Worst Season Ever?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Worst Season Ever?

Post by Cornuck »

Disclaimer: I'm not referring to the 'on ice product', but instead to the many things outside of the team's control that have possibly made this the worst season ever.

We start the year with high expectations after a 'bubble' playoff performance that exceeded all expectations.
We lose 2 popular, talented vets (and Toffoli).
We don't have a pre-season.
We play the same teams over and over.
We play the most condensed schedule in (possibly?) league history for the first 1/2 of the shortened season.
We lose our Pettersson for the second half of the season.
We have Covid run rampant through the team.
Our mid-season break becomes (possibly?) the longest mid-season break in NHL history.
We have a very condensed schedule to finish out the season.
A player is accused of sexual misconduct.
The season isn't over.
We will get fucked over in the draft (pretty much a foregone conclusion).

This all adds up to a pretty shitty season. Granted, these guys are paid a shitload of money to play this game, so I'm not feeling sorry for them. As Canuck fans we're used to putting up with a lot of crap, but is this the year we can all just say, "What the actual fuck?".

Followup question: Was the Messier signing worse than all of the above?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Worst Season Ever?

Post by ESQ »

You may be right, but I took the approach of writing off the season, due to covid guaranteeing it would be silly.

That took a lot of the sting out of something you failed to include - the tremendous ufa losses in the off-season.

Even though I should be tremendously disappointed in the let down from last year's playoffs, it really hasn't bothered me since I wrote them off (emotionally) months ago
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I still have hope for this core. When Messier was here, I’d lost all hope. So, this is not the worst season ever, but it is the worst schedule ever.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ESQ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:43 pm You may be right, but I took the approach of writing off the season, due to covid guaranteeing it would be silly.
I'm in the same boat - I had a GIANT asterisk marked on the season before it began, but.... still... really? Did we need all this shit?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It’s not a proper season, always felt that way, kind of like a make believe season but we are the beneficiaries of it as it killed off a year on some shitty contracts
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:54 pm ...it killed off a year on some shitty contracts
We'll add that to the 'plus' side.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

+ the Luongo recapture! outside of current regime's control, at least there's only one more season left for that.

One of the most grueling season's from an outside perspective with off ice issues, covid, ultra condensed schedule, etc etc.

At least everyone is getting their covid vaccines and the entire BC should have had at least one shot by the summer.

Silver linings, our farm team prospects are prospering! our young core develops another year...IT's a SHORT season!

Eriksson likely bought out out!
UFA/contracts moving on: Baertschi, Spooner, Sutter, Vesey, Boyd, Chatfield.
Don't know about Edler/Hamonic they both could re-sign cheap.
Seattle taking a player.
& the Russians coming over pretty damn quick.

:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm Followup question: Was the Messier signing worse than all of the above?
YES!

*climbs into Corn's good books*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Only playing six other teams. I know other teams are there to watch but it's not the same as our Canucks playing them.
I very much miss the whole Enchilada. I remember not so long ago, looking forward to a back to back pair of games. With different teams even! :drink:
All the reasons listed above and there is no doubt this is the worst season in this team's history..At least they're playing through it all.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm Disclaimer: I'm not referring to the 'on ice product', but instead to the many things outside of the team's control that have possibly made this the worst season ever.

Absolutely, the best part is that most people won't even realize it! Here's why.....

This year we will win the lottery as compensation for our worst season of all time luck and schedule and everything. In fact, the league will probably engineer it that way to keep Canuck fans engaged and attempt to have them empty their pockets on merchandise related to the franchise's first ever #1 OA pick.

What ends up happening is that the Canucks finally get a 1 OA pick in a crappy year where scouting has been very hard and the player you draft has a lesser chance of actually being the player you wanted/needed. Then, thanks largely to cap management issues and recaptures, the Canucks will have 2 more years of lottery finishes and be held exempt from the 1 OA lottery for Bedard's draft year because they got a 1 OA this year.

Perfect. Storm.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:34 pm
Cornuck wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm Disclaimer: I'm not referring to the 'on ice product', but instead to the many things outside of the team's control that have possibly made this the worst season ever.

Absolutely, the best part is that most people won't even realize it! Here's why.....

This year we will win the lottery as compensation for our worst season of all time luck and schedule and everything. In fact, the league will probably engineer it that way to keep Canuck fans engaged and attempt to have them empty their pockets on merchandise related to the franchise's first ever #1 OA pick.

What ends up happening is that the Canucks finally get a 1 OA pick in a crappy year where scouting has been very hard and the player you draft has a lesser chance of actually being the player you wanted/needed. Then, thanks largely to cap management issues and recaptures, the Canucks will have 2 more years of lottery finishes and be held exempt from the 1 OA lottery for Bedard's draft year because they got a 1 OA this year.

Perfect. Storm.
It doesn't work that way Mëds:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 14#p427514
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:43 pm
Mëds wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Perfect. Storm.
It doesn't work that way Mëds:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 14#p427514
Gary and Daly will change it post hence.

Just like they did with the Luongo recapture. :evil:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:46 pm Just like they did with the Luongo recapture. :evil:
It's gonna be so nice to get out from under dat dere... and some of the other contracts.

One way or another, should be a big load off over the next 14 months.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:54 pm It’s not a proper season, always felt that way, kind of like a make believe season but we are the beneficiaries of it as it killed off a year on some shitty contracts

That’s my take as well. The year was a write-off from the start.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Whoa! Blast from the past.
Strangelove wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:54 pm It's gonna be so nice to get out from under dat dere... and some of the other contracts.

One way or another, should be a big load off over the next 14 months.
Big loads will be dropped eh, Doc?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!