2021 Off-Season Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What do you think will happen this summer? (not what you want to happen)

Poll ended at Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:11 pm

The Aquilini Family will sell the team.
No votes
Jim Benning and Travis Green will be shown the door.
7%
Benning goes but Travis Green will be resigned.
4%
Benning stays but Green is not resigned.
52%
Aquilini, Benning and Green will all be back.
37%

Total votes: 27

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: 2021 Off-Season Predictions

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

ex TSN radio guy Andy Cole is awake:
Andy Cole
@AndyCole1984
knowing Canucks fan luck, Aquilini will announce Benning’s dismissal immediately followed by the announcement that he himself will be taking over as general manager
https://twitter.com/AndyCole1984/status ... 35938?s=20

Andy Cole
@AndyCole1984
Replying to
@AndyCole1984
AQUILINI:when you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself! *presses play on a tape deck situated right next to him and Rock You Like A Hurricane starts playing*
https://twitter.com/AndyCole1984/status ... 91523?s=20
el rey del mambo
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

No surprise, Megs.

Franky also brought in Mafia Don Tortorella and forced Professor Gilly to read off the teleprompter like it was his call.

Why do you think Trevor ended up as a speedbump somewhere when he questioned the way the team was being rebuilt. Again Big Frank had Jimmy invite Trev into his office that was lined with plastic and proceeded to baseball bat him back into the fitness business.

You could clearly tell he was not happy to have to be in the same arena as the owner and GM at the Twins jersey retirement. He didn't even try to hide his disdain as he walked by them to his seat without once looking at them.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:54 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:49 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:48 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:10 pm Some folks think that some players may already have spoken up a bit and that has been the catalyst for a potential change. I guess we’ll find out later this week.
Is this supposedly regarding Benning or coaching?
I hear players weren’t impressed that Travis had to take the questions regarding Jake or that Miller had to speak up regarding the return to play.
Where are you hearing this?
The talking heads on 650 -they heard it from Patrick Johnson
I also heard that Jim proposed a plan to sign Toffoli, buyout Sutter and move out other contracts but the Aqualini’s said no. Doyle, open your eyes, it’s not all Bennings doing ffs. The Aqualini’s didn’t want to spend a dime this year. They’ve set Jim up to fail, he’s their fall guy. The owners are a problem, they are vicious, they became a problem for Gillis like they became for Nonis.
I don’t like any of that chef....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Okay guys, I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up a little when I read this post.

The truth shimmering like a rare jewel in the sun:
wow. what happened to you?

i agree with beached clean. the problem here and especially the management thread has been the insane lengths people have gone to here to make everything benning's fault down to the ridiculous efforts to cherry pick draft picks he gets credit for in an effort to deny him any credit at all for the amazing draft crop we have.

we would all be way better off without these ridiculous arguments and the endless airing of grievance posts.

benning executed a strategy decided by someone else. somebody kept on spending money every offseason like it was burning a hole his pocket with unnecessary signings. what started out as dubious but defensible retool gamble has gradually degenerated into pathological behaviour at the craps table.

there is no way that behaviour would be tolerated by an owner for so long unless it was the owner's strategy.

95% of what is wrong with this team can be found in that long series of bad overextended bets on aging players.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... -177992982
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:02 pm No surprise, Megs.

Franky also brought in Mafia Don Tortorella and forced Professor Gilly to read off the teleprompter like it was his call.

Why do you think Trevor ended up as a speedbump somewhere when he questioned the way the team was being rebuilt. Again Big Frank had Jimmy invite Trev into his office that was lined with plastic and proceeded to baseball bat him back into the fitness business.

You could clearly tell he was not happy to have to be in the same arena as the owner and GM at the Twins jersey retirement. He didn't even try to hide his disdain as he walked by them to his seat without once looking at them.
You see it too eh Carl.

Once you see it, everything Canucks begins to make sense.
el rey del mambo
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:19 pm You see it too eh Carl.

You could probably have seen it before they even bought the team. Remember what happened to his bidding "partner", Tommy G?

Nonis had no chance. He thought he was meeting his new bosses but he didn't see MG hiding behind the curtains.

