt I think the leaves win the series. His loss was a big blow and they don't have the depth to overcome that loss. In close games, that all the games were, he would have made the difference as you have to believe he would have scored a goal here and there.
Sure, but that's one of the flaws of paying your 4 top forwards $40.5M.

If one of them goes down you're not going to have the depth to cover dat dere.

Maybe... maybe... they could have beaten Price and the Habs if Jammies didn't go down.

But the Habs are the worst team in the playoffs... and hey we'll never know.

The Leaves are a poorly constructed team, hopefully they never fire Dumbass...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:51 pm Honestly, had Tavares not been hurt I think the leaves win the series. His loss was a big blow and they don't have the depth to overcome that loss. In close games, that all the games were, he would have made the difference as you have to believe he would have scored a goal here and there.
The so called superstars are not the difference makers in the playoffs, especially of late. It’s goaltending, depth, 5 on 5 team play, team defence coaching, players all buying in, special teams
Yup.

The Habs were looking horrible early in the series.

But the more they played the Leaves, the more they realized they could beat those losers if they came together as a team.

That and Carey Price. :mex: Gotta love that guy right now...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:42 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 pm
The so called superstars are not the difference makers in the playoffs, especially of late. It’s goaltending, depth, 5 on 5 team play, team defence coaching, players all buying in, special teams
Yup.

The Habs were looking horrible early in the series.

But the more they played the Leaves, the more they realized they could beat those losers if they came together as a team.

That and Carey Price. :mex: Gotta love that guy right now...
As much as I hate when Travis has the boys dump and chase during the regular season, it really is key for playoff success, Toronto’s inability and unwillingness to play in the corners is what sunk them. Luckily we got high skill guys that love mucking it up and aren’t scared to play in the corners. Hoglander and podkolzin are great additions for that. Petey(although he tends to get manhandled) is more than willing to initiate contact (unlike little mitchy marner) in the corners and fight for pucks. The more I watch these playoffs the more I’m appreciating Travis, topper is right on the money with his opinion.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yup, did the Leaves win a single board battle is that series?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:09 pm Yup, did the Leaves win a single board battle is that series?
Hyman might have been the only one that did. I can’t wait to hear how drance is gonna twist this into a positive for Toronto.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:38 pm

Maybe... maybe... they could have beaten Price and the Habs if Jammies didn't go down.

Definitely the Leaves lack depth which is why they have to move Kerfoot and a high draft pick for cap space so they can sign Taylor Hall to a long term deal at $9 mil per. Normally they would pay more but they need room for Holtby's salary and to fill out the rest of the roster with Josh Leivo types at $700,000 per.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ :wink:
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:14 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:09 pm Yup, did the Leaves win a single board battle is that series?
Hyman might have been the only one that did. I can’t wait to hear how drance is gonna twist this into a positive for Toronto.
Yeah, it's hard not to appreciate Hyman's grit, he sticks out like a sore thumb on that team.

Speaking of "sore" pretty sure he rushed back too soon from that injury, he tends to do that.

He wasn't quite his usual self in my opinion...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I gotta point out that Pittsburgh was still dangerous with just Crosby or Malkin (not so dangerous in the playoffs without Crosby though even though Malkin won the Conn Smythe the one year). Granted the Pens have had their playoff flops too over the years. And they likely don't win the cup without Crosby or Malkin as the drop-off is pretty big after them. But the drop off isn't as big in Tarrana. Spezza, Thronton, and Kerfoot, are all still serviceable options as middle-6 centers. Hell, Spezza scored at a better than 0.5ppg pace this season getting only 11 minutes TOI.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, Kunitz, Hagelin, Bonino, Cullen, Hornqvist.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Galchenyuk, Spezza, Thronton, Hyman, Foligno, Simmond.

The difference is that Crosby makes 3rd line players produce at respectable 2nd line scoring rates (or better), and Malkin is just a beast who creates space with his "young Jagr puck-hog" style and guys like Rust clean up. Matthews doesn't do shit without either Marner or Nylander, and Tavares also doesn't also doesn't elevate his linemates to the same extent.

I'm sorry. There's no excuse. :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Tone has been hitting Drance hard on Twitter

Doyle! Getting UFA Foligno for a 1st rd and a 4th rd, your thoughts?

I see the Lamoriello Isles are looking good. Old man Tavares old team

The Kadri for Barrie (Edmonton) Kerfoot ($3.5 million) was a great trade for the Avs who are still in the playoffs

The Shanaplan
Gilman Capologist Guru
Burke, Drance, Shah, Paterson, Sekeres, Price, CanucksHF the Benning Hate Campaigners have been having sex with the leaves Analytics for 5 years running
4 - 1st round KO’s, 1 qualifying loss last 5 years
Gillis prodigy Malhotra was in charge of the leaves PP :lol:

Matthew’s $11.6 mil cap
Tavares $11 mil cap
Marner $10.9 mil cap
Nylander $6.9 mil cap
Muzzin $5.6 mil cap
Reilly $5 mil cap
Brodie $5 mil cap
Andersen $5 mil cap
Kerfoot $3.5 mil cap
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:19 am
The Tone has been hitting Drance hard on Twitter

Doyle! Getting UFA Foligno for a 1st rd and a 4th rd, your thoughts?

