Worst Season Ever?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Worst Season Ever?

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 am Boeser is expendable before either of Miller or Horvat Vinner. He looks like he wears his dads skates out there
Well he's right up there in points with them so expendable wouldn't be a word I'd use. I thought Pettersson was just starting to return to form a bit then this W/E injury crops up. I think the wrist thing can be tracked down to some guy (Taj) or something on twitter.
It's not simply hockey skill that makes Pete so valuable, it's his spontaneous creativity which if there's anyone that could pick up on it has been Boeser.
It's been good match. I will say Boeser's skating was great (better than it was) this year up till recently. No one will argue the importance of Horvat.
He has his off night like everyone. Miller is struggling with something, although the point total is decent, Just frustrated with everything I guess.

One very disappointing aspect of this season is Quinn Hughes's 2:50--3:00 minute shifts. I guess Green just allows it but is that smart?
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cornuck wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Followup question: Was the Messier signing worse than all of the above?

YES.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 am
Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:21 am
ukcanuck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:25 am Worst year ever...
In 51 years the shitty seasons just sort of melt into each other, don’t you think?

After a parade of bad luck that can only be marvelled at the only question left to ask is what’s next?

Seattle’s first year roster will be better than the Canucks after 51 years of trying to get it right?

I feel like that is the next ignominy a losing record against Seattle for the next decade.
Next year expectations will be extra low for those who dont see the forest for the trees.

This team is actually set up well to graduate from up and coming into an actual contender within a couple years and the less the opposition respects the canucks the better in this situation.
Our blueline is a shambles of soft ineptitude. We have nobody graduating into the NHL ranks next year who can bring what this team is missing on the backend. Juolevi is shaping up to be a serviceable 5/6 guy, but nothing that isn't relatively easily replaced in either free agency or via an unremarkable trade.

If talent equates to red blood cell levels then our bottom-6 is anemic like none other. We have a couple guys who can play in those roles with hustle and heart, but they lack size and skill.....none of them are centermen.

So, I mean, if by graduate you mean that in 2 years we will be positioned well for Elmer to have to go overspend (again) on free agent help in the bottom-6.....then yes, I agree.
Remember, our top offensive center has barely played this year. The group endured a nightmare with the plague running through the room just as the group had started to gel and win games.
And we won more games without him than we did with him. Petey is a super talented kid, but I'm not sold on him as a consistent elite difference maker yet. So far it seems that teams that play him hard will be able to shut him down.
The impact of The Pod is going to be a revelation. I have no doubts on this....the kid is a star in the making

No, next year they will be a vastly improved group who will be catching teams with their pants down
Is this based on all the games you've watched him play in? :P

Insert Tryamkin in place of The Pod and I feel like I've read that somewhere before. :P
Pettersson has hardly held the teams' success back Mëds. He rose to the occasion against quality teams that deployed elite "shut down" centers against him and more than held his own. One of his attributes (until this season) has been an ability to force turnovers and backcheck like a dog on a bone. There have even been Datsyukian comparisons and the only reason he hasn't reached this level is endurance/strength/stamina....which also took PD quite a few years of training to reach his elite performance level. Nobody knows when Petterson was injured. It could've been early or even last summer. All we know is he was unusually ineffective in his role.

My money is on a bounce back to elite once he is finally healed up for next season
Where did I say he held them back? I'm just saying that he's not as critical to winning and success as some people think and that the team has had more success without him this year than when he was in the lineup.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Or if hes healthy they win 3 of 4 against ottawa, split with TO and are in control of their playoff destiny. Then... win their division against a bunch of career playoff chokers.

Hardly far fetched and then we arent wringing hands and panties over the teams imaginary failings

:mex:
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:31 am Either way they will be saying adios to one of Horvat or Miller within two years. Can’t keep both.
Wrong.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:58 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:31 am Either way they will be saying adios to one of Horvat or Miller within two years. Can’t keep both.
Wrong.
Depends on their ask.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:01 pm
Wrong.
Depends on their ask.
He also bumped his gums that Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli were all coming back.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:09 pm
Wrong.
Depends on their ask.
He also bumped his gums that Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli were all coming back.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That sir, is a boldfaced lie, nothing new, nothing new.

In fact your little bum buddy there just checked the archives on my Toffoli thoughts yesterday.

And after Bubble Demko, I, like everyone else here, were firmly in the Let-Markstrombone-Walk camp.

Tanev, I said all along that if he wanted too much money/term, let him walk.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Wrong.
Depends on their ask.
No it doesn't.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Oh hey, I thought of another way this is the worst season ever.

In was just like a being BC Lions fan in the 70’s, with regular ass kickings from all the same cities, only missing Hamilton.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If there was a shitty season to have it was during a fucked up world halting pandemic. We will get a good prospect out of the 2021 draft, it would be real painful if this lottery pick was going to Jersey (Miller trade) but it ain’t. Next year we will be back in a glorious way with a great addition to the prospect pool and another delightful top end prospect-Podkolzin graces us, a healthy Petey, an emerging Hoglander and Rathbone, a reinvigorated Hamonic, a no longer Sutter, Baertschi contract, one season left with Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson.

All is very well!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think most everyone was of the view that we had to let Markstrom and Tanev walk if the demands for cap and term were too long. It's just too bad covid hit because we were on are way to missing the playoffs and maybe, just maybe the TDD last year may have been a chance to unload at least one of them. Tanev for sure would have been highly sought after. Be that as it may, letting them walk was the right thing to do.

TT was the guy I wanted back. I thought he clicked well with our top nine. I was all for letting Jake walk or trading him at the draft for whatever we could get. Jake was always sought by other GMs but I doubt that is now the case. His trade value dipped each year to the point where he isn't worth much. But if he survives this scandal Benning has got to punt him.

I think he trades Lind. He looks like that tweener type who Benning will quickly asses has no future on the Canucks. This off season will be interesting. I just hope Benning doesn't go UFA crazy. Looking forward to finding out what Beagle's injury is and if he is done.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah my one criticism of Benning is keeping Virtanen and letting Toffoli walk
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:25 am
Cornuck wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Followup question: Was the Messier signing worse than all of the above?

YES.
+1
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Seriously Mëds??
Mëds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:32 am I'm just saying that he's not as critical to winning and success as some people think
Last year's playoffs beg to differ, along with his slow start to this year. matching the team's crappy start.
and that the team has had more success without him this year than when he was in the lineup.
That carefully ignores every other factor at play, including other key injuries, lack of practice and rest days, 2 goalies that played the first half of the season like AHL goalies, and a general up-tick in play across the board. Correlation does not mean causation.

Mëds, I can agree with you that Pete isn't critical to the team successfully being an almost playoff team, but if we are going to go deep into the playoffs, and *cough* win a cup *cough*, Pete is going to be 100% critical to a team effort.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!