Then, they wanted to keep the gravy train going and made the signing of Torts. I'm sure Gilly did not want to get rid of AV.

Trev was a total PR move, a hire to cut the most successful GM and also fix his coaching "mistake". At the time, I thought if they had any foresight, they should keep Torts around for at least another year so they can really hit rock-bottom and rebuild properly. Of course, they didn't see the team as stale.

We've always known the owners were totally hands on. We can only guess how many decisions were actually theirs and not from their hockey ops.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:37 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:19 pm You see it too eh Carl.

You could probably have seen it before they even bought the team. Remember what happened to his bidding "partner", Tommy G?

Nonis had no chance. He thought he was meeting his new bosses but he didn't see MG hiding behind the curtains.

Then, they wanted to keep the gravy train going and made the signing of Torts. I'm sure Gilly did not want to get rid of AV.

Trev was a total PR move, a hire to cut the most successful GM and also fix his coaching "mistake". At the time, I thought if they had any foresight, they should keep Torts around for at least another year so they can really hit rock-bottom and rebuild properly. Of course, they didn't see the team as stale.

We've always known the owners were totally hands on. We can only guess how many decisions were actually theirs and not from their hockey ops.
If only Tommy G had prevailed eh Carl.

Trev had made it clear to anyone who wanted to listen that he wanted to get as far way from the game of hockey as humanly possible. Zero interest in staying in the game, but the family made him an offer he couldn't refuse and then when he tried to intervene in the insanity he was told to shut up and go sign autographs like a good boy.

And yeah Torts was obviously a family signing. Gillis had nothing to do with that and he was gone the second he tried to assert some authority. I operate under the assumption that all decisions are from Big Frank and the family unless there is concrete evidence pointing elsewhere. There is no chance all of these awful, franchise crippling July 1 FA signing are the work of professional hockey people. Except for the draft, the family does delegate the draft and amateur scouting to staff. Except for Jake Virtanen, that was Aquilini.
el rey del mambo
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:01 pm I honestly think the Aquas are managing the team and Jim is what the La Cosa Nostra refers to as a “Front Boss”. Made to look like the boss to deflect the feds away from who really is the boss. A Dupe persey. Dupe’s are notorious in the stock market. Stock promoters set up Dupe accounts with firms and manipulate stock and evade taxes by trading through an account belonging to a dupe, the Dupes are given a small percentage. The Dupes are usually the drunks, the drug addicts, the desperate
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:32 pm Great post Chef, as most know I have long believed that Big Frank is the real director of the hockey operation with Jimmy serving as trusted advisor running the draft (except in the case of Virtanen - that was Mr Aquilini's call) and flak catching figurehead but I did not realize the deep Italian mafia roots of this kind of management structure until know. I'm grateful for your sharing of your expertise in this important area of the operation, it sheds further light on the murky goings on inside the belly of the beast.
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:54 pm I also heard that Jim proposed a plan to sign Toffoli, buyout Sutter and move out other contracts but the Aqualini’s said no. Doyle, open your eyes, it’s not all Bennings doing ffs. The Aqualini’s didn’t want to spend a dime this year. They’ve set Jim up to fail, he’s their fall guy. The owners are a problem, they are vicious, they became a problem for Gillis like they became for Nonis.
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:15 pm Okay guys, I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up a little when I read this post.

The truth shimmering like a rare jewel in the sun:

...benning executed a strategy decided by someone else. somebody kept on spending money every offseason like it was burning a hole his pocket with unnecessary signings. what started out as dubious but defensible retool gamble has gradually degenerated into pathological behaviour at the craps table.

there is no way that behaviour would be tolerated by an owner for so long unless it was the owner's strategy.