I see the Lamoriello Isles are looking good. Old man Tavares old team

The Kadri for Barrie (Edmonton) Kerfoot ($3.5 million) was a great trade for the Avs who are still in the playoffs

The Shanaplan
Gilman Capologist Guru
Burke, Drance, Shah, Paterson, Sekeres, Price, CanucksHF the Benning Hate Campaigners have been having sex with the Leaves Analytics for 5 years running
4 - 1st round KO’s, 1 qualifying loss last 5 years
Gillis prodigy Malhotra was in charge of the Leaves PP :lol:

Matthew’s $11.6 mil cap
Tavares $11 mil cap
Marner $10.9 mil cap
Nylander $6.9 mil cap
Muzzin $5.6 mil cap
Reilly $5 mil cap
Brodie $5 mil cap
Andersen $5 mil cap
Kerfoot $3.5 mil cap
Did I say the price they paid for Foligno was a good trade for Toronto?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The inpact elite goaltending has on a game (or series) is never acknowledged or appreciated until a 7 game series and when you dont have it. Carey Price stopped every single shot that wasnt tipped or deflected in the final half of that series

This is why having Demko as a young core piece bodes well for Vancouvers future. Hes an elite goalie who can stop everything and win you a series or 3.

Retarded Waldo's like Dumbass have never realized this. They will never acheive fuck all in the post season with this deficiency. Lets hope MLSE never offload the little twerp
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:03 am

I gotta point out that Pittsburgh was still dangerous with just Crosby or Malkin (not so dangerous in the playoffs without Crosby though even though Malkin won the Conn Smythe the one year). Granted the Pens have had their playoff flops too over the years. And they likely don't win the cup without Crosby or Malkin as the drop-off is pretty big after them. But the drop off isn't as big in Tarrana. Spezza, Thronton, and Kerfoot, are all still serviceable options as middle-6 centers. Hell, Spezza scored at a better than 0.5ppg pace this season getting only 11 minutes TOI.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, Kunitz, Hagelin, Bonino, Cullen, Hornqvist.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Galchenyuk, Spezza, Thronton, Hyman, Foligno, Simmond.

The difference is that Crosby makes 3rd line players produce at respectable 2nd line scoring rates (or better), and Malkin is just a beast who creates space with his "young Jagr puck-hog" style and guys like Rust clean up. Matthews doesn't do shit without either Marner or Nylander, and Tavares also doesn't also doesn't elevate his linemates to the same extent.

I'm sorry. There's no excuse. :lol:
Spezza was always slow, but now he's as slow as molasses in Nunavut!

He's good in the dot still though and he still has some of his scoring instincts

... if he can get to the net in time. :D

There are reasons he only receives 4th line icetime.

He did catch fire down the stretch and into the playoffs this year though.

But if you're counting on Spezza to fill in on the "middle-6", you're asking for trouble.

There are reasons he's a minimum NHL wage earner.

Thornton? Yeahno, he's done like dinner at midnight in Nunavut!

Pretty much ALL Leaf fans at HF wanted him the fuck out of the lineup since mid-season.

They were going mad trying to figure out why Keefe kept playing him on PP#2.

(sure he put up a few points early in the season riding with M+M, but YOU would have too)

Slow in every meaning of the word now, and seems disinterested... I say he retires.

Skills have eroded to ECHL levels.

Like Spezza, Thornton should be playing 4th line minutes or serve as a practice dummy.

Kerfoot is better than those two at this point, but he still sucks.

Kerfoot is not offensive enough to be a top sixer and not defensive enough to be a checking centre.

He also sucks at faceoffs... which is partly why he always ends up on the wing.. also he's a little weeny.

Now THIS YEAR, he shocked everyone, myself included, with his performance filling in for Tavares.

He was a man possessed as far as playing the body and going to the net... who was that guy!

But he was worse than ever in the dot and so-so defensively and just okay offensively.

(he grabbed a bunch of assists due to his winger Nylander turning into an offensive dynamo for some reason)

So I disagree with you about those centres, but I agree with everything else in your post.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Man what an atmosphere in that building tonight.

Ron Maclean didn't get me sufficiently stoked for all of this.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The dead buildings are sucking the life out of the English Canadian teams.

It's an unnatural environment...
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I guess those 8 days off for the Jets were a few too many.

Pounding Habs physically though...
____
Try to focus on someday.