95% of what is wrong with this team can be found in that long series of bad overextended bets on aging players.[/i]
ukcanuck wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:43 am But consensus seems to be that Francesco wanted a retool for the twins. To me that makes Francesco an emotional sap and the one who can’t handle a rebuild and it really kind of removes the criticism from Benning and it seems like it will make it tough to get a proven championship builder in here. IMO

Somebody ought to explain to Francesco quit fucking around with the team and act like a proper billionaire and piss off to the caymans to wait for the profits to roll in.
There are three tragedies (in the hockey fan scale of things) in this position. In ascending order:

1) We aren't exactly tilling new ground, here:
Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:14 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:50 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 pm the rebuild that they were attempting, one that tries to remain competitive and has roster players who are vets that can help show kids what it takes to play in the NHL and are still of an age that they might be useful pieces when the team is winning again.
And this, this "re-tool on the fly" concept, is my principle objection to the Benning era. He might have done it as well as it could be done, but it was a foolish plan that cost them resources and time on the real rebuild.
And I remain unconvinced that this was Benning's plan.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:36 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:45 am I agree with Blob, the owners meddling have completely turned this organization one of the most confused organizations in the league, they need to let their “hockey people” they hire [d]o their job.... Holy fuck are we trouble
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:02 pm So when ownership tells Gilllis to hire Torterella cause he’s Italian that’s normal?
micky107 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 am There is NO confirmed proof or anything, other than speculation. None.
rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:40 am How would you know?
Or maybe you've done some research that tells you Vancouver and Ottawa are unique?
Just throwing stuff out there to suit your bias is a good example of the second comment regarding fans patience.
No, we have no proof, but my goodness Royal Dude's interpretation is an awfully good fit with what we can observe from outside the organization.
The franchise's situation has CanucksCorner chasing its tail.

2) Canucks fans already have to eat many bitter "what might have beens".
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:50 am
Perhaps it is the lone Achilles heal in what would otherwise be a brilliant suite of GM talent, and Benning will go on to tremendous success in another franchise where the ownership group is easier to manage.
3) But we're used to an unpleasant past. Worst of all is no hope for the future.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:27 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:14 pm
Jimmy is practically perfect in every way.

Trust me, blame Aquaman for everything...
This view offers little hope for disappointed Canucks fans. If the problem is Benning, then hope is just a good personnel decision on the part of ownership away. If the problem is ownership, then this is nothing to hope for until problems elsewhere in their financial empire force the Little Eagles to sell. You're essentially telling Canucks fans that they're in the position of Harold Ballard era Leaves fans.

Note that I'm not saying you're wrong...
It's not like we can chant, or rent an airplane banner that says, "Fire Aquilini".

The only things I can think of to do are:

a) stay away so the franchise loses money, and the Little Eagles are motivated to sell to another ownership group, which we can hope will be more enlightened

b) pick a second favourite surrogate team to cheer for in the mean time

If one of you has a better plan, I'd be happy to read about it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If only Trevor would talk......
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:25 am If only Trevor would talk......
Or Edler but that aint ever going to happen.... Wids, you probably know more about it then I do but I can see a scenario where Linden was hired to
bring a popular name in to a deteriorating franchise reputation and make it better. He hired Jim. All's well.
There could have bee tiffs though I never detected much.
Could it have simply been about money? Could the family have gone to Jim and asked him if he could handle all the responsibility?
Would that explain the animosity? Did Jim complain about some of his ideas getting shot down?
Doubt Trevor ever talks. Doubt Jim ever talks.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ask him next time he helps you cross the street
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Alex Blair (sn650) on twitter saying change within the organization could be coming today...whatever that means.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Heard from a very reliable source: Ian Clarke is 100% gone (that is what the source told me)
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

theman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:27 am Heard from a very reliable source: Ian Clarke is 100% gone (that is what the source told me)
Wonder if that would be about a contract (money) or simply he wants to move to different project. I actually though a long time ago he would start his own company instead of attaching himself to a single team...
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Micky wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:48 am
Or Edler but that aint ever going to happen.... Wids, you probably know more about it then I do but I can see a scenario where Linden was hired to
bring a popular name in to a deteriorating franchise reputation and make it better. He hired Jim. All's well.
Could it have simply been about money? Could the family have gone to Jim and asked him if he could handle all the responsibility?
Would that explain the animosity? Did Jim complain about some of his ideas getting shot down?
Doubt Trevor ever talks. Doubt Jim ever talks.
Lol..

Gomer talking like he is an "insider" with a source of some kind!